What have you done to your bike today?

What the ..... Fox 34 and a 4" tire?
It's the new B+ model. Saw it done by a few other people and decided to give it a try. There is not much room in between, but it fits with a 70mm rim. A little more travel, stiffer and better bump compliance makes it worth the risk.

It's the new B+ model. Saw it done by a few other people and decided to give it a try. There is not much room in between, but it fits with a 70mm rim. A little more travel, stiffer and better bump compliance makes it worth the risk.

Cool! Please let us know your thoughts after you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Dropper post. KS Lev. No idea how to ride with it, but all the groovy gnarbashers say it's the accoutrement to have, so I suppose I'll figure it out.

Related: I know have an expensive carbon Easton paperweight/beating stick.
image.jpeg

Cool! Please let us know your thoughts after you've had a chance to put it through its paces.
I've had a few rides on it and it has worked very well so far. Only made minor adjustments to air pressure, compression and rebound. Will likely need to adjust pressure some more to get full travel, but right now small to medium bump compliance is much better than the Bluto. This is a 120mm travel fork so just a tad more travel than the Bluto I was using. Need to get use to adjusting my weight a bit differently for climbs.

Pretty much complete. Just a few details needed.

Modern disc brakes and Maxle fork.
View attachment 37669

11 speed drivetrain. 27.5+ tires.
View attachment 37670

Old school style bars and brake levers.
View attachment 37671
That's a nice paint scheme, where did you get it done?

Been meaning to strip my wife's Univega for new paint is this summer, this may get my ass off the couch on this
looks like this now, but she hates the stem shifters, plan to switch to grip shifters, which she likes and of course a basket.
Thoughts on a wire vs wicker basket in the front? what about fenders? chrome or painted

finished product will look similar to Claude Butler below

IMG_8092_1024x1024.jpg

b6baf7634e2fb75b9d217dac8339570e.jpg

Wire is classy, especially if you get Wald. Of course, wicker looks good too, but IMO needs to be on a beach cruiser/beach bike.

The "new" Wald quick release is approximately 1,000,000x better than the old one, if that matters to you.

That's a nice paint scheme, where did you get it done?

Been meaning to strip my wife's Univega for new paint is this summer, this may get my ass off the couch on this
looks like this now, but she hates the stem shifters, plan to switch to grip shifters, which she likes and of course a basket.
Thoughts on a wire vs wicker basket in the front? what about fenders? chrome or painted

finished product will look similar to Claude Butler below

IMG_8092_1024x1024.jpg

b6baf7634e2fb75b9d217dac8339570e.jpg

That Univega looks nice! Doesn't look like it needs anything from the picture. I went with Spectrum Powderworks for the paint / powdercoat because of the complexity of the scheme and their familiarity with working on Ti. I looked at a lot of design schemes online and saw @soundz Retrotec and sketched up something similar for them to do. I wanted to keep some Ti visible so rather than going with a second color, I had them leave the headtube and rear drop out area bare. The fork is not Ti, so they painted the upper in a Ti color to continue the dart / color scheme.

Disclaimer: I was unaware that Spectrum Powderworks was in a transition when I sent my parts to them. They have spun off the bicycle part of the powercoating business to a small bike builder (Mosaic Cycles). The combination of the transition, production bike jobs and NAHBS work had me low on the list for months. In the end my frame was probably one of the last to come out of the Colorado Springs factory. It was pricey and the wait was long, but they know exactly what to do and did a great job. Moving forward, only time will tell if the new Spectrum will be putting out the same quality work. I do not know if any of the skilled people will be moving to Boulder to continue doing the same work or if they will have a whole new crew.

BTW, the fender decision is a tough one. I considered fenders for my build as well and couldn't decide on chrome or color. I left them off for now and figure I can always go with the chrome.

Back
Top Bottom