What type of Knee pads do you guys rock out on ?

aedubber

So , since i have been pushing myself and bike a bit more , i think i should invest into some knee pads asap :D .. I am going to start riding Ringwood Park and get into some more techy parks soon, so i would like to possibly gear up a bit as i ride a hardtail and the fork isn't the greatest ( Gonna start building on a on-one 456 frame ;) ) .

What pads would you guys recommend or what do you guys ride on?

I dont care what i look like , as i have a job and do this sport as a hobby so i need to try and be as safe as possible regardless the type of riding i am doing .:cool:

Last edited:
Honestly, I wore them once, and realized that wearing pads is not for me. They seemed pretty solid though. I'm sure others will chime in, and be more helpful...

No problem :) , im not a fan of pads and all that but i just like to be a little on the safe side at times .

I wear the Kyle Straits when I'm riding rocky trails. I would say I wear them anywhere from 5-10 times a month and had them for couple of years. They do look like they will fall apart at some point, but they'll still going strong for now.

661 kyles

for the bang for buck, the kyle straights
stitching is so so but still good after 2 years. They are comfy too

I have the POC VPD stuff that feels soft but it hardens when it gets hit. I don't use it on the bike though. Just on the moto in the woods. They works really well for that. I imagine they work great on the bike too.

http://www2.pocsports.com/products/showproduct.asp?category=20-Bike&id=20370

I've been riding the POC VPD knees this season for the DJ trails. First time out they felt a little stiff but have since softened up/become more flexible. Haven't ridden them on any XC stuff but they feel like I can pedal fine with them.

Last year I used Race Face's Flank knee that extends down a bit. They are nice too but a little more bulky than the POC's and didn't fit under pants all that well but they have nice coverage: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/race-face-flank-d3o-review.html I might put them up for sale if you are interested.

Not sure if 661 still makes them but these look like they would work great for tech XC riding. Might be light enough for pedaling but take the bite out of a fall: http://www.xsportsprotective.com/sixsixone-d3o-evo-lite-knee.html

Hmm i guess the 661 products seem to be holding up pretty good then, dunno why people were making such a big fuss . I guess ill just pull the trigger on the Kyles as they are pretty good in price, would you guys say they run true to size?

Yes , they still do make those XC lites

POCs are great im sure but they seem a bit expensive for just some light trail riding , maybe next year ill gear up with some real good stuff when i try out Diablo LOL.

Last edited:
I've got a set of Fox Launch shorty knee and elbows that I used for a couple of months when I started riding (I forget sometimes I've only been on a bike for a little over 2 years)... anyhoo their sitting in my closet if you're interested PM me and you can have them on the cheap...

I've got a set of Fox Launch shorty knee and elbows that I used for a couple of months when I started riding (I forget sometimes I've only been on a bike for a little over 2 years)... anyhoo their sitting in my closet if you're interested PM me and you can have them on the cheap...

Thanks but those seem like they might be a bit too much for me, just looking for some light coverage . TY for the offer tho !

Fox "The System" knee/shin guards

Very unrestrictive, no upper strap(s). These use a "sock" or gasket worn underneath the knee guard that is put on before the knee guard. These extend about 4" above the knee to about 10" below, and are pulled on individually sort of like cutoff cycling tights with extra padding in the knee area. The hard shell knee/shin guards are then installed over that. They have straps (2) but only in the calve/shin area. The top half of the "sock" is then rolled down over the hard shell knee guard portion. This anchors and stablizes the knee guard without having to employ an upper strap (which I found very restrictive to motion on other style knee guards). With this system, I don't feel movement restriction and forget we have them on after a short time.

Disadvantage: Every once in a while, I have reach down and pull the guards up as every gradually they start to slip downwards. Not a lot and not often, but enough that if I don't adjust, eventually they willslip to a point where they are no longer be protecting the knee. We think small price to pay for otherwise good system.

These sell for about $50 retail.

Would recommend and buy again although there are now some similar designs that I might want to try out if these ever wear out.

I have the race face dig and no problems so far. I ordered kyles for my gf they'll be here Friday so I'll get a chance to compare up close

Hmm i guess the 661 products seem to be holding up pretty good then, dunno why people were making such a big fuss . I guess ill just pull the trigger on the Kyles as they are pretty good in price, would you guys say they run true to size?

Just to make sure you don't have higher expectations, here is what I am talking about with regard to the stitching eventually coming apart:

IMG_1678.jpg

It's not really the stitching, but the rubber/fabric compound with holes in it that eventually will come apart. I can still ride mine, but you can see that it will eventually fail. Fyi, I bought mine in June '09 and have used it on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom