What have you done to your bike today?

Put Maxxis Rambler 40c's on some new polished Velocity Cliff Hangers on "Cyril Figgis".
image.jpeg

Finally finished the hub rebuild. new bearings in the Eno Eccentric, White Trials freewheel, new chain. 34/18 feels a bit high, let's see what it does on the little hills around Clinton.
20160824_153230_001.jpg

Question: am I supposed to tighten the lockring after installing? it does not really want to move.

Lots of creaking going on. Soundz like its coning from the bottom bracket. Pulled it apart and cleaned and re greased everything.

Also, installed a new derailleur cable and a New KMC chain.

Recently got the Crux fully serviced by the good folks at Marty's. All parts removed and cleaned, wheels trued, new headset (the old one was destroyed). They took care of everything but the chain, as was my request. I wax my chains. I have two for each bike. One on the bike, and one ready to go on at any given time. While the bike was being serviced, I ordered my two new chains and had them waxed www.waxmaxcycle.com
Finally got around to cutting then to length and installing one. Also added more Stans and inflated tires to make sure the seal was good.

image.jpeg

Recently got the Crux fully serviced by the good folks at Marty's. All parts removed and cleaned, wheels trued, new headset (the old one was destroyed). They took care of everything but the chain, as was my request. I wax my chains. I have two for each bike. One on the bike, and one ready to go on at any given time. While the bike was being serviced, I ordered my two new chains and had them waxed www.waxmaxcycle.com
Finally got around to cutting then to length and installing one. Also added more Stans and inflated tires to make sure the seal was good.

View attachment 39823

How often do you rewax?

Yesterday met up with @THATmanMANNY on the island and got a carbon fork from him. Installed it on the project hybrid this evening. Bike is much lighter now, slammed front end too. Next step: paint bike black.

View attachment 39799 View attachment 39800

So after tonight's ride, I've decided to name this bike the TreKOMinator. PR's gained on all segments of tonight's ride, and once my fitness improves and I continue to dial in this bike, I should be able to attain some KOM's. Maybe after I paint it I'll make custom stickerz with the name, and maybe the head tube badge can be replaced with the Strava logo. Lol.

Swapped bars between my Klein and GT. Wanted to see how wider bars and no barends feels on the klein. Trying to rekindle the love for the Klein that I lost after riding fat bikes all summer.

Installed new cushier seat on my wives bike. Installed new seat on my kids trail a bike.
Installed New front tire on the Klein.

How often do you rewax?

Every 250-300 miles on average. Depends on if most of the use is on the trainer, or out in the rain. It's a simple process. One of the other guys who does it and rides a lot more than me has three chains in rotation. He's a 6-7k miles/year guy. I'm more in the 2-3k miles/year.
Yes, you need to buy more chains up front, but each will last longer, stay cleaner, stay quieter, and in theory, save a few watts. Road grit doesn't stick to anything with the wax, so cleaning is super easy. I've been using the process for about 3 years now.

image.jpeg

I've been wanting a fixie type around-town bike, for no particular reason. Then I realized I have this clean old skool stumpjumper just hanging around. I had started to modernize it, wider bars/shorter stem etc. I put everything stock back on it including the rigid fork, which I found in my mom's garage behind the shelf where I stuck it for almost 20 years.

I definitely need some grey gumwalls but otherwise it's pretty cool. Stem is ludicrously long!!! The crazy thing is its lighter than many modern mountain bikes, 24.75 pounds as it sits.
Gotta take better pics outside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom