western NC

case

Going to western NC (Boone) for vacation in August and I was wondering if anyone could give me some beta on the riding there. From a map it looks like we're near the northern edge of Pisgah NF and the Mt. Mitchell area. I've gleaned some info from the carolinas section of mtbr but was hoping for some 1st hand info. probably have 1 day of mtbing and maybe a daily road ride.

It's been 15 years but Crabtree Falls was a blast. Not biking related, but Little Switzerland is beautiful. Make a run through there on your way from Boone to Mt. Mitchell. Other than that, most of my riding was on private land that when I tried riding 10 years ago the Sheriff was waiting for us at the truck. Apparently one of the locals got hurt and sued the land owner and since then all biking was considered trespassing. Luckily with out-of-state tags and explanation of having ridden there 5 years in the past he let us go with no ticket.

2 and a half hours away, but Pisgah in Brevard, NC is supposed to be sick...

I believe Wilson Creek in the Grandfather District of the Pisgah Forest would be the place to check out.

I'm heading down to Montreat, just east of Asheville, next week. Great riding in that area (can ride out the door of the house and over a small ridge to Kitsuma and Heartbreak Ridge- parts of the ORAMM race course). But it's a bit far from Boone...

Wilsons creek

Check out the Wilson's creek area about 45min out of Boone. The guys at boonebike n tour can probably give you a tour. I did a ride there about a month ago that had us climb for 1.5hr then ride ridge and descend for 2.5hr back to the bottom. Ahhhh what fun.
TImmyD
Going to western NC (Boone) for vacation in August and I was wondering if anyone could give me some beta on the riding there. From a map it looks like we're near the northern edge of Pisgah NF and the Mt. Mitchell area. I've gleaned some info from the carolinas section of mtbr but was hoping for some 1st hand info. probably have 1 day of mtbing and maybe a daily road ride.

Thank you everyone!!!:D I have the number for Boone bike & touring and I plan on stopping by... the wilson creek area sounds great!

Back
Top Bottom