Troubleshooting a clicking...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've got a good clicking coming from the area of my crankset. Clicks 1 or 2 times per revolution and only while pedaling (it is silent during freewheeling).

I've: replaced the bottom bracket, greased and tightened all the crank ring bolts, swapped pedals to eliminate them as the culprit, checked the frame closely for cracks, and made sure the RD, hanger, and cassette are all tight.

Only thing I've noticed is the ring bolts for the 22T ring looked really beat up. Like the threads are starting to strip but they still tightened up well.

Before I replace the crankset, which is a crappy Deore-level crank anyway, does anyone else have any suggestions on what else to check? It's a 2010 GF Paragon if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dip the bike in your bathtub filled with lubricant. ;)

Here is my super secret tip o the day. Drop of lube between the chainrings at each bolt location. Just because things are tight doesn't mean things are not moving and causing a creek.

When you put in your new BB did you use grease? I'd assume you did, but I just figured I'd get the obvious stuff out of the way.

-Jim.

This is a shot in the dark, but...I've had a crank arm contact the cs only when under load. The result was a click that took weeks to track down because a trailside inspection or up on the bike stand would not simulate the flex a crank arm suffers under load. In otherwords, simply spinning the crank by hand would not force the contact and resulting 'click'. Good luck.

This is a shot in the dark, but...I've had a crank arm contact the cs only when under load. The result was a click that took weeks to track down because a trailside inspection or up on the bike stand would not simulate the flex a crank arm suffers under load. In otherwords, simply spinning the crank by hand would not force the contact and resulting 'click'. Good luck.

I wish I was strong enough to flex a crank arm! But I'll check the chain stays for marks.

Check the chain connector link for clearance against the front deraileur and the chain ring bolt heads. Sometiimes the link is slightly wider than the other links or is binding. Also a link could be binding under load from the use of a chain tool.

Check the chain connector link for clearance against the front deraileur and the chain ring bolt heads. Sometiimes the link is slightly wider than the other links or is binding. Also a link could be binding under load from the use of a chain tool.

Thanks, I'll check the chain one link at a time...

Dip the bike in your bathtub filled with lubricant. ;)

Here is my super secret tip o the day. Drop of lube between the chainrings at each bolt location. Just because things are tight doesn't mean things are not moving and causing a creek.

+1

Ben, Thanks for the tip. I've been chasing a click "down there" for weeks and had the crank out twice. I was ready to replace the BB bearings when I saw your post.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom