To custom or not to custom

DAS

Looking for some opinions (not sure if I'll find any here, ha ha) on a new bike. Given the opportunity, would you get a custom bike made or use the same amount for possibly two bikes?
I'm leaning toward custom because this opportunity will probably not come around again, life is short, etc.
But is it worth it? I'm not sure if I really am that discerning.
Anyway, any thoughts/ input/ experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

I went custom on my road bike not only for fit but ride characteristics as well. I also wanted mixed materials which I'm not sure you can find as standard. While it took about 8-10 weeks which is short for custom I felt it was worth it. I love the way the bike turned out and how it rides.

Background needed of what is in your stable and the type/types of riding you do as well as how often you ride.

Personally, two bikes because over time everything will need to be worn out and replaced anyway.

Can't tell you how many bikes I have built or seen built for customers/friends that were supposed to be their ten to twenty year bike (think custom Ti and Steel hardtails in the 90's) only to be replaced by something else 20-30 months down the line when the latest and greatest came out.

Define "custom". Do you mean have a boutique builder build something for you soup-to-nuts, or do you mean spec out your own using high-end parts (wheels, drive-train, etc)? Because those are different things. For example, my road bike is basically an Ibis Silk SL but then the shop I use basically just kept the parts I liked and swapped out everything else based on what I preferred (I has the wheels built, replaced the stock bars, upgraded the gruppo, etc.) The whole thing was more expensive than a stock bike but probably not as expensive as if I had the whole thing built from scratch.

Didn't want to bore everyone with details but:
I ride an average of 5 days a week, 4 of those are extended commutes and the 5th is for fun.
Mostly road rides but mt biking too.
If I went custom it would be for the road.
By custom I mean from scratch.
Currently I have a cannondale evo, a trek 1.1 that I use for commuting, a cannondale flash for mt biking, and a steel myata converted to single speed for errands around town.
I really like my evo and am happy with the flash. If I don't go custom then I'm thinking of a gravel grinder for the commute and more and maybe a fatty for fun and snow/ice commutes.

Didn't want to bore everyone with details but:
I ride an average of 5 days a week, 4 of those are extended commutes and the 5th is for fun.
Mostly road rides but mt biking too.
If I went custom it would be for the road.
By custom I mean from scratch.
Currently I have a cannondale evo, a trek 1.1 that I use for commuting, a cannondale flash for mt biking, and a steel myata converted to single speed for errands around town.
I really like my evo and am happy with the flash. If I don't go custom then I'm thinking of a gravel grinder for the commute and more and maybe a fatty for fun and snow/ice commutes.

You are in the field that would benefit/enjoy custom.

Edison? you should get a custom fat bike and ride the beach

what kind of budget do you have for this project

ya, how come custom FS29ers are not more popular? i mean i know big sean has one

ya, how come custom FS29ers are not more popular? i mean i know big sean has one
Probably because suspension designs are always evolving & FS bikes are more prone to breaking, pivots wearing. It's easier to warranty a production FS than a boutique bike.

That being said I say go custom for road or HT mtb. I vote for Seven titanium. I love my Sevens, it's a great feeling when someone asks me what size my Sola HT is and I answer "my size"

How long have you been a serious cyclist and how many bikes have you owned in that time ? Custom is a life time commitment. I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Serotta back in the day but I realized (accepted) that I like to change things up with somewhat a regular frequency and that a custom frame would quite likely become worthless on the secondary market.

Back
Top Bottom