Watchung News 12/9/2016

I went to the last but can't make this one. Good luck to all who go, and speak up and be heard!
- Lonerider
ps ... anyone who goes please let us know any developments, thanks.

Last edited:
Folks, below is an email from Al Mirabella. He is a Fanwood resident (as am I) and Freeholder. My mayor, Colleen Mahr (MTB supporter) recommended I reach out to him. Please try to make the scotch plains meeting next tues. Unfortunately I will be traveling.

Thank you for your e-mail. Please know that the Scotch Plains Council is investigating the Union County biker trail proposal for the Watchung Reservation and currently has no position. Next Tuesday, at our 5/2 conference meeting, representatives from Union County will give a presentation and answer any questions from the governing body and the public. After this presentation and gathering input from residents, the council will have a better understanding of the proposal and the impact on Scotch Plains. We hope to see you at our 5/2 meeting to provide your thoughts.

Just as an FYI, and I know this point has been stated before, but what we say here does not go unnoticed. Sarcasm or not.

http://www.countywatchers.com/?p=16251

You are right, Rob, regarding the opposition reading this thread.

One of the NIMBYs who lives adjacent to the Watchung Reservation had clearly prepared remarks that related to NICA at the FH meeting last night. She mentioned the first aid training for certain levels of NICA coaching (fear mongering). My thought was that it was analogous to the first aid training that was required for my soccer coaching license. She might conclude that no one should play soccer.

She also referred to the fact that there are 30 high schools in Union county and that NICA would grow. OMG, kids riding bikes in the woods!!! Get those county cops off the ISIS detail, quick.

It was laughable and typical.

Katie did a great job last night. She was very nervous and said to me afterwards that she thought she spoke way to fast. We're very proud of her. I hate speaking as an adult, never would have gotten up there as a kid.

She kept it short and sweet, made her points:

My name is Katie. I am 12 years old and in 6th grade. I am a Girl Scout. I play basketball, softball…..and I ride Mountain Bikes. I am also a member of NICA, the National Interscholastic Cycling Association. NICA held their first event in NJ on Sunday in Chester, where I finished 1st in my class. I met and rode in the trails with many other middle and high school kids who love to do the same healthy, fun activity as I do.

I love being outside. I can play basketball at my local school, play softball at the fields in my town and I have hiked with the Girl Scouts in the Watchung Reservation, but I can’t ride my bicycle at trails near my home.

Mountain biking is a healthy, fun activity that I can do with my family. We like to be outside and spend time together riding on the trails. I wish we were able to ride in a fun, safe place, close to my home where there are no cars to worry about.

People like me, kids and families, deserve to be able to have a safe place to ride, with our families and friends, that is close to our homes, in our own community.

Please consider letting bicycles in the Watchung Reservation.

Thank you

Last edited:
One of the NIMBYs who lives adjacent to the Watchung Reservation had clearly prepared remarks that related to NICA at the FH meeting last night. She mentioned the first aid training for certain levels of NICA coaching (fear mongering). My thought was that it was analogous to the first aid training that was required for my soccer coaching license. She might conclude that no one should play soccer.

She also referred to the fact that there are 30 high schools in Union county and that NICA would grow. OMG, kids riding bikes in the woods!!! Get those county cops off the ISIS detail, quick.
So because the coaches need to be certified in First Aid & CPR, that's a bad thing? Why to these people hate children? They also run background checks on all the coaches, Oh the horror! Close all the community pools. The lifeguards are all trained in advanced first aid & CPR, plus water rescue training of some sort. Day care? SHUT THEM DOWN! A toddler may scratch their knee and need a band aid, which will be administered at great expense by someone with training.
My son is going to Cub Scout camp AT WATCHUNG RESERVATION this summer. I really hope that nobody has any certifications, that way nobody can have any accidents.

Great job Katie. I am so proud of our NICA students.

Hearing that someone is trying to turn NICA into something negative for the area is truly sad. I am ashamed to admit that I live in an area where folks would consider kids riding bicycles in the woods anything but positive.

One can only hope that the policy makers see through arguments like that and realize that our children need more opportunities for outdoor recreation.

Manufacturers will keep making bicycles. Retailers will keep selling them, either on-line or in stores. People will keep buying them. The bicycle is not our enemy.

