Thomson carbon drop bars

So it's actually a 44 on my super six lol

I have a spare bar stamped 46, which actually measures 44 (center to center, I guess the stamped dimension is edge to edge?). Anyway, I held that up to my existing bar and it appeared that it was wider, hence why I was "so sure" my current bike was > 46

I swear I previously had an EA50 44cm that was too small on another bike, so I dunno wtf is true anymore. Excuse me while I go make up some more shit.
Maybe the 44 measured a 42.

12° is nice. Any more, like cowchipper and woodchopper territory, is dumb IMO.

This!

Flared bars as we know are unknown territory for someone with years on traditional bars. Cowbells are just enough. For the most part shifters are still lateral and palms face in while in the drops.

Reactions: rlb
Could be, I don't know what's real anymore. I just pulled a stem out of a sealed package labeled 90mm, and the stem was stamped 100mm.
giphy.gif

Could be, I don't know what's real anymore. I just pulled a stem out of a sealed package labeled 90mm, and the stem was stamped 100mm.
Different bar manufacturers measure them differently. Some where the hoods go, some at the end of drops.

All my cx bikes have Easton ec90’s and ec70’s in 46cm and they are true 46 c-c of the hoods. Personally I hate narrow bars on my road or cx bikes but everyone is different.

Different bar manufacturers measure them differently. Some where the hoods go, some at the end of drops.
Just noticed this... and yes, yes they do. Some manufacturers measure center-to-center and some measure overall width. So a 42cm C-C bar by one manufacturer could be the same as a 44cm OW by another. This is for standard drop bars. I have no idea how those cursed flared bars are measured.

I found this out the hard way with the Thomson bars I mentioned 4 years ago. The bars on my Colnago are 42cm OW. Not knowing the difference, I bought 42cm Thomson bars. After an hour of riding, my hands would start hurting. While the Grade has a tad higher stack than the Colnago, the other difference was the bars. I measured the bars - 44cm OW or 42cm C-C. To test my fit theory, I bought another set of 42cm OW bars in the same brand as on the Colnago. Hand pain substantially reduced. While the stack is still too tall for comfort (I seem to be more comfortable with a lower, more "race" road position) I now know I need at most a 42cm OW drop bar. Although I'm considering trying some even more narrow bars with the next road bike.

Other than that, the Thomson bars are sweet and oh so crazy light. Sux I can't use them...

I have a new set of 46 Ritchey WCS venturemax bars i've never used if anyone would be interested.

Back
Top Bottom