The Gang Goes on a Bike Ride

I've been thinking of doing my next test at Jalapeño on their Wahoo to see how the virtual power compares.
I think it's a good exercise but remember that as long as your power is being measured consistently, accuracy is a secondary concern. Unless you're going to buy a Kickr and train on that too, your numbers from TR virtual power should still be the basis for your workouts.

Moral of the story on FTP tests is that they're hard and limited use is probably better than hitting them very often. I saw gains through base training last year so I think it made sense to reassess at that time but everyone is a special snowflake so it's definitely not a one size fits all type of thing.

-You should put the effort into making actual Cyclocross specific plans based on existing TR workouts that incorporate WW and weekend races and post up those blocks. :) And then email them those plans!
-Once TR allows importing external rides I think that'll be huge.

-You should put the effort into making actual Cyclocross specific plans based on existing TR workouts that incorporate WW and weekend races and post up those blocks
Mon: Easy 3-4 mile run, yoga, or Taku - 30 min, 19 TSS, 0.62 IF
Teu: Pettit - 60 min, 39 TSS, 0.63 IF
Wed: Wednesday Worlds
Thu: Off or yoga
Fri: Crane - 45 min, 51 TSS, 0.82 IF
Sat: Race
Sun: Race or 1:30 - 2:00 outside with no more than 0.7 IF

All in, it probably falls into the 400 TSS/wk range which is around the range of their mid-volume plans.

All these numbers give me anxiety. That's why I like Ken (Elite Endurance), he does all this thinking for me...
The combination of a good coach prescribing specific power workouts which I do on a smart trainer exactly as prescribed gave me some great results last year.

TrainerRoad has a specific CX program. I also purchased the Sufferfest Intermediate CX plan two years ago. That incorporates both indoor and outdoor workouts and drills. The Sufferfest plan is where I get the drills from that we use in the weekly sessions I attempt to organize. The downside to that plan is the limited number of workouts that the 'Fest has. Although after doing the TR program last fall, most of the workouts are the same from week to week, they just change the names. I may go back to the Sufferfest this year. Thankfully, I own all the videos and can play them on TrainerRoad so I have the benefit of the power targets, along with the kickass music and race footage.

IWBMATTKYT

Also... A friend of mine just got some Garmin pedals, and has been using them with TrainerRoad. He says the virtual power is nearly the same as what he's getting from the vector pedals.

The combination of a good coach prescribing specific power workouts which I do on a smart trainer exactly as prescribed gave me some great results last year.
Agreed that a coach does all of the thinking for you which makes training easier. I like understanding what everything means and why its prescribed at a specific point in the week/season. Generally TrainerRoad makes good training plans but their cyclocross plan doesn't fit with the Northeast racing schedule. It's a one size fits most thing with fancy graphics and without a doubt worth every penny for what they charge. I do think that their cross plan is a good build to drop you off with good fitness for cross season.

In an ideal world, I'd hire a coach in a heartbeat but it's a tough sell at home. My wife wants a fancy new apartment and how can I tell her we can't afford the extra $250/mo mortgage payment but I'm spending $250/mo on a coach?

I also purchased the Sufferfest Intermediate CX plan two years ago.
Interesting, I didn't know they had training plans. I haven't done a Sufferfest workout since they were included with Strava years ago. They were good when I used them and I'm sure they're much more advanced now. I'll consider it when June rolls around. I'm holding out hope that the real estate market doesn't pick-pocket us too bad (lol) and I'll be able to hire a coach for the summer and cross season.

They now have an app, much like TR. Monthly subscription. Streaming videos. Plans are included.

Take a look at the companies that offer "canned" training plans. You have to do a little more homework but they are much easier on the wallet. This one seems to be popular and cost effective:
https://fascatcoaching.com/product-category/mtb/

All these numbers give me anxiety. That's why I like Ken (Elite Endurance), he does all this thinking for me...
Agreed 100%. Having someone to adjust your schedule and life events, WW, a super cool group ride you want to do... etc. it keeps you in the groove without getting out of the rhythm the plan has. It can change with you. Hell, I thought going on a cruise the week before CX started would be bad, but somehow we made it work. Training with a coach is addictive, but after a couple of years its hard to stay that motivated for the whole year. Maybe not everyone races MTB/CX hard in one season 100%, but between the two seasons, personal life, work and money, its hard to stay with it.

Once you train with a coach long enough, you "sort of" know what to do. You could always go back and recycle your plans and build up your fitness the same way, but preparing for events and being fresh for them may take a little getting used to. If you learn how to train and do the work, you can either stay at that same level of fitness, or maybe make slower gains.

As always, if you want to get fast, fast, you're best bet is to follow a plan/hire a coach.

Think of all the bike pumps you could win!

Imagine having the opposite problem? My wife started training before I did. I can't buy a set of brakes without her noticing.

$250 sounds like a lot.... I bet if you ask around you may be able to find something cheaper.

I tell her we can't afford the extra $250/mo mortgage payment but I'm spending $250/mo on a coach

I'm sure you can find someone to take 250 a month, but Ken has stuff for 75.

Dry January or Dry mid-January through mid-March

The "dry January" thing seems to have gained some significant steam in 2017. I've been seeing a lot of wrap-up posts in the last week on Facebook/the web. Independent of the hype, I had been planning a dry period in 2017 to try to drop some empty calories from my diet which in turn should hopefully help shed some weight. I was also curious to see how the claims of having a better mood, not getting tired, and not feeling fuzzy hold up. I wasn't a big drinker before deciding on the exercise, usually two beers or glasses of wine if we go out to dinner and maybe a casual beer on Sunday afternoon but here's to #marginalgains.

We had a long vacation to Hawaii planned in the beginning of January so there was no change in hell that I was going to pass up Mai Tai's and Maui Brewing Company beer. I decided to do my dry period from the end of vacation (1/15) until I take my professional exam (3/13) then celebrate with a beer afterwards. A beer on a Monday night after not drinking for two months most likely will get me pretty wasted!

I had my last drink on January 15th so I'm almost one month in and really don't notice much of a difference except it's a tad easier to get moving in the morning after I normally would have had a drink. So maybe that is the intended benefit? Not to say that I ever have a craving for a drink but coming home from work on a Friday night with no plans just seems like the perfect time to crack one open and relax. Week by week, the desire does diminish though.

After this is all over (I can't wait), I'd like to keep limiting my alcohol intake but see no reason to give it up entirely. I probably will end up gravitating more towards red wine with the occasional beer and cut out hard liquor entirely. I'm still not sure what I'll do with the 8-10 open bottles of bourbon laying around the house though. Who wants a donation?

First, I'm glad to see somebody talking about actual structured training in the Bathroom Remodeling section. I like data. I assume CX is going to be the primary focus with crits in there for fun and for speedwork? If so, a couple observations.

1) I like 8 min FTP tests. They are more practical to do and I think they are just as informative than the "standard" 20m protocol the internet suggests.
2) On Peaking for Nittany. Just curious why Nittany? It's a long way from Nittany to November.
3) Burn out. Does your CX plan include an off season? Think about a typical MTB or Road season. The off season is usually winter followed by a quick ramp up to spring and summer racing. If you train hard from now all the way through August you risk imploding by mid-October. Where is the reset button in your plan?
4) Skillz. Power counts but I think the biggest gains you'll see this year will come from improving bike driving and CX specific technique (I'm not even talking about dis/re-mounting...focus on quickness through transitions). Since you aren't going to be mountain biking this year, ride your CX bike on dirt once every week or two all spring & summer.

First, I'm glad to see somebody talking about actual structured training in the Bathroom Remodeling section. I like data. I assume CX is going to be the primary focus with crits in there for fun and for speedwork? If so, a couple observations.
I like data too! It's one of the reasons that drives me to riding on the trainer so much and trying to put power meters on everything I own. The analysis is great. Plus upward sloping graphs always make you feel good. Yes, 100% all in for cross this year.

1) I like 8 min FTP tests. They are more practical to do and I think they are just as informative than the "standard" 20m protocol the internet suggests.
Having two passes makes it much easier to handle. I'm sticking with the 8 minute protocol as long as my focus will be on shorter power racing.
2) On Peaking for Nittany. Just curious why Nittany? It's a long way from Nittany to November.
I discussed the rational a bit earlier with @Santapez on TR plan composition but didn't really explain fully. Nittany is an A race for me based on the course profile and venue awesomeness. The TR cyclocross plan is not good for a northeast style cyclocross racing schedule with the possibility of two races and a WW each week. I think their plan will work well to drop you off at a good fitness level for cross season.
3) Burn out. Does your CX plan include an off season? Think about a typical MTB or Road season. The off season is usually winter followed by a quick ramp up to spring and summer racing. If you train hard from now all the way through August you risk imploding by mid-October. Where is the reset button in your plan?
I had some definite burnout last season as November wore on and this was a primary concern for me building out my structure for 2017. I took some good time at lower intensities and focusing on gym work from early December until this week. All of the TR plans incorporate a rest period every 4-6 weeks and I'll be adding in an additional one between all of their plans, so 3 2-week rest blocks (one every 6 weeks or so) before cross season. I have no problem adjusting everything based on feel too. If I'm starting to feel cooked, I'll back it off for a few weeks. Also I don't plan on racing as much this year, probably only 1 day per weekend with the occasional double if I'm feeling up to it.
4) Skillz. Power counts but I think the biggest gains you'll see this year will come from improving bike driving and CX specific technique (I'm not even talking about dis/re-mounting...focus on quickness through transitions). Since you aren't going to be mountain biking this year, ride your CX bike on dirt once every week or two all spring & summer.
Yep, skillz are vitally important. Once the weather improves, I'll start doing at least one easier ride/week on the CX bike in LSP focusing on bike driving.

