Tourne Closed until further notice

A dog owner's lack of planning to encounter other trail users does not constitute an emergency for me when they do. Ride on.
fair, but im not punishing a dog to teach its owner a lesson. Dogs chase things, end up lost...get hit by cars, etc.....id rather just stop and ask the owner "you got em?" But thats me, im a dog lover...you and @rick81721 are heartless bastards 😂

fair, but im not punishing a dog to teach its owner a lesson. Dogs chase things, end up lost...get hit by cars, etc.....id rather just stop and ask the owner "you got em?"

Me too, though once I ended up having to go back to the owner three times because the dog kept following me.

fair, but im not punishing a dog to teach its owner a lesson. Dogs chase things, end up lost...get hit by cars, etc.....id rather just stop and ask the owner "you got em?" But thats me, im a dog lover...you and @rick81721 are heartless bastards 😂

I don't see how letting a dog run for a mile that obviously wanted to run is in any way punishing it. It had zero chance of getting lost. And let's be real - I run 8 minute miles tops. The dog wanted me to go faster 😃

PS. saw a big bear at the top of the jump line at HighBridge last weekend. We all shouted "BEAR", politely waited, and it walked by. Back to trying not to OTB.
Serious question: Is this the recommended response? I'm no Marty Stouffer, but I thought you were "supposed" to back away slowly from a bear until they move on. (But shouting "BEAR" sounds a lot more fun!)

PS. saw a big bear at the top of the jump line at HighBridge last weekend. We all shouted "BEAR", politely waited, and it walked by. Back to trying not to OTB.
yep might have been this one that I saw a few weeks ago right in HB along the side of the road by Voorhees park during my road ride.

1687459988927.png

and dont wory all This pic is waaay zoomed in and i was standing behind a parked car with my bike pointed back downhill for any escape needed. Although she didnt seem too alarmed at all the other cars stopping to take pics and video and seemed pretty passive considering she had her cubs with her.

Serious question: Is this the recommended response? I'm no Marty Stouffer, but I thought you were "supposed" to back away slowly from a bear until they move on. (But shouting "BEAR" sounds a lot more fun!)

Make yourself big, make as much noise as you can and for the love of God don't run. That's how the Rutgers students a few years back were killed.

99% of the time the bear will run away, the other 1% it may bluff charge you.

yep might have been this one that I saw a few weeks ago right in HB along the side of the road by Voorhees park during my road ride.

View attachment 216327

and dont wory all This pic is waaay zoomed in and i was standing behind a parked car with my bike pointed back downhill for any escape needed. Although she didnt seem too alarmed at all the other cars stopping to take pics and video and seemed pretty passive considering she had her cubs with her.
that might be the one. didn;t see the cubs. to correct the description...slowly backed away while shouting "BEAR". There is a hell of a difference between a biker shouting "bear" and a dog absolutely losing its sh*t chasing the bear. I have most definitely heard dogs going batsh*t over things at Tourne.

Will this be like the cannonball run during the pandemic...will someone venture to Tourne to knock out KOM's fully knowing that the park will be empty ?

My mom is scared of off leash dogs that come running up or sniff you (esp on trails), which is most in my opinion. She freezes and rightfully so. No other animal is going to come right up to you other than an off-leash dog. Very seldom do I see a dog walking within 6’ of an owner off-leash with the dog paying no attention to me as I pass. Unfortunately that’s what it should be IF you are going to have your dog off-leash.

I’m in the keep riding until the dog stops chasing you club. Off-leash dog owners are some of the most stubborn people ever, so just by giving them a citation or education is going to do nothing. Kind of like the people who still wear a mask alone in their vehicle.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions