Widow Maker and others?

syncroscat

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what are all of the names that people call the various features on the Kittatinny trails and where they are located. I know of Three Sisters, Grave Yard and Marble Shoot. Someone mentioned Widow Maker, but I'm not sure where that is. :hmmm:
Thanks.

my friends and I have obscure names for all the trails there, but I am pretty sure that the only trail name that is universal throughout people who have been to the park is the "the needle"

left, center or right side of the needle?

left for a steady burn to the top
right for 5 separate lung burners
center just to realize that it was only meant to go down (if you can honestly tell me you made it from bottom to top w/o getting off, I will buy you a beer immediately)

I am not too familiar with KV where is this "Needle" you speak of?.... and git yer beer money out! :D

I've made it alllllll the way to the last log on he last leg without unclipping. Had to put a foot down for that log.

I've never heard anyone refer to the Needle before. Is the Needle on the side with the climb to the fire tower? If so, sounds like Widow Maker is the left of the Needle...going up?

Maybe Rob could help me get this all figured out. :drooling:

The needle is the rEd and white superstructure radio tower thing that is visible from nearly any point in the park. It is on the north side or "non-race" side of Goodale road, across from the field parking area. I've been riding KVSP since '99 and I've never heard any of these trail names though I'm sure the guys at Cycle Works would know the names.

t for a steady burn to the top
right for 5 separate lung burners
center just to realize that it was only meant to go down (if you can honestly tell me you made it from bottom to top w/o getting off, I will buy you a beer immediately)

Was out there today. Did the right - red - side and down the middle. Middle is hard to go up, I am sure there are plenty of folks out there who can, but I just don't have that same oil in the engine.

"the needle" in fact refers to the left and right trails that lead up to the tower as in "threading the needle" left to right or right to left.

I will buy a six pack of choice (whether it is 4.99 bud or 16.99 ruination) to the first person to helmet or bar cam there ascent of the middle tower trail from bottom to top w/o stopping!:popcorn:

I can do the red up (right side - 5 lung burners) and the yellow (left) up from the lake and then backtrack down the red without stopping. I try to do this once a week for conditioning. three years ago on my 26er geared bike I did what gtluke posted; went up the middle and on my third or fourth try I got to the last log right near the top without stopping, but I had nothing left to get over the log. I usually go down the middle and then back around and up yellow from the lake.

it is such a blast going back down red after all that climbing. this is one of my favorite spots. When I got back into mtn biking a few years ago I started exploring KVSP by just following trails off the rr bed trail and when I tried going up Red to the tower, I was really challenged.

how bout the white climb from the parking lot by the bathroom? for a while this year there was a good size tree down right up by the top which made a good excuse to get off. I rarely make it to the top of this one without pushing the last few feet. the roots, ruts and rocks kill me right at the top.

Back
Top Bottom