Wing Foiling

Lavalette, Seaside, Bayville, Pleasantville. It’s hard. Really hard. I haven’t given up yet.

Nope!

I have gone out in Atlantic Highlands. It was really shallow though.
Check out the bayside of lot#3 at Sandy Hook, always a few folks out there when there is wind. Though most are kite surfing there are a few foiling. Wing foiling is the way to go, kiting just takes forever to setup and put away.

I'm heading to Hawaii in January. Was thinking about wind surfing lessons. Do I start there or go right to foil?

Wing Foiling is fairly new. You would either wind surf (could also wind surf on foil) or wing foil. I started wing foiling on a wind surf board. I needed to learn how to manage the wing before I tried to get up on foil.

If you are interested in learning about wing foiling before you go to Hawaii check out Damian LeRoy on YouTube.
Which wetsuit are you using? Planning to get a kit for myself as a Xmas present. Coincidentally my brother just went to Hawaii to foil and windsurf.

i'm watching a guy right now...looks like

257404435_4597243613669246_979024762462881095_n__38751.1662748062.1500.1500__17540.1675447428.jpg

couple people kite boarding too. Getting huge air.

I'm heading to Hawaii in January. Was thinking about wind surfing lessons. Do I start there or go right to foil?
I've been windsurfing for 15 years. I got a foil for my board a few years ago and I'm still learning it (but it's crazy fun).
You definitely need to start with the non-foil version of the sport whether it be windsurf, kite or wing so you can focus on controlling the wind and using the wind to balance yourself.
What's great about the foil is you don't need as much wind so you don't need a super windy day and lakes are more usable.
I actually think the Wing has the most mass market appeal compared to windsurfing and kitesurfing. Less complicated and less gear.

2021-10-17 12.41.59.jpg
I windfoil all the time at Round Valley.

@JPark I always wanted to kite board but it always intimidated me. When my friend started wing foiling 4 years ago he said I have to try it. I took lessons 2 years ago and I am hooked. I haven’t gotten out consistently the last couple years but this past fall I finally put it all together. Like you said the setup is easy (although it takes some time).

@JPark I always wanted to kite board but it always intimidated me. When my friend started wing foiling 4 years ago he said I have to try it. I took lessons 2 years ago and I am hooked. I haven’t gotten out consistently the last couple years but this past fall I finally put it all together. Like you said the setup is easy (although it takes some time).
The foils have gotten much better the past few years too. Both in terms of low wind performance and stability. My original foil was really hard to keep level flight but my new one made a world of difference.

Where do you normally sail?

Lavalette, Seaside, Bayville, Pleasantville.

I’ve gone down a rabbit hole. I have three boards each progressively getting larger. I thought I could grow into a 95 liter board and 1850 cm2 foil but I just can’t get started in the chop with this board. So I now have a 130 l and just bought a 155 l. I also just bought a huge Fanatic/Duotone foil 2400 cm2. I demoed this foil and made a huge difference. It’s very stable and reacts slowly. I can get up on foil but I can’t hold it for long. When I took a lesson and demoed the 155 liter board with 2400 cm2 foil it was like putting on training wheels. I could actually stay up on foil. I couldn’t duplicate it yet on my own equipment so I went out and got the same setup I had during my lesson. With no kiting or windsurfing experience I decided I really needed the huge board and foil regardless what Greenhat and MAC have told me.

Back
Top Bottom