Kittatinny Valley State Park
From mtbNJ.com Wiki
- Glacial lakes, limestone outcroppings, former railroads, and a small airport are features of Kittatinny Valley State Park (KVSP). Lake Aeroflex and Gardner's Pond form part of the headwaters of the Pequest River and are excellent for fishing and boating. This scenic property is home to a variety of wildlife such as whitetail deer, wild turkey, a variety of songbirds, beaver, muskrats, and squirrels. KVSP is also home to the Bulldog Rump, one of the H2H races put on by Team Bulldog.
41.016321, -74.744063 Goodale Road Parking Lot Directions
40.999464, -74.747071 Sussex Branch Rail Trail/206 Lot Directions
41.011893, -74.744627 Twin Lakes Parking Area Directions
Details and Info
- Miles: 11
- Difficulty: Beginner, Intermediate
- Trails: Singletrack, Doubletrack, Fire Road
- Surface: Dirt (hardpack, mud)
- Special Features: Bridges
- Detailed Overview: Low on vertical, a few log piles, some bigger rocks, but mostly half-exposed shale-like rocks, but nothing that would constiture a rock "garden". Generally little elevation aside from The Needle climb.
- Park Website: New Jersey DEP Parks & Forestry
Trail Name Blaze Distance Description Green Green N/A Part of the "lower needle" section; mostly single track, not very technical Blue Blue N/A Part of the "lower needle" section; mostly single track, a short, loose climb on a mostly shale trail followed by a nice flowy section of twisties. Yellow Yellow N/A the first leg of the fabled "needle climb"; starts with a steep, loose climb that contiues with a less steep, less loose climb up to the step Red Red N/A the second leg of the "needle climb"; not as loose or steep as part one but it still goes up. At the top it crosses the fire road (see the beloved needle!) and heads down. Fast, flowy and not all too technical.
Trail Name Blaze Distance Description White White N/A Starts from the parking lot on Goodale Road; the section is also called "switch" for reasons that will be very clear when you enter it; one of the longer trails in the park that winds around to the "fisherman's path" section which runs along the lake. Consists of a moderate climb at the beginning, some double track, some single track downhills and a fireroad section that leads to the twisty fisherman's path. Clipping a bar in this section is almost mandatory. Red Red N/A If the park has any "techical" trails, this is one of them. It features three short, steep rocky climbs as well as a loop up and around the "horseshoe". This section of trail is typically used in the race. Barely Legal White Square N/A This formely "rogue" trail now appears to be legal and is blazed. It is one of the more fun trails in the park as it winds around large rock out croppings and is 100% single track. A little speed in this section keeps things interesting. Make sure you duck under the downed tree. Blue Blue N/A The other "technical" trail. With a three moderately steep climbs, the trail has enough rocks to keep things interesting. This trail has also been used in the race in the past.
- Extensive 8 mile network of singletrack trails. 3 miles of park roads. 2.5 miles of flat rail trail passes through the core of the park. All trails offer a seemingly endless variety of loop and out and linear ride options.
Discussion, Events, and JORBA
- Forum: MTBNJ discussion on KVSP
- JORBA Contact: Kris Weber
Bike Shop(s) and Good Eats
- Cycle Craft - Andover
- 698 US Highway 206
- Andover, NJ 07821
- Located at the intersection of Route 206 and Goodale Road
- Sussex Bike & Sport
- 231 Newton Sparta Road / SC 616 (west bound)
- Andover, NJ 07821 |
- Located half-way between Newton and Sparta (north of KVSP)
- Salt Gastropub
- 109 US Highway 206
- Stanhope, NJ 07874
- Leaving the park, head south (left) on Goodale Road to the end. Make a left onto Route 206 South. Salt is on the right/across from ShopRite
- Sheridan's Restaurant & Tavern
- 631 Limecrest Road
- Newton, NJ 07860
- Leaving the park, head north (right) on Goodale Road. Turn right onto Lake Illif Road and take to end. Turn left onto Limecrest Rd. Sheridan's will be on the left.