Unapproved Trails at Rancocas

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Forestry staff have noticed the blazed unapproved trails that were made this year at Rancocas State Park.
Staff asks that the trail blazing stop and that the person(s) involved instead work with Forestry staff to improve the trails.
Pass it on as needed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Forestry staff have noticed the blazed unapproved trails that were made this year at Rancocas State Park.
Staff asks that the trail blazing stop and that the person(s) involved instead work with Forestry staff to improve the trails.
Pass it on as needed. Thanks.
I work nearby and occasionally walk the existing trails on my lunch break. Noticed in the spring some newer trails that didn't look official. The blazing was excessive on both the official and rogue trails. Looked as if park management painted over only to have the person(s) paint over again, multiple times. Trail heads have been marked with 2x4 and 4x4 into the ground. As a JORBA member that's knowledgeable about trail permissions, this was pretty appalling.

I go there on very rare occasion but also saw some new trails when I was there earlier this year. IIRC there were signs warning about not being allowed in certain areas, something about cameras and possible prosecution? Don't quite recall the specifics but you get the idea.

I was just randomly riding whatever and at one point came out to one of these signs claiming the trail I had just ridden was one of these trails...whoops....

Haven't been back since but I'm guessing it hasn't gotten any better from the sounds of this post.

I go there on very rare occasion but also saw some new trails when I was there earlier this year. IIRC there were signs warning about not being allowed in certain areas, something about cameras and possible prosecution? Don't quite recall the specifics but you get the idea.

I was just randomly riding whatever and at one point came out to one of these signs claiming the trail I had just ridden was one of these trails...whoops....

Haven't been back since but I'm guessing it hasn't gotten any better from the sounds of this post.
That area would probably be Rancocas Nature Center section of the park. I made that mistake once myself. Don't ride there as much as I used to, just walks at lunch.

The reason for the OP is that there's been rogue trails cut complete with blazing of trees with paint. As I mentioned in my previous post, trailheads have been marked with posts.

That area would probably be Rancocas Nature Center section of the park. I made that mistake once myself. Don't ride there as much as I used to, just walks at lunch.

The reason for the OP is that there's been rogue trails cut complete with blazing of trees with paint. As I mentioned in my previous post, trailheads have been marked with posts.
Nah, I know not to go near the nature center. It was one of the blazed trails. Which was why I didn't think twice about taking it.

Nah, I know not to go near the nature center. It was one of the blazed trails. Which was why I didn't think twice about taking it.
Oh right. I recall some signs out by where the Chief's house was, by the Rancocas Creek, that had a rogue trail build and there were signs about environmentally sensitive areas, cameras and prosecution.

Oh right. I recall some signs out by where the Chief's house was, by the Rancocas Creek, that had a rogue trail build and there were signs about environmentally sensitive areas, cameras and prosecution.
General question, do they have any ability to
Enforce?

I scanned the QR code of the first picture to sign up for TM. Got an email that the park is planning for MLK weekend, but date is not set just yet. I'm going to try and make it. After my last walk, interested in seeing how the illegal stuff will be dealt with.

I received a reply from the park about volunteering for TM. A little bummed that the plan looks like raking the ROAD and trails.
1704489155246.png

While I can't make the scheduled TM, here is the information that I received today about Saturday. Looks like the unauthorized trails have been addressed.

Rancocas SP Trail Work and Unauthorized Trails​

Inbox
Search for all messages with label Inbox

Remove label Inbox from this conversation

default-user=s40-p

DEP SRO Trail Steward [DEP] <sro.trailsteward@dep.nj.gov>​

7:00 AM (2 hours ago)
to

Good Morning!

We're looking forward to seeing some of you on Saturday! We could definitely use more help so feel free to sign-up or share with friends:

https://forms.office.com/g/RNvVmpNsWi

Over the course of my work at Rancocas State Park these past few months, I've come across many unauthorized user created trails. Some of these trails have been blazed or flagged, and some are merely paths cut into the woods.

None of these trails are authorized for use. Please do not use them when visiting Rancocas State Park. Trails approved for use can be found on this map:

https://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/maps/rancocas-area.pdf

Most of the unauthorized trails we have deblazed, removed the flagging and/or placed leaves/brush across them. Do not reestablish or maintain these trails.

Please do not post them on social media.

All new trails must be approved in advance by the New Jersey State Park Service before any work can begin which includes flagging and/or clearing the trail.

If you see new trails being created or posted online, please let me know.

Thanks for your understanding and help with this!

I hope to see you Saturday!

Eric

= = = = = = = = = = = =
Trail Steward

Southern Region
New Jersey State Park Service
Department of Environmental Protection

609-704-1964

njparksandforests.org

Unauthorized trails have been the focus. Can't make it this week, but here is an update.
1706708625661.png

Links to volunteer
If you are planning on attending, please follow this link to register:

https://forms.office.com/g/RNvVmpNsWi

ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST REGISTER

In addition to registering, if you have not completed a volunteer form this year, please follow the link below. You'll only have to do this once a year.

https://forms.office.com/g/bcdvUr5Uav

Feel free to share/forward this e-mail with anyone you think might be interested in joining us. We can always use more help!

Future trail workdays – all 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. – are:

• February 3 SATURDAY
  • February 18 SUNDAY
  • February 24 SATURDAY
Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Back
Top Bottom