The DIY thread - DIYourself

Nice work. How do you keep that SS backsplash so clean?

image_1231651025.jpg

But also this….. works awesome.
View attachment 227245
As someone who works in sheet metal fabrication, and helped my parents putting me through college by working many restaurant jobs, I really wanted something like that design in our kitchen. My much smarter than me wife, who also worked in restaurants during college, was very much against it. Repeatedly saying: "Are you going to clean it everyday?" Subway tile it is. And full disclosure, the SS oven is always a mess under the grates.

Last edited:
As someone who works in sheet metal fabrication, and helped my parent putting me through college by working many restaurant jobs, I really wanted something like that design in our kitchen. My much smarter than me wife, who also worked in restaurants during college, was very much against it. Repeatedly saying: "Are you going to clean it everyday?" Subway tile it is. And full disclosure, the SS oven is always a mess under the grates.
we did "commercial style" Stainless steel appliances when we gutted and remodeled the kitchen in 2006 which includes a SS attachment backsplash/shelf behind the oven (wall has tile behind it). If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT get SS i would get the fake looking stuff that only looks like SS because it is a total Beeatch to keep any of it clean.

we did "commercial style" Stainless steel appliances when we gutted and remodeled the kitchen in 2006 which includes a SS attachment backsplash/shelf behind the oven (wall has tile behind it). If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT get SS i would get the fake looking stuff that only looks like SS because it is a total Beeatch to keep any of it clean.
I love the look of the commercial style stuff. Unfortunately it's not in the budget for our reno. Just pulled the trigger on basic SS appliances. I am guessing it's the fake stuff.

As someone who works in sheet metal fabrication, and helped my parents putting me through college by working many restaurant jobs, I really wanted something like that design in our kitchen. My much smarter than me wife, who also worked in restaurants during college, was very much against it. Repeatedly saying: "Are you going to clean it everyday?" Subway tile it is. And full disclosure, the SS oven is always a mess under the grates.
I mean, as long as it gets cleaned semi-regularly, it’s not bad. Besides, I’d think the grout holds a lot more shit in it than stainless steel…..

I mean, as long as it gets cleaned semi-regularly, it’s not bad. Besides, I’d think the grout holds a lot more shit in it than stainless steel…..

My solution was to put up a solid granite backsplash because I didn't want to deal with grout. Even at 1/32 inch joints

it is also 6" wider than the range on each side. I really like Dan's solution for clearance on the sides.

IMG_0042.jpeg

Last edited:
Please tell me this is a picture from last December.... You don't really have a tree up already, do you?
at least a dozen houses in my neighborhood already have xmas lights outside, and one of the folks we know had the tree up BEFORE HALLOWEEN!

Yellow-ish tiles, with a cracked looking surface finish, off white grout. The SS stove top get cleaned more often than the backsplash.

Back
Top Bottom