We need a safe place to ride our bicycles. And the streets are not a safe option.

People who do not enjoy the bicycle will never understand this, however they need to realize that the bicycle is not going away and neither are we.

Let us ride in the peace and safety Mother Nature has to offer... for all of the tax paying Union County residents.

Kids can get injuries in any sport or activity, that is why every PAL, rec, travel, school sport requires the coaches to be certified. I only help out with my girls softball and I'm not a head coach, so I can't speak directly about what all of the training entails, but I know they have to attend the Rutgers Safety clinic and have a background check to coach.

This is a good thing and the fact that NICA requires training and checks shows that it is a legitimate scholastic sport that is just as responsible for the kids safety as any other sport.

If any of the NICA coaches also coach other sports and have taken the safety clinics in those, it might be a good idea to go to a Freeholder meeting to mention that.

FWIF in 2006 15,000 people were sent to the ER from MTB accidents divide that by the 40,000,000 MTB riders and you get a 0.00375% of injury. Meanwhile in little league baseball in 2006 send 110,062 people to the ER over an estimated 6-13M players hospitals didn't track little league vs pickup games.

I just sent a message through the Master Plan page thanking the Freeholders for the opportunity to let my daughter speak. I mentioned that part of being involved in NICA, the kids learn proper trail etiquette and respect for the environment which can only benefit all who use the trails. The education they are receiving today, will create the future trail stewards of tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who attended the meeting last night and speaking FOR the trails. Many of us feel beaten down at this point...attending meetings, writing emails, posting on web pages, just to ride our bikes in the woods. We will keep fighting.
Yes, Keep Fighting!! To quote John Blutarski: It's not over until we say it's over!!

Katie did a great job last night. She was very nervous and said to me afterwards that she thought she spoke way to fast. We're very proud of her. I hate speaking as an adult, never would have gotten up there as a kid.

She kept it short and sweet, made her points:

My name is Katie. I am 12 years old and in 6th grade. I am a Girl Scout. I play basketball, softball…..and I ride Mountain Bikes. I am also a member of NICA, the National Interscholastic Cycling Association. NICA held their first event in NJ on Sunday in Chester, where I finished 1st in my class. I met and rode in the trails with many other middle and high school kids who love to do the same healthy, fun activity as I do.

I love being outside. I can play basketball at my local school, play softball at the fields in my town and I have hiked with the Girl Scouts in the Watchung Reservation, but I can’t ride my bicycle at trails near my home.

Mountain biking is a healthy, fun activity that I can do with my family. We like to be outside and spend time together riding on the trails. I wish we were able to ride in a fun, safe place, close to my home where there are no cars to worry about.

People like me, kids and families, deserve to be able to have a safe place to ride, with our families and friends, that is close to our homes, in our own community.

Please consider letting bicycles in the Watchung Reservation.

Thank you
Your daughter is a flat out BOSS! You should be very proud of her and she should be extremely proud of herself. Well done young lady!! You are indeed a rock star!

At every restaurant there is a sign posted showing what to do if someone chokes.

I guess we should close all restaurants.

Saying because someone is prepared for the unusual accident means the behavior is too dangerous to engage in is beyond absurd.

fyi the only time i was injured in the woods was when i was on foot and slipped. should we outlaw hiking then?

Bumping this for @Tibikeguy

We can “guide” the Town Council with reasoned, fact based remarks regarding any fear mongering, misinformation or outright lies that the opposition may offer in their public comments. Please welcome NICA racer children/parents/coaches who attend the meeting.

7pm Tuesday, May 2

Scotch Plains Town Council

Scotch Plains Municipal Building

430 Park Ave, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076

Folks, below is an email from Al Mirabella. He is a Fanwood resident (as am I) and Freeholder. My mayor, Colleen Mahr (MTB supporter) recommended I reach out to him. Please try to make the Scotch Plains Town Council meeting Tues.

Please know that the Scotch Plains Council is investigating the Union County biker trail proposal for the Watchung Reservation and currently has no position. Next Tuesday, at our 5/2 conference meeting, representatives from Union County will give a presentation and answer any questions from the governing body and the public. After this presentation and gathering input from residents, the council will have a better understanding of the proposal and the impact on Scotch Plains. We hope to see you at our 5/2 meeting to provide your thoughts.

Pothole 2 DSCN0399[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom