The DIY thread - DIYourself

i have a craftsman table saw, no extension for sheet goods, but i have a the kreg ripcut for the circular saw so that gets the sheet goods cut just fine with a couple saw horses. I mostly use the table saw for ripping longer pieces down to size. I have dewalts double bevel compound sliding miter saw for my bevel/angle cuts.

I did do some adjustments to the table saw to help with dust control, piece of plywood across the bottom and a 2.5 hole for the shop vac, significant reduction in dust for not much cost.

Go all in.

I've looked at this. Same price if not more than the Rigid Portable Table Saw. Now it does have Plunge cut abilities, my circular saw does not. The 55" track and the circular saw adapter are sub $150, which make the price point that much better. Its something I would use sparingly. I don't have a mile of trim to put up like Dan.

This works ok for better-than-hand-only cutting of larger material.

Amazon product ASIN B073PFYN4T
I don't have an extension for the table saw, so long material is always fun.

Dan needs to make a material sled.
I clamped my sheetrock square down, and used that but its a pain cause it was 1 11/16 to the cut side of the blade, which made me look for at the track system.

Just my 2c
If you buy a track saw then buy from the creator
Festool!!!!

Don't disagree. I have the corded Makita, but since I'm already on their battery platform I'd get one of their cordless options at this point. No question the Festool saw is going to be great, it's just a large premium for the additional details that they bring to the table. I do have one of their vacuums and their drywall sander (via the Festool recon site) and I'm definitely impressed with both.

Lol
I am on makita bosh rigid Milwaukee battery platforms. That's not including my kolblat blower chainsaw weedwacker and hedge saw platform.
I do not own a track saw though its on my list as its much easier to load n go then table saw. If I do it will be festool.

lol...thanks

still have to sand the edges of all the pieces, then get it all up around the window.. I know at lease one or two pieces will be difficult because framing is never perfect...

do the strips and stool have a profile to them? Rounded/chamfered?

Could cut returns rather than sand-to-match. This also means no end grain.
Possibly do it with the head and apron casing too.
Glue them on with a headless brad to hold.

Alex is your friend.

If you really want to sand, get one of those disc and belt set-ups.

Alex is your friend.

I do all of my small returns like that using CA glue with activator...takes seconds and no risk of blowout from the nail

Alex is your friend.

The material is all finger joint pine 1x. All exposed edges need to be sanded to soften them up, like this:

35E8395A-A5BA-4B37-BF1B-44E57C936A24.jpeg

Have an orbital sander, not planning on any more tool purchases..... my bike is feeling neglected.

Just my 2c
If you buy a track saw then buy from the creator
Festool!!!!

I bought the original corded model 17 years ago. It's so old that it doesn't have the detachable (Plug-it) cord. It's the most-used tool in my shop. I also have the bigger saw (TS 75) and tracks up to 9' long. It's not truly a substitute for a table saw, but it's a game changer for working with sheet goods. Currently cutting up $180 sheets of A1 Walnut ply with it.

I was feeling a little better today so at lunch I decided to ensure that it would not snow and prep the snowblower. As I expected I had an issue trying to get it to pull start and decided before I completely wreck my back I will run an extension cord and use the starter.

It cranked a few times and died. Checked the outlet and it tripped the GFI outlet which never happens. Reset the plug in the snowblower and tried it again. Cranked once and tripped again. GRR.

Dragged it out front to the garage to try a non GFI outlet and a different power cord. Then I realized the ground part of the starter plug side broke off. Great. 🤬. I thought for 3 minutes I could pry the plug open and fix it but instead called the local repair center. He’s got a refurb starter for $50. Perfect. Took off the old one and brought it to him. We tested both side by side and mine was on its way out anyway.

Got it all connected back up and it fired up on the first try. And nothing leaking from the carb. Since I was already outside I opened up the lower pan And regreased the gear selection shaft Which was not working 100% making it hard to change from forward to reverse. Hit it with some lithium lube and it’s good to go.

Now it won’t snow. You’re all welcome.

17E81349-6E1B-440B-A41F-9624755FF693.jpeg6ECEDAC9-FE50-49F7-8D74-3B618E0378F3.jpeg

I was feeling a little better today so at lunch I decided to ensure that it would not snow and prep the snowblower. As I expected I had an issue trying to get it to pull start and decided before I completely wreck my back I will run an extension cord and use the starter.

It cranked a few times and died. Checked the outlet and it tripped the GFI outlet which never happens. Reset the plug in the snowblower and tried it again. Cranked once and tripped again. GRR.

Dragged it out front to the garage to try a non GFI outlet and a different power cord. Then I realized the ground part of the starter plug side broke off. Great. 🤬. I thought for 3 minutes I could pry the plug open and fix it but instead called the local repair center. He’s got a refurb starter for $50. Perfect. Took off the old one and brought it to him. We tested both side by side and mine was on its way out anyway.

Got it all connected back up and it fired up on the first try. And nothing leaking from the carb. Since I was already outside I opened up the lower pan And regreased the gear selection shaft Which was not working 100% making it hard to change from forward to reverse. Hit it with some lithium lube and it’s good to go.

Now it won’t snow. You’re all welcome.

View attachment 175395View attachment 175396
I did the same thing. Mine wouldn't start either, despite it being brand new a year ago and adding fuel stabilizer to the tank before I put it away in the spring. Hooked it up to the extension cord and it took 10 minutes of priming and retrying and it finally started. Blew white smoke for a minute and then leveled off. I hate gas powered yard equipment. I see they're doing battery powered snowblowers comparable in size to my 9.5 hp gas unit. I wonder if they're any good.

Mine wouldn't start either, despite it being brand new a year ago
I find all the newer engines suck, particularly those with automatic choke. I have a Snapper walk behind mower (8 years old now) with a B&S that is a PITA to start, especially when it gets to November. I always have to pull the cover off and mess with the choke linkage. I really need to remove the auto choke crap and rig up a lever. Even sucks to start in the summer, particularly if I stop for a lunch break and the engine is semi-warm.

My old Ariens blower with the Tecumseh Snow King fires up on the first pull every time. Ok, maybe the 2nd when I pull it out of storage. But, old and reliable! Unfortunately the float always sticks and requires a good blast of carb cleaner every season, otherwise gas just dribbles out of the bowl. I guess I can live with that.

I did the same thing. Mine wouldn't start either, despite it being brand new a year ago and adding fuel stabilizer to the tank before I put it away in the spring. Hooked it up to the extension cord and it took 10 minutes of priming and retrying and it finally started. Blew white smoke for a minute and then leveled off. I hate gas powered yard equipment. I see they're doing battery powered snowblowers comparable in size to my 9.5 hp gas unit. I wonder if they're any good.
Had a friend dump his gas snowblower last winter and buy one of those battery powered ones. Not sure last years snowmageddon season was a good time to do that and compare but he said it didn’t last as long as he would have liked. And the last thing I need is to have the battery die when I am
The furthest away from the house and have to drag it back.

Plus if power outage with a snowstorm then can’t recharge it. Sorry I am always thinking “what if “. That’s why I also primed and tested my 5500W generator today too.

Just glad I am handy to tinker with the gas powered stuff to avoid huge repair bills. The Guys at the power repair center even know me already since usually I just need parts or they are very helpful if I make a phone call for some advice or a question.

Anything gas powered that I own, I drill a small hole in the air filter cover so I can insert the long thin tube that comes on a can of either.
Then I leave the choke open before trying to start it and give it a blast of either, then close the choke if necessary.
Usually works pretty good.
download.jpg

Back
Top Bottom