Wharton Trails....

If you mean ridable and fun... no :cry:
A lot pines are still bent over from the snow load, blocking the trail. And there are still random patches of icy snow and ice.

Batsto Village is awesome right now, few bent over pines at the beginning, but beyond the first 1/4 mile or so, 19 miles of heaven this time of year...

Thanks for the replies...I was out there the past couple Sundays, and hopefully this one too...Great riding!!!

As of Last Sunday (20th), they were totally clear...But we had more snow since then..I would think with the temps, and all the rain today, they will be clear, but muddy in spots come Sunday....Hope to find out Sunday....I'll post the conditions on here after my ride then...

I would think that with the warm temps and rain, most of the snow would be gone. However, do to the damp sand and high winds, blown down trees and branches are highly probable.

My $.02.

Because there are a lot of folks coming down the ACE and the GSP to ride Wharton during the fall/winter/spring I make an attempt to post current and/or forecasted WSF conditions on the JORBA trail conditions page and the Wharton forums every week before Thursday afternoon.
http://www2.jorba.org/index.php?title=Trail_Conditions
And as always.. take it for what its worth. :)

How are the trails, is it worth the time to travel an hour south to wharton or go north to chimney rock or 6 mile. Never been to wharton

thanks

How are the trails, is it worth the time to travel an hour south to wharton or go north to chimney rock or 6 mile. Never been to wharton

thanks

I rode the 19mi loop last week and it doesn't look like a mower had been in there for years. I got whipped in the legs through several dense sections.
If you like tight single track then go for it.

I rode the blue loop today, perfect weather, perfect conditions. As always, kudos to the TM gang.

If you like tight single track then go for it.
hehehehehehehe yes! :D

Worth noting is that when the WSF PBT was initially routed, several visiting elite racers were asked for their advice/input on the route. One piece of advice was for the trail to keep its *backwoods feel*. The crew has been working hard to keep that feel. The other pieces of advice that were implemented are evident when riding the trail. ;)

hehehehehehehe yes! :D

Worth noting is that when the WSF PBT was initially routed, several visiting elite racers were asked for their advice/input on the route. One piece of advice was for the trail to keep its *backwoods feel*. The crew has been working hard to keep that feel. The other pieces of advice that were implemented are evident when riding the trail. ;)

I like the "Backwoods feel"!!! I had a couple people tell me that the trails were too twisty, and not smooth enough....Gimme a break, Guess they expect a paved downhill straightaway!!! I think if the trails became too opened up, sooner or later the bunny/tree huggers would try to shut it down saying we were destroying too much!

How are these trails for a beginner MTBer? I primarily ride/race road and will be without a bike for the next 2 weeks. Wanting to keep the legs moving, I've borrowed a MTB and hope to ride it until i get my road bike back. Who knows maybe I'll actually like it and continue to hit the trails every so often!

Another newbie question:
How long after it rains is it rideable? I will be down again this weekend and would like to get a ride in. It seems like it will rain Saturday but possibly not Sunday. If it doesnt on Sunday, will it be rideable? I just don't want to wreck the trails or muck up my bike.

Thanks for asking. The current forecast for 08037 on Easter Sunday is t-storms in the morning with possible clearing in the afternon.

During the warmer months, please allow eight to ten hours for the trails to drain after a heavy rain. (Please allow more drain time during the colder freeze/thaw months.)

Allowing the WSF trails time to drain is good for the trails and good for your bike. The wet sand acts like a course grinding compound on your brakes and drivetrain. :(

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions