What have you done to your bike today?

Few smaller projects today after work
-Got axle and reassembled the tandem rear hub (minus the cog just yet). Also took the freshly cleaned spokes I salvaged and moved forward with reassembling the wheel. Laced loosely for now. Will go back to snug things up later, and replace the 2 bad spokes. Hopefully a successful completion story on this later.
IMG_0227.JPG

-Picked up shock hardware at Beachwood and installed.
IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

mo questions
have an American Classic hub which is 15 thru and need to convert it back to qr. Have the kit but can't find instructions to remove the 15mm axle. It has a retaining nut one side under the dust cap, but before it is a black ring which doesn't seem to move
View attachment 51400

Haven't done an AC hub, but guessing that the axle comes out the side you have pictured. The nut is to preload the wheel. So see if you can remove a fitting on the opposite side of the hub and then push or tap the axle out. Hope I'm steering you in the right direction.

Weekend update:
Done
- FS rear shock back on + fork oil and seal change.
- Tandem paint
- Tandem headset/BB cups back on
- Tandem front wheel disassembled, cleaned, rust treat, hub cleaned/greased, polished, and laced back together.
IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

Not good
-Somehow managed to seize up both brake calipers on FS during fork service without ever touching the levers. Definitely will need to be bled.
-Looks like I'm replacing this tandem fork.
IMG_0250.JPG

I know "next to nothing" about tandems, but seeing that picture of the bent steerer tube, I wonder if that isn't common on tandems. Seems like a lot of stress at that point. Hope the head-tube is still OK.
Hoping so. Didn't notice cracks or anything when stripping the paint, and it doesn't appear to be distended. Not the prettiest brass brazes, but they appeared to be intact. Going to guess it may have been the result of a crash with a loose headset (probably me and my cousins or friends back when we were kids). Then again maybe it was just a shoddy assembly to begin with. The race wasn't secure on the fork at all.

Anyway, I should have another old fork in hand soon, so we'll see.

@moray42 get a new straight fork, put it in, and don't worry about it. There was a reason that tandems went rapidly (compared to singles) from 1", to 1.125", to 1.25" threaded in a short period of time...unexpected (and sometimes unavoidable) impacts did exactly what you have pictured. There is a bowing force applied in exactly that direction from people sitting on the tandem...

got a set of these - was going to get the XT trail, but the reviews and price on these were too good to pass up. should be an upgrade regardless over my 5 year old shimano 520's

almost done with the last 26r I'll buy
it started with newish XTR drivetrain and Mavic SLR wheels, selling them and slapped on SRAM XO and DT wheels
WP_20170505_15_30_36_Pro.jpg

the front wheel may need a rebuild, how do you remove the caps, cones and whatever else to inspect the bearings? The hubs are 340s 15 thru axle. Service manual for the 350 said to use a hammer?
WP_20170505_15_23_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20170505_15_22_46_Pro.jpg

almost done with the last 26r I'll buy
it started with newish XTR drivetrain and Mavic SLR wheels, selling them and slapped on SRAM XO and DT wheels
View attachment 51749

the front wheel may need a rebuild, how do you remove the caps, cones and whatever else to inspect the bearings? The hubs are 340s 15 thru axle. Service manual for the 350 said to use a hammer?
View attachment 51750
View attachment 51751
sweet - would love to take that for a spin

moar bike work on a rainy day
finishing touches on the Bruce Gordon refresh project
25 yr old bike had Campy Chorus and Bullseye 7spd wheels

put in a X9 shifting kit, Shimano compact crank, SLK x-brakes, dt540 wheels with a hub dyno. Will be the summer road bike this year since I've sold or donated most of my skinny bikes. Eventually will find a seat and tires more to my liking

WP_20170505_22_22_59_Pro.jpg

moar bike work on a rainy day
finishing touches on the Bruce Gordon refresh project
25 yr old bike had Campy Chorus and Bullseye 7spd wheels

put in a X9 shifting kit, Shimano compact crank, SLK x-brakes, dt540 wheels with a hub dyno. Will be the summer road bike this year since I've sold or donated most of my skinny bikes. Eventually will find a seat and tires more to my liking

View attachment 51761

Never sell it (or sell it to me :) )...Bruce is selling his business.

Never sell it (or sell it to me :) )...Bruce is selling his business.
that's sad, I've owned others but this is the last one I have
Not only are they incredibly welded, the paint is amongst the best I've seen. Amazing that every bike with his name, with the exception of a few hundred Chinese made Rockn'Roads were built by one man.

Have been riding the bike in sucks to climb geo mode. I like the lower BB. put in in sucks a Lil's less mode. 65 to 65.5

Worked a bit on the honzo as well. Going to need a new bb. I'm sure the bearings are square.

Put a 40mm stem and my yawyd cap on the slash'yo'face. Feels like home

20170509_211616.jpg

Back
Top Bottom