What are the top trail issues in NJ from a MTB point of view?

This is kinda part of the problem.

Many places that have official stuff going on also have some stuff that is pushing the boundaries of what was approved, taking advantage of under educated land managers.

Kinda similar to people preaching about not riding in bad conditions but do it themselves.

I’m not disagreeing with you but asking for forgiveness is always easier than asking for permission (as you said).

This is kinda part of the problem.

Many places that have official stuff going on also have some stuff that is pushing the boundaries of what was approved, taking advantage of under educated land managers.

Kinda similar to people preaching about not riding in bad conditions but do it themselves.

I’m not disagreeing with you but asking for forgiveness is always easier than asking for permission (as you said).

I was just replying to Max's post about whether he could carry a saw and remove logs.

Thinking a 10" folder to help out the land managers, who may not have time to address all deadfalls after a storm.

So, it may be "part of the problem", but it seems like a very small component to me. My feeling is if I am out in a park after a big storm and there is a blowdown blocking a trail that I can remove with a 10" folder, who would care?

GOLF BALZ.JPG

I was just replying to Max's post about whether he could carry a saw and remove logs.

Thinking a 10" folder to help out the land managers, who may not have time to address all deadfalls after a storm.

So, it may be "part of the problem", but it seems like a very small component to me. My feeling is if I am out in a park after a big storm and there is a blowdown blocking a trail that I can remove with a 10" folder, who would care?

I think the point was: Folding saw = fine. Chainsaw = no.

View attachment 83747
I wasn't disagreeing with you: Silky Ultra Accel FTW
400_446-24-1.jpg

Handle is far superior to the gomboy, however ever it is heavier. That being said, I find that 240 is about the max you can carry in a jersey pocket. So I have an F 180, which is light and compact for light work.
silky-pruning-saws-143-18-64_1000.jpg

That's what I'm asking I know it's frowned upon to do TM without company eyes on you but simple things not trying to build bridges. But it would be nice if there were plans available for us to pickup when we have time just go to the place and do some work

In Morris County, you can sign up for their Adopt a trail program. This gives you permission to do light trail maintence on your own time, such as during a ride, such as trimming back overgrowth, fixing ruts/mud puddles, removing blowdowns (only those you can cut with a hand saw...power tools such as chainsaws are not permitted), etc). I can’t find the link right now but go to their website (morrisparks.net) or write info@morrisparks.net, or reach out to Russ Nee (rnee@morrisparks.net), he is the assistant superintendent of trails.

In Morris County, you can sign up for their Adopt a trail program. This gives you permission to do light trail maintence on your own time, such as during a ride, such as trimming back overgrowth, fixing ruts/mud puddles, removing blowdowns (only those you can cut with a hand saw...power tools such as chainsaws are not permitted), etc). I can’t find the link right now but go to their website (morrisparks.net) or write info@morrisparks.net, or reach out to Russ Nee (rnee@morrisparks.net), he is the assistant superintendent of trails.
Stuff like this needs to be pinned in the Trail Talk section of this forum. The easier this information is to find the better.

Is there a general way to let the land managers know about larger trees blocking the trails - reported from trail users?
or is it just letting the land managers know via email, or through a JORBA rep?

seems communication might be part of the problem - then tracking progress.

would be interesting to have a ticketing system, assigning, resolution, etc.
Sounds like something @Norm's product could do ?

i'm worried about a land manager getting inundated with email. (when it isn't needed of course.)

Why would you have to signup for this? Isn't this what most regular riders at a given park already do?

Why would you have to signup for this? Isn't this what most regular riders at a given park already do?

agree to terms of service.
if you are hurt doing the right thing, of your own accord, you won't sue the park for letting you do it.

Is there a general way to let the land managers know about larger trees blocking the trails - reported from trail users?

i'm worried about a land manager getting inundated with email. (when it isn't needed of course.)
I think it depends on the park / area. For instance, we know who the current person is coordinating maintenance at Baldpate and they have actually had a few organized trail sessions this year. I let her know about some big down trees in the spring , one was removed and two other still remaining. Some finding who to communicate with is only a small piece of the puzzle.

Jackalopes
I hate these SOBs doing damage and scaring crap out of me. Wish we could just wipe them all out.
downloadfile-1.jpg

It’s a bit hit or miss. When I was more actively involved with Morris parks, I would notify the park trail super via email based on my own observations and those of volunteers who would email me. We no longer do group trail dates as I couldn’t get the necessary support or approval from the then new Trails Director (long story) and I also don’t ride Lew Mo much anymore, so for now my advice is to email Russ Nee to report blow downs. Note that it sometimes takes several attempts. If It poses a danger to trail users (like widow makers about to fall, or fallen tree wrapped in poison ivy that will harm trail users) you should point that out too . I like @Mathers suggestion to post this contact info centrally. Not sure how to do this but if someone could let me know I’ll send the info for Morris parks.

Back
Top Bottom