This happened

Mic360

IMG_1395.JPG

So... I had to use my wifes car to get to work today and decided I was going to go to Lewis Morris after work. During lunch I checked my front tire because I have been losing air and It was down to 13psi from 18 this morning. So I pumped it up to 25psi to see if I could get a better seal. I went back to work and I was all ready to head over to ride when I walked up to my car and saw a shit ton of what looked like bird shit on the rear window. It would to have been a dinosaur sized bird how bad it looked. I see that its inside and I know what it is. I open the trunk and the fucking tire exploded off the rim and the orange seal is absolutely every fucking where in her car...... I guess im not riding today. The only reason I could think of why this had happened was that the gauge on my pump is broke and I added way to much air. I dont know but I spent a shit ton of time cleaning it and the only thing I need to replace is the trunk liner. Some speckles left on the back seat but everything else came off with some work. I brought the bike in the house and im not looking at it for two weeks.

Progold bike wash (and I'm sure other clear soaps) works pretty good to get that crap out. A 'medium' hard toothbrush makes a good scrubber.

G'luck!

View attachment 39161

So... I had to use my wifes car to get to work today and decided I was going to go to Lewis Morris after work. During lunch I checked my front tire because I have been losing air and It was down to 13psi from 18 this morning. So I pumped it up to 25psi to see if I could get a better seal. I went back to work and I was all ready to head over to ride when I walked up to my car and saw a shit ton of what looked like bird shit on the rear window. It would to have been a dinosaur sized bird how bad it looked. I see that its inside and I know what it is. I open the trunk and the fucking tire exploded off the rim and the orange seal is absolutely every fucking where in her car...... I guess im not riding today. The only reason I could think of why this had happened was that the gauge on my pump is broke and I added way to much air. I dont know but I spent a shit ton of time cleaning it and the only thing I need to replace is the trunk liner. Some speckles left on the back seat but everything else came off with some work. I brought the bike in the house and im not looking at it for two weeks.
Great story bro
Any pictures of the inside of the window dinosaur bird shit scene?

Great story bro
Any pictures of the inside of the window dinosaur bird shit scene?

Nope only took that pic to show a friend and at that point I was too mad to even think about taking more pics. It pretty much looked like this but orange and I was making the same face as the chick.

car-windshield-covered-in-bird-poop.jpg

Oofffff.... That blows. Guess the seal held..... Until it didn't.

The rising temp inside the car prolly also had somethin to do with it also. Best to crack a window next time.

doubled the temp inside the car, so doubled the pressure in the tire!

Hope it cleans up even more.

The real question is
Did or did not tell the wife?
We want full disclosure esp when she does realize you been having an affair
:)

Knew a guy at an old job who had a 5 gallon can of car undercoat burst in the cab of his truck. He bought it at lunch and it sat in the sun while he was working. It was amazing lol. I couldn't believe how far it went and how much it coated.

I don't think temp rise alone could cause this.

PV=nRT but T has to be absolute temp (Kelvin or Rankine). If car goes from 60 F to 160 F in the sun (seems reasonable?) that's 289 K to 344 K.
P2/P1 = T2/T1, P1 was 25 psi.
T1/T2 = 344/289 = 1.2
25*1.2 = P2 = 30 psi

30 psi shouldn't blow a tire off a rim, seems to me like there must be some other problem.

PV=nRT but T has to be absolute temp (Kelvin or Rankine). If car goes from 60 F to 160 F in the sun (seems reasonable?) that's 289 K to 344 K.
T1/T2 = 344/289 = 1.2
25*1.2 = P2 = 30 psi

30 psi shouldn't blow a tire off a rim, seems to me like there must be some other problem.

Ambient temperature rise inside the car is one thing..but if you account for absorbed heat into the tire from sun radiation you can get a lot hotter . I have been at transition areas for adventure races on a hot day, where the bikes that were laying in the sun vs the shade had their tires blowing just from heating up.

T1/T2 = 344/289 = 1.2
25*1.2 = P2 = 30 psi

Good call on the degK

T1/T2 = 344/289 = 1.2
25*1.2 = P2 = 30 psi

Could it get hot enough to boil the water in the sealant?

Do chemicals in the sealant react to extreme heat that would cause an increase in pressure?

My non engineer head says there is merit in this question.

If the liquid in the tire begins to converts to a gas at the temperature the tire reached.... The rapid change in pressure + softening and stretching of the tire and/or bead would likely account for the eruption.

Furthermore. if the chemicals themselves react to heat and or the rubber of the tire or aluminum rim they might themselves have added to the rapid temperature change.

For example, I know ammonia and aluminum react cuz Stan's corroded the crap out of my C24 Road tubeless rims. Not sure what Orange Seal uses.

Just a theory.

Back
Top Bottom