Why Carbon Fiber Bikes Are Failing

Never had a carbon Frame fail catastrophically... Only an aluminum and a steel one

In 1996 the Mongoose dealer at the shop I worked at got me a pro deal on an IBOC Team SX carbon twin downtube hardtail. I broke the chain stay doing trials on a park bench in Central Park. They replaced the frame and then I broke it again (in the same spot) riding xc in Long Island. After the 2nd time, they refused to give me another carbon frame and replaced it with an alloy IBOC Pro. I think they gave up on CF shortly after. I now have a carbon bike again (NORCO). Hoping this time around I have more luck.

I'm curious how many here have had a carbon frame failure in the last 5 years? I have a buddy who's broken his Evil twice. Is it still common?

Last edited:
Never had a carbon Frame fail catastrophically... Only an aluminum and a steel one

Me neither, but when you can get a carbon bike at Walmart, anything is possible.

Screenshot_20180724-202056_Chrome.jpg

I've never broken a frame of any material type. I must be doing it wrong. That said, my last two mountain bikes are both full carbon and have close to 10k miles between them. They have both repeatedly cartwheeled off into the woods on many occasions and are both fine. I guess I need to find rockier trails.

I know of a few Trek Y bike frames that lasted beyond the original owners expectations. I have a few alloy frames that did not outlast my expectations.

It's all crap shoot. Nothing lasts forever.

Carbon is awesome. It’s light, compliant where you need it to be and it’s throw away. So in that respect it satisfies us with a sense of newism.

Agreed. Stupid article. Frames...I've broken 3 alum ones (one that was replaced b/c they said the painter ruined the metal before I eventually broke it). I've also been riding the same carbon bars since 2012 which have the outer layer cracked on both sides of the bar. They don't flex or make any scary sounds. If those were alum w/ a crack, I would've replaced them by now. I still ride them on the SS, which I'm obviously not easy on (see 2 broken frames above). I've now gone to a carbon mtb and cx bike. I'm not terribly concerned about carbon failing :)

Oh and when bike prices go up because manufacturers have to build in cost to cover these kind of lawsuits, I better not see the same people complaining!

Man, too man words, not sure I even made it half way through.

In any case, this is why you buy carbon frame from a bike shop and not second hand. I said for years how i didnt think carbon mtb's made sense and now I have one...

The china carbon stuff is simply a crap shoot, it is similar to buying cheap blank skateboard deck, it could be the best board you ever rode and it could be the worst, but there is no way to tell that at the point of sale. Once difference is that a cheap deck is less likely to break your face like a broken handlebar or rim will.

This is the second time in a week that an article from that same website was referenced here.

The other said there were benefits to training while exhausted.

I didn't actually read this one because I think I get the jist of it.

Back
Top Bottom