The Original BIYF 18/19

1/17
Ride Time: 1:10
Bonus: Night ride
Total Time: 1:30

https://www.strava.com/activities/2086142250

It's been nearly a week since I've been on the bike between the new year rush at work and co-leading an outdoor recreation trip up to the ADK, where no biking was found (good XC skiing and snowshoeing...but this isn't the indoor/outdoor thread). This is the time of year where momentum, or lack thereof, will set the tone for the next 2 months of riding. If I don't get on the bike regularly, I'll wake up and it'll magically be the first short track race and I'm 15 pounds heavier! Tuesday morning was the first opportunity I had from the trip to get back into the BIYF swing of things and I failed then and again on Wednesday...Yesterday I finally gathered enough motivation to take the rigid SS MTB to the local trails since the ground is rock solid thanks to a good spell of subfreezing temps. Felt great to get onto the frozen mud instead of the road!

::::A little cold, dark, mid-ride introspection incoming:::
It's been close to 3 months since I've been on the local trail networks and they have been totally destroyed from people riding during the wet weather we seemingly had all year. The local stuff has a good amount of rocks but this ride rattled me more than ever before with the frozen ruts EVERYWHERE. I'm super bummed that the local MTB scene from 5ish years ago has evolved to trail destruction/shit jump lines/widening/braiding/strava lines/creating C-D-E-F lines...Unfortunately it has gone from a solid (fight club) place to get in a good MTB ride after work without driving and has made me just do road riding more. I've tested out my light setup over the past couple of weeks and should last a solid, well illuminated 3-3.5 hours of cold nights ahead so I'll be making the drive to more favorable parks the rest of the off-season (conditions permitting). I'm in a very fortunate living situation where I am free to travel where I want with minimal restrictions. I'm finally beginning to realize that and I'll favor taking a 30 minute drive to a trail network I love and enjoy riding each and every time over forcing myself to stay local "because it's convenient". Sure it's nice that it's there (and in some cases I'll take that over nothing), but in this phase of my biking life, pleasure wins over necessary evil. Now, back to my happy light treatment.

Thank God. Every train home from the city stops @ EWR Penn, Nothing better than grabbing a roadie with my bro-in-law on a summer Friday.
the only issue is, the beer selection is odd, to say the least...they have a lot of stuff in bottles, but that sucks for a train beer, and then they have a bunch of randos in cans, like they just emptied out their fridge from home and brought it into the store!

1/18/19
time 1:46

https://www.strava.com/activities/2086935879

got out for a rare weekday AM local MTB group ride...the < 1 inch of snow and frozen ground made for near perfect conditions on the ever-growing Edison/Metuchen/South Plainfield off road trail network!

oh, and we had a flat, and a train blew past us while fixing it, making it about 20 degrees colder!

IMG_8676.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG

1/18

3:05

Strava Yesterday repeat solo plus more singletrack

Repeat of yesterdays's outback ride solo (so less lollygagging) plus added another section of my favorite singletrack around here - Live long and Prosper. Fun twisty trails that go along an old canal. Saw a big otter jump into the water but no gators on this stretch

IMG_20190118_110959_316.jpg

On the way home thru Mabry Carlton reserve, saw a few more gators but @ridgehog is getting sick of my gator pics. However, passing the Myakka river along sleeping turtle preserve, spotted a Yuge gator on the opposite bank, had to get a pic

IMG_20190118_120239_688.jpg

1/18

3:05

Strava Yesterday repeat solo plus more singletrack

Repeat of yesterdays's outback ride solo (so less lollygagging) plus added another section of my favorite singletrack around here - Live long and Prosper. Fun twisty trails that go along an old canal. Saw a big otter jump into the water but no gators on this stretch

View attachment 85844

On the way home thru Mabry Carlton reserve, saw a few more gators but @ridgehog is getting sick of my gator pics. However, passing the Myakka river along sleeping turtle preserve, spotted a Yuge gator on the opposite bank, had to get a pic

View attachment 85845
Always happy to see photos of the outside world. But gators are ugly! As to the Florida weather, must be tough having to wear only one layer of clothing. Jealous no, envious, maybe a little.

Last edited:
ha! not today! that's for those longer weekend rides!

Cool- just food for thought.

If you cross the track near Cedar Grove Apartments (Highland Park side) there used to be a small circle track that leads to the apartments. From here you are less than a mile away from Rutgers Eco.

Forgot to mention, the double track between NP High School and the parks north have significant patches of Florida snow (aka Fake snow) - sugar sand. Almost pure white and super fine - places where quads fluff it up it's fun to fishtail your way through it. Wreaks havoc on the drivetrain tho, man my poor spearfish is squeaking and squawking like crazy.

Forgot to mention, the double track between NP High School and the parks north have significant patches of Florida snow (aka Fake snow) - sugar sand. Almost pure white and super fine - places where quads fluff it up it's fun to fishtail your way through it. Wreaks havoc on the drivetrain tho, man my poor spearfish is squeaking and squawking like crazy.
Are you sure that's the bike, not the rider?

Assuming you did this ride from your driveway, have you ever ridden the trails on Watnong Mountain/Mountain Way Park? There's only like 4 miles of trail there, but it's really nice singletrack. Not worth a drive, but if you can ride there from home it's pretty cool.
I have not! I pass the Mountain Way school all the time on my road bike....is it in that area? I’ll have to look into it...

01/18
2:14
Bonus: dark 0:20, snowing 0:20, 5/5 1:00
2:54, 3:54 with 5/5 bonus

Avoid that Salt Death

The snow this morning was more stickier than Sunday's snow and seemed to be more slippy on the trails. Tried to avoid the salted roads as much as possible, as I know that the salt is what makes the snow stick to everything.

1lju9WTkznaOEYdgD9OHjfG4-p4PHkb1OcSpggXBIIA-1536x2048.jpg
Wait there's a snowing bonus?

1/18
1:35
Bonus: Lunch Ride; Add 1 hour, weekly bonus factorage
Total 2:35

Friyay

Lollygagged for what felt like more than usual. The roots were Arthur Treacher-ous in there; traction was sporadic. I thought it would have been all meltated but I guess it stayed colder than forecast. Stopped on a switchback that stays greasy so I wouldn't wreck, then promptly fell on my ass pushing the bike. Yup, greasy.

All good, gotta get some work done, then goin drinkin.

Image-1.jpg

1/18 5of5
1:17 moving
bonus 1hr for 5 days in a row (actually 6, but sunday counts as last week if i read things correctly)
total 2:17

https://www.strava.com/activities/2087462244

surprisingly frozen, all the mud was contained to the water crossings, and ONE little patch on upper red which i seem to recall holding alot of water, the rest of it was still frozen under a blanket of leaves (the leaves had defrosted and were wet, but no mud) good ride overall, took it easy since there was still alot (relative to what came down ) left on the trails, even got some first tracks.

3:18
Check out my ride on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Lfh2GPpsAT
28d827f7-70e4-feb7-0000-016862b43283

Any day I'm not at work and riding my bike is a win in my book. Took the muk today didn't need it but just wanted to. Saw my 1st ever snowshoe rabbit sorry no pics but you probably wouldn't be able to see it anyway with the snow. My 1st winter ride through Jimmy Kane swamp it's basically a 1 mile puddle due to quads and beavers and lack of DCNR patrol no matter how much I complain
20190118_101735.jpg
20190118_105823.jpg
20190118_105820.jpg

The 1st pic is yard sale a tricky rock garden hard normal direction I did it backwards and didn't make it through

Back
Top Bottom