Wawayanda State Park Conditions

there is no need to document things via pictures, everyone knows the score, if you race in the mud you ruin things for a long time. then trails get closed and people get pissed bc their yellow tape falls down. it takes a very long time for things to get back to normal. reach out to the organizers if this continues. Schwartz wasn't coming back to jungle until people reached out to the park and him

spoke with Ragnar via email, this guy Jesse... they assure me they are coming back to deal with things. there are deep tire tracks on some single tracks they said were the result of "emergency runner evacuations" whatever that is. the park seemed to be oblivious when I spoke to them.
I am sure they will be back just like they were two years agoto take down the pin flags they left all over the park.

rode yesterday and honestly was expecting worse. trails looked pretty ok generally outside of some really bad tire ruts just after that damn bridge on double pond. to me the worst parts were from really deep horse prints in some areas. i'm much more offended by how they left the beach area. huge tracks in the grass from the 18 wheelers and they abandoned (?) a large ice machine in the parking lot with probably a dozen or so 5 gallon full water jugs. i'm surprised no enterprising ppl with a sufficient vehicle haven't taken that yet. those things are expensive...

i do have a general question though for anyone in the know. is that new bridge on pumphouse a completed project or is more work expected? there's a huge pile of rocks on the one end and the other end is...underwater. just wondering if what's there now was the approved plan all along

Last edited:
spoke with Ragnar via email, this guy Jesse... they assure me they are coming back to deal with things. there are deep tire tracks on some single tracks they said were the result of "emergency runner evacuations" whatever that is. the park seemed to be oblivious when I spoke to them.
it's been my experience that calling the park office for anything is a complete waste of time. i've called them dozens of times over the years about trail conditions and they don't seem to care ever. i stopped bothering to call when i had a park ranger (yes the ONE time i ever actually saw one on a trail...) once stop me on hoferlein and threaten to confiscate my bike because he claimed it was the AT and bikes were banned there. i walked over to the wm hoferlein blaze and he said yeah it's part of the AT. called the office and they...had no idea. it was that exact moment that i knew they were all useless clowns

rode yesterday and honestly was expecting worse. trails looked pretty ok generally outside of some really bad tire ruts just after that damn bridge on double pond. to me the worst parts were from really deep horse prints in some areas. i'm much more offended by how they left the beach area. huge tracks in the grass from the 18 wheelers and they abandoned (?) a large ice machine in the parking lot with probably a dozen or so 5 gallon full water jugs. i'm surprised no enterprising ppl with a sufficient vehicle haven't taken that yet. those things are expensive...

i do have a general question though for anyone in the know. is that new bridge on pumphouse a completed project or is more work expected? there's a huge pile of rocks on the one end and the other end is...underwater. just wondering if what's there now was the approved plan all along
The project on pumphouse was a NYNJ trail conference project. They are done, haven’t been back so it looks like it will fall on us to fix it just haven’t had the time with building the new Timber section.

I agree, I rode there today and aside from some tracks on the road leading out to sitting bear the place was fine. Sitting bear, south, timber all fine. Twin bridges good

Leaf cover on the trails more than likely protected the tread even with wet conditions

I'm addressing the water crossing on the starting section of pumphouse one of these days. Not high on the priority list tho.

Extending the bridge should become a priority. I'm sure @jeffstick and team are thinking about it

The project on pumphouse was a NYNJ trail conference project. They are done, haven’t been back so it looks like it will fall on us to fix it just haven’t had the time with building the new Timber section.

I agree, I rode there today and aside from some tracks on the road leading out to sitting bear the place was fine. Sitting bear, south, timber all fine. Twin bridges good

Leaf cover on the trails more than likely protected the tread even with wet conditions
i would just like to say that the new timber section + old timber section is hands down my favorite trail in the park. outstanding job

it's been my experience that calling the park office for anything is a complete waste of time. i've called them dozens of times over the years about trail conditions and they don't seem to care ever. i stopped bothering to call when i had a park ranger (yes the ONE time i ever actually saw one on a trail...) once stop me on hoferlein and threaten to confiscate my bike because he claimed it was the AT and bikes were banned there. i walked over to the wm hoferlein blaze and he said yeah it's part of the AT. called the office and they...had no idea. it was that exact moment that i knew they were all useless clowns
yeah the woman I spoke with at the park kind of thought it was funny that I was calling her. ragnar at lease pretended to care but doubt they'll do anything. the guy was in Salt Lake and said he had to speak with his "local guy"lol

Another rainy weekend, another mud race on the trails of Wawayanda.
PXL_20231020_183513965.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions