The Good Deals Thread

The ~$1500 price range would typically put you on an alloy frame with mechanical disc brakes and an 8 or 9 speed shimano or microshift group. Not tubeless ready wheels too.

This thing is a bargain if that's all the budget you have. Even comes with bottle cages and lights!?!?! Sure, it's all entry level but if you're trying to dip a toe into the sport I don't know where you could find a better deal.
well its $2000...and I dont know...to me....$2000 is not dip into the sport....Like if you are to the point where you are spending $2000 and buying a FS bike with this much travel? you have probably been riding something else first......And quite frankly, the low level fox oem stuff is GARBAGE,....I have had to send back enough brand new fox factory stuff, I can't imagine how shitty this stuff is. Is this frame actually good in terms of geometry? suspension design, etc? I'll say I havent researched it. I guess if its your very first bike and $2000 is like whatever, great.....but I would advocate for someone spending a little more of something nicer that they could also resell if they dont like....all of these bargain basement bikes are pretty worthless after you use them.

I spent way too long looking at gravel bikes over the winter and watching prices. Cheapest was Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 for $1600 or a Trek Checkpoint Apex 1 for $1800. Cheapest CF frame bike was Giant Revolt with GRX600/800 for $2700. I nearly messaged a guy last week with a Specialized Diverge on FB Marketplace. CF, Apex 1, and $2000. I would have offered $1800 and been very happy but the head tube shock seems gimmicky. I mean, with 40c tires at 40psi, why do I need a spring in the head tube?

ANYWAYS. I ordered an Intense gravel bike with Shimano GRX. I was torn between GRX and Apex and decided to sleep on it. Well, the GRX is nearly sold out as of today so I jumped on it.

If I hate it, I'll return it to Costco. But for $1600 after tax and free delivery, I'll give it a try. It's maybe a pound heavier than some more expensive bikes but it looks to be mostly in the wheelset and tires.

Thanks @Mare @Dictatorsaurus @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST for letting me annoy you all winter about this silliness.

dude, lol...you fucking kill me. This is meme worthy @Pearl

ANYWAYS. I ordered an Intense gravel bike with Shimano GRX. I was torn between GRX and Apex and decided to sleep on it. Well, the GRX is nearly sold out as of today so I jumped on it.

If I hate it, I'll return it to Costco. But for $1600 after tax and free delivery, I'll give it a try. It's maybe a pound heavier than some more expensive bikes but it looks to be mostly in the wheelset and tires.
200w.gif

I spent way too long looking at gravel bikes over the winter and watching prices. Cheapest was Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 for $1600 or a Trek Checkpoint Apex 1 for $1800. Cheapest CF frame bike was Giant Revolt with GRX600/800 for $2700. I nearly messaged a guy last week with a Specialized Diverge on FB Marketplace. CF, Apex 1, and $2000. I would have offered $1800 and been very happy but the head tube shock seems gimmicky. I mean, with 40c tires at 40psi, why do I need a spring in the head tube?

Thanks @Mare @Dictatorsaurus @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST for letting me annoy you all winter about this silliness.
You got it at the right time! Its all sold out now! Maybe someone bought them in wholesale to resell later.

Now that the gravel bikes are gone what do you all think about the MTB's? :D

Is there any difference between the sniper T frame and the 951 XC frame? The whole bike is cheaper at Costco then the frame on the Intense website (where it's also out of stock). Would make a nice XC FS bike...I have most spare components to upgrade it anyway (assuming the seat tube is 31.6).

Is there any difference between the sniper T frame and the 951 XC frame? The whole bike is cheaper at Costco than the frame on the Intense website (where it's also out of stock). Would make a nice XC FS bike...I have most spare components to upgrade it anyway (assuming the seat tube is 31.6).
As I understand, the 951 series is not as high quality carbon, for Whatever that’s worth. I’m sure 90% of us will not take the 951 to the limits. That 10% is the @UtahJoe peoples

yes geo and suspension design is legit. Even has a flip chip.

RT just let me enjoy my TRAIL. It arrives tomorrow and hopefully wife doesn’t spot it and UPS leaves it under the front coverage and not by the garage to get drenched. I haven’t bought a new bike for 15+ years. I’m not looking for the best and I’m the ride what you brung guy. Every used bike I buy has some story. Ain’t nobody got time to shop around. Just let me enjoy my new $2k bike that is probably way better than anything I’ve had in the past. I haven’t had a modern FS 29er or 12 speed. I’m a deal hunter and maker through and through down to price/sheet for TP or else I’ll really be in financial ruin with all the hobbies that keeps me sane. I could probably sell $1000 in parts and bikes that I haven’t touched in years to offset the cost. I want to get back to catching some air and lightning the load on them group rides. My Salsa bucksaw is a tank and designed to stay planted to the ground. That bike is a beast on the rocks tho. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Last edited:

you forgot to also mention the great deal you passed up on a nice Purple Checkpoint that would have cost you less but with full GRX 800... :p

but hey welcome to the Gravel dark side and hope to see you and the CostcoGRX out on the gravel roads soon.

As I understand, the 951 series is not as high quality carbon, for Whatever that’s worth. I’m sure 90% of us will not take the 951 to the limits. That 10% is the @UtahJoe peoples

yes geo and suspension design is legit. Even has a flip chip.

RT just let me enjoy my TRAIL. It arrives tomorrow and hopefully wife doesn’t spot it and UPS leaves it under the front coverage and not by the garage to get drenched. I haven’t bought a new bike for 15+ years. I’m not looking for the best and I’m the ride what you brung guy. Every used bike I buy has some story. Ain’t nobody got time to shop around. Just let me enjoy my new $2k bike that is probably way better than anything I’ve had in the past. I haven’t had a modern FS 29er or 12 speed. I’m a deal hunter and maker through and through down to price/sheet for TP or else I’ll really be in financial ruin with all the hobbies that keeps me sane. I could probably sell $1000 in parts and bikes that I haven’t touched in years to offset the cost. I want to get back to catching some air and lightning the load on them group rides. My Salsa bucksaw is a tank and designed to stay planted to the ground. That bike is a beast on the rocks tho. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
and after what you and the fam have been thru you deserve to enjoy whatever bike you want.

Back
Top Bottom