What does it take shine up a park?

BTW. I tried to search on the internet for port street in east brunswick and weird nj. Couldn't find anything. Whats the deal with it?

port street helmetta was the first thing that popped up when i typed "port street"

Technically, the "trail head" for frost woods is in Spotswood.

BTW. I tried to search on the internet for port street in east brunswick and weird nj. Couldn't find anything. Whats the deal with it?

port st is in helmetta. there were a few different rumors..KKK house at the back end of it...as well as people buried under the road, which is why there are bumps or whatever. something along those lines...

yea... some people consider it helmetta but according to the map i found, it's a part of east brunswick...

check out this map. the area between where it says helmetta borough, south brunswick township and jamesburg borough on both maps is the area i'm talking about. to the left you see all of the dirt roads and to the right you'll just see a skeletal pattern in the woods of where they used to be. on google map, you can make out port street, johnston and washington and such. If you go out there from helmetta blvd, there are trail openings on either side, and both are pretty decent to ride through, but the larger area going toward jamesburg is much better kept. The space between crescent ave and helmetta blvd is over grown but the downhills aren't too bad... a little sandy at times, though, and marshy at the bottom.

http://www.friendsebec.com//Home page/Aerial_compareEB.pdf

port st is in helmetta. there were a few different rumors..KKK house at the back end of it...as well as people buried under the road, which is why there are bumps or whatever. something along those lines...

yea, i had heard those rumors growing up because i lived like a mile and a half from helmetta blvd over by sam's liquors... I think they only thing scandalous about the area is that it was in early stages of development with side walks and fire hydrants and got the kabash... i'm assuming because of the depression...

btw, from what i've read, jamesburg park is something like 3100 acres... it starts at crescent ave in east brunswick and stretches out to 522 in jamesburg, although, once you find the yellow trail with the sidewalk patch i was talking about, turn around because it's all mud and sand.

Last edited:
frost woods park

hi everbody,

Not sure how to talk on this sight and i am new to the site and not savy w/ the computer but I have read the post on FROST WOODS PARK in East brunswick. For everyones knowledge to the post, I have been the little care taker of Frost woods. I have set up the various table tops and bridges along w/ log overs. I even clean up after storms and cut some of the fallen trees onto trail side. I found Frost woods 2 years ago as a new Mt Biker. I love the sport and its just around the block from me. Its great that some interest as come towards the park. It would be great if i could get some assistance on to spruce up the park once or twice a year. I am not sure how to reach JORBA or know of any contacts to Shine up the park. I am 47 years old and occosionally i see a biker in the woods . If anyone can add to uping this little park into a Mountain bike area please let me know. Further any comments to what they think on the Park as it is now would be welcomed. I have given up on the trail cleaning for now since the hurricane but i am working on some bridge overs.

I am game to doing a little Maintenance there. There is few nice little area that with some elbow grease we could have alot of fun.

Hi montana and welcome to the site. I've road at Frost Woods since I was a kid, probably from 13-17 years old. (as you probably see above). My childhood house had the woods as its backyard.

I do not go there anymore, except one time this year just to relive some memories.

If you are able to organize a legitimately sanctioned trail maintenance day, I would like to help out, as i am sure others would probably chip in.

You should take a look at this thread and on the website as a whole, theres some good advice on how to help out a park.

Keep at it...Best thing to do is find a group that is inspired by what you are doing and want to get involved...this will show the land manager there is a need and want to get this done.

After that talk to JORBA and inform them what you want to do (they have a ton of info and experance). Then write the proposal of what trail will and won't be used for and how it will be done. Just be detailed in what you want to do so there is no confusion once starting building the singletrack.

This process take time...it always has to go throw the proper channels and people to make it happen. Sad to say this, but it helps if you have some political clout/friends or friends of friends. Believe me having this type of help is only helpful. From experance..I know it can make or brake the deal. Good luck and if you need any more advice, let me know.

i'm still interested in helping out. I went there yesterday with my girlfriend and even though it's a little bruised from sandy and the climbs aren't as murderous as I used to think they were, it's still a fun little place with acres upon acres of untapped potential along with some overgrowth in spots that, at one point, were probably decent riding... it'd be nice to do something here, for sure :D

Back
Top Bottom