Wanted, 26" fork (touring/rigid MTB), 1-1/8 threaded/threadless

Karate Monkey

Update:

Looking for a fork that meets [most] of these criteria:

-Threadless 1 1/8: needs at least 230mm steerer
-Threaded 1 1/8: needs at least 165, 175 preferable
-Lugs preferable to unicrown (ha, that's a stretch), Would like 53-55mm actual space in between the legs, more is groovy, too.
-Doesn't need to be a mountain bike fork, as long as it is 398 axle-to-crown (or a bit more), which would almost guarantee that it is coming from a touring bike/mountain bike, anyway.
-The above can be slightly lower, if there is more offset to the fork (+45mm)
-Cantilever studs preferable to disc mounts, but I can deal if something nice comes along.

If you happen to have a world cup SID, I might consider that, too. Looking for something on the light(er) side...

*edit* II

If you happen to have a set of cantilever brakes, that would be swell too. Let me know what you've got.

Last edited:
only one steel Mtb left in the stable and its the grocery hauler
gave away my others including my brother's old steel Rockhopper. I'll look in the shed to see if I forgot anything

WP_20170506_11_39_23_Pro.jpg

I have a mongoose dx 3.3 striped down to frame and fork. I'm pretty sure it's a size 22. Yours for free.

If interested, I can take a pic tonight.
Only thing, I am in wayne.

However, I do need to return a cup tool back to Walt soon so I will prolly head to cnj but just don't know when.

I would really want braze-ons for a rack/fenders, but the offer is appreciated. I probably should have put that in the first post...

There are also huge toe-overlap issues with large wheel bikes that have a short enough top-tube for me to fit drops on, unfortunately. It would have had to be explicitly designed with that in mind.

That said, it might still be hackable; do you know what the effective top tube (flat line from top of the head tube-to-seatpost), fork axle to crown measurement, and fork offset are? I may be able to fit a shorter fork with more offset to compensate.

I have a mongoose dx 3.3 striped down to frame and fork. I'm pretty sure it's a size 22. Yours for free.

If interested, I can take a pic tonight.
Only thing, I am in wayne.

However, I do need to return a cup tool back to Walt soon so I will prolly head to cnj but just don't know when.

Intrigued, but only if the top tube is 22"/a little less; the goal is to throw drop bars on it.

if you're interested in aluminum, I have Gravity frame in the donation pile, it's a 29r also but more in the hybrid/comfort side. Probably enough clearance for 27.5 wider tires running discs

dutch_gray_men_2100.jpg

I would really want braze-ons for a rack/fenders, but the offer is appreciated. I probably should have put that in the first post...

There are also huge toe-overlap issues with large wheel bikes that have a short enough top-tube for me to fit drops on, unfortunately. It would have had to be explicitly designed with that in mind.

That said, it might still be hackable; do you know what the effective top tube (flat line from top of the head tube-to-seatpost), fork axle to crown measurement, and fork offset are? I may be able to fit a shorter fork with more offset to compensate.

Intrigued, but only if the top tube is 22"/a little less; the goal is to throw drop bars on it.

I don't think I have the detailed specs any longer, but I can take some measurements. I know the TT is somewhere in that range, but not sure if its more.

Understand the toe overlap thing. Newer designs seem to have overcome that with geo tweaks and bigger fork offsets. This frame may have been built with rigid in mind, but I put a suspension fork on it. Walt did offer to add lugs and stuff on the frame. I had him add the V-brake mounts. In hindsight, I should have had him add the lugs too.

I have a size L Specialized Expedition. 1" threaded. Paint already mostly stripped I think.

Also I have some sort of steel Gary Fischer entry level type of thing from the early 90s also size L I think.

Are we talking more in the M range or L?

I have a size L Specialized Expedition. 1" threaded. Paint already mostly stripped I think.

Also I have some sort of steel Gary Fischer entry level type of thing from the early 90s also size L I think.

pics of the expedition please, pretty sure they were the ones made by Miyata

It's a smallish medium frame, or a small frame, outright. Thanks, though.

I have a complete (less Brakes) Trek 6500 with a 21.5" top tube. Also have a Trek threaded steel fork with cantis and rack mounts if you need that. Let me know.

P.S. 26" old school

Wow, I found Waltworks summary to me:

Sarah’s 29er frame. This sucker needs a repaint, which is included in the price. Any color you want! This will fit smaller riders (5’6 to 5’9 or so) but you’ll need to have reasonably small feet if you want to make sure to avoid toe overlap - contact me if you have questions and we can figure out if you’ll fit well. It’s designed for a rider+gear weighing around 150 pounds. Lifetime warranty included.

Geometry: 71 degree head tube, 73 degree seat tube, 23” toptube, 14” seat tube (center-center), 70mm bottom bracket drop, suspension corrected for 80mm (this frame was built pre-Rebas - it will NOT clear a Reba poploc at the downtube!), 440mm chainstay length, disc only, full cable stops, breezer dropouts, frame weight 4 pounds. Takes 26.8 seatpost. Generous clearance for an Exiwolf.

Sarah is 5’7 w/ 32” inseam
Size 39 shoe will clear wheel with 38mm offset
Marzocchi has a 43mm offset
BB: 68 x 113
Seatpost: 26.8mm
Fr. Der.: 28.6 TP TS

(I did some quick measuring tonight: The actual top tube length is about 22-1/8". Effective top tube length is about 23". Approximate measurements center to center using a tape measure. Let me know if you have any questions.)

[snip]

I am about 50 pounds over his recommended weight, with the stuff that I would carry with me :(. I am also probably a smidge too large for it, though I do have small feet, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I have a complete (less Brakes) Trek 6500 with a 21.5" top tube. Also have a Trek threaded steel fork with cantis and rack mounts if you need that. Let me know.

P.S. 26" old school

Sent you a PM

Sarah’s 29er frame. This sucker needs a repaint, which is included in the price. Any color you want! This will fit smaller riders (5’6 to 5’9 or so) but you’ll need to have reasonably small feet if you want to make sure to avoid toe overlap - contact me if you have questions and we can figure out if you’ll fit well. It’s designed for a rider+gear weighing around 150 pounds. Lifetime warranty included.

Geometry: 71 degree head tube, 73 degree seat tube, 23” toptube, 14” seat tube (center-center), 70mm bottom bracket drop, suspension corrected for 80mm (this frame was built pre-Rebas - it will NOT clear a Reba poploc at the downtube!), 440mm chainstay length, disc only, full cable stops, breezer dropouts, frame weight 4 pounds. Takes 26.8 seatpost. Generous clearance for an Exiwolf.

Sarah is 5’7 w/ 32” inseam
Size 39 shoe will clear wheel with 38mm offset
Marzocchi has a 43mm offset
BB: 68 x 113
Seatpost: 26.8mm
Fr. Der.: 28.6 TP TS

(I did some quick measuring tonight: The actual top tube length is about 22-1/8". Effective top tube length is about 23". Approximate measurements center to center using a tape measure. Let me know if you have any questions.)
I think Sarah is his wife, great stuff,

Back
Top Bottom