Trouble sleeping the night before a race?

Dairyman

Anyone else have the same issue? The last h2h race was brutal with 0 sleep the night before. Any tips or tricks?

I have a hard time falling asleep the night after a race, but I think it's for different reasons

Try a sleep aid? Advil/Tylenol pm? I like Emergen zzz.

I have a hard time falling asleep the night after a race, but I think it's for different reasons

Try a sleep aid? Advil/Tylenol pm? I like Emergen zzz.

I like Melatonin. Trader Joes sells a chewable mint one that i love.

Good news- the night before isn't critical for performance. There have been studies on this- but so long as you have solid 8 hour nights leading up to the race- you're set. Obviously, you should lay in bed the night before- but if tossing and turning its not a huge deal.

Good news- the night before isn't critical for performance. There have been studies on this- but so long as you have solid 8 hour nights leading up to the race- you're set. Obviously, you should lay in bed the night before- but if tossing and turning its not a huge deal.
I heard the night before the race is the most important. I probably slept no more than 3 hours before some long distance races and didn't feel exhausted

My mind goes mental the night before too, toss and turn a lot just thinking about how it'll go down but never really lose sleep from it... I think

Night before is almost irelavent as long as the few nights before that are good. Normally on race you get up earlier than usual to travel and whatnot so you'll normally race with less sleep.

Do more races, the butterflies will go away with time

-As said above, no electronics 1 - 2 hours before
-Get bike, gear, food, directions everything ready 2 - 3 days in advance, make a checklist so there is nothing to occupy your mind the night before
-Load up the car/truck/van the night before also
-Mentally put a game plan together a day earlier too, breakfast, drive down, parking, registration, number plates, warmup, grid up, run the race.
-Melatonin is also a great sleep aid, may give you crazy dreams but will definitely knock you out

eat an entire thanksgiving dinner the night before...that usually puts me right to sleep

i'm 53 years old - have competed at the mid level in many sports. i can't sleep. 3-on-3 hoop tournament, racquetball club championships, golf, running, riding, mid-terms/finals - doesn't matter. if i do go to sleep after rolling around in bed for 3 hours, i can only sleep for a couple. not so much worried, i'm just excited about the events i choose to participate in. maybe cause they are few-and-far between? hell, i can't sleep if i need to meet/pick-up someone early to do something casual, like snowboarding. no plane flights before noon!!!

expect it, embrace it. deep breaths.
i also find that opening my linear algebra book and getting about 2 chapters in will bring immediate sleep. D for diploma.

Back
Top Bottom