People love to diss Nittany because it is a "grass crit" and because it's the same damn course year after year. I actually like it and tend to do ok there. The vibe could be a million times better but it always has the feel of a season kick-off. People come in droves with high expectations and are ready to throw down.

Nittany is a course suited to people with great 3-15 second power who can gun it right from the line. Your plans to sharpen up the left side of your power curve should pay off at here. Here's a power chart for the first lap Nittany (2014 or 2015 I think...counterclockwise direct, bone dry conditions). dotted line is estimated FTP of ~260ish. Time span here is about 6:30-7 minutes

32442118460_779e5839f3_b.jpg

Although it's flat and crit-like it's not a power course. There isn't a single section of continuous pedaling longer than 20-25 seconds. There are roughly 30 distinct sprints in each 7 minute lap....more if you include running the stairs and barriers as a sprint effort. That means you are essentially doing a full out sprint effort every 12 seconds. Full gas followed by coasting/cornering. There is almost no times pent pedaling at threshold power. It is the antithesis of a road TT effort.

My suggestion is to avoid the temptation of hitting a peak in early September. You should feel great but still building fitness. Peak a couple weekends of racing in to the season...late Sept, Early Oct. From that point, your fitness from racing every weekend or so plus 1 hard day midweek (WW or trainer) will hold you through December. Supplement with base/recovery if you need to for weight management. Just my $0.2

Ugh, its Feb and I'm already talking about Nittany...

I don't know why being a grass crit is a bad thing. It's just a different type of race.

Of all of the races I went to last year, Nittany had the best amenities (showers and Sat farmers market) and should provide for ample heckling and socializing. There's so much parking along the course that a tent-row should be easy. Everyone shows up on summer road fitness and it definitely isn't the easiest the easiest race to do well at but I'm hoping I can put in some good work. Even though it'll be an A race for me, who knows what that means in terms of results. Not having any experience to MAC cat 3/4 fields last year leaves this all kind of an unknown.

I understand the idea of peaking a little later. I considered it when mapping out my training for the year (it's sick that I have every TR ride between now and September mapped out in TrainingPeaks) but was gravitating more towards hitting the beginning of the season hard, taking a weekend or two off from racing to recover and build back up a bit, then going as long into the season as I can.

Don't bemoan talking about Nittany already, it's not like you're talking about an obscure race like Fair Hill. The draft UCI calendar is already out and the race directors meeting is happening yesterday and today so cross talk isn't that inappropriate right now.

I've been meaning to update this recently but have been swamped with work and real life so I'll keep this short.

Training was pretty much going on schedule until this week. I skipped a few of the longer Sunday rides in my TrainerRoad plan since I was time crunched with studying. I did a FTP test last Thursday, rode conservatively, added 6 watts, and probably could have done more. New FTP is 293W at 3.64 W/kg.

As soon as I finished my test I (and two months without a beer), I crushed a burger and two beers at White Star in JC. I should have never given up drinking for two months, what a dumb idea! I had the worst post-standardized test headache and the beers didn't help in the least but the sense of relief felt great. 50/50 on passing the test. Won't know for another month.
IMG_2830.JPG

Immediately after coming home from the bar, I started contacting real estate agents to sell our apartment and find a new bigger one because... SURPRISE my wife is pregnant! Due date is 9/13/17 and it's a boy. Cross season is going to be completely different now.

I rode Hell of Hunterdon on Saturday and it was insanely hard. I met up with @1sh0t1b33r, @seanrunnette, and @Mitch quickly at the start but ended up in a different start wave and just kept riding to not prolong the pain. I met up with some guys I ride with down the shore from Caffeinated Cyclist 20-25 miles in and rode the rest with them. Also saw @Santapez and and an enthusiastic @StayHydrated quickly on a climb. Surprisingly I didn't see many of the people I expected to. Mostly due to me starting towards the back and not drilling it for the last 50 miles.

I didn't take any pictures since it was so hard, almost crushingly so. I guess one to two hour trainer sessions don't prepare you well for 5-6 hours in the saddle. The dirt was fun as heck though. The only picture I took on the way home:
IMG_2869.JPG

Simultaneously with HoH my wife was on the real estate hunt on Saturday and I just found out we have an accepted offer on a new apartment. I spent all day Sunday and the last few nights making my apartment ready for listing so 4 flights of stairs have been my workout the last few days.

I was planning on Monkey Knife Fight this weekend but I'm most likely skipping it now: too much stuff to do on the apartment, my bike is a squeaky mess after HoH, and I'm still pretty beat up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom