The DIY thread - DIYourself

Cleaned the carb last week in a plan to do yard clean up. Today I fire it up and I hear a rattle assumed it was just the body dropped some twigs in gave it a shove and it locked up hard enough one leg lifted a whole mm... Took it apart assuming something was jamming it and found a head bolt. Went to pull it to see if it was still good, nope, motor is locked. I'm assuming the crank is bent.

Now I have a set of heads that I let my son play with while I work on stuff, I went straight to those heads and saw a missing head bolt. I'm assuming sometime between cleaning the carb and this morning my son tossed it into the chipper since it was in the middle of the garage while I was getting mulch or something.

At the tender age of 2 and a half my son has claimed his first engine.

Gonna see if I can bring some Honda game to this puppy before I toss it. I have a spare motor on another machine that I think is to valuable for this use so I'm turning my sights to Craigslist.

IMG_20190608_210403944.jpg

Yard didn't get cleaned

Cleaned the carb last week in a plan to do yard clean up. Today I fire it up and I hear a rattle assumed it was just the body dropped some twigs in gave it a shove and it locked up hard enough one leg lifted a whole mm... Took it apart assuming something was jamming it and found a head bolt. Went to pull it to see if it was still good, nope, motor is locked. I'm assuming the crank is bent.

Now I have a set of heads that I let my son play with while I work on stuff, I went straight to those heads and saw a missing head bolt. I'm assuming sometime between cleaning the carb and this morning my son tossed it into the chipper since it was in the middle of the garage while I was getting mulch or something.

Gonna see if I can bring some Honda game to this puppy before I toss it. I have a spare motor on another machine that I think is to valuable for this use so I'm turning my sights to Craigslist.

View attachment 97093

Yard didn't get cleaned
Sure... blame it on the kid...:rolleyes:

View attachment 97093

Yard didn't get cleaned
The only things I get straight from this story is that you clean up your yard with a carb, that you fix your carb while you’re getting mulch and your yard didn’t get a clean up.

Last edited:
Id rather something more serviceable, I'm not a fan of being so wasteful.

i'm not sure it is wasteful - they are mass produced, and work until they break.
the metal can be recycled. it is faster to change the motor than replace the piston rings.

i'd think of the engine as a single, replaceable part.....so you are already being economical
by not replacing the whole thing.....

the other side of that is the regular maintenance. do it, and don't abuse it and a good chance it will never break.

broken engines also make good things for kids to take apart without having to worry about putting it back together!

Anyone know a good plumbing supply store? Trying to find a 3/4" flare to 3/4" MIP adapter. Lowes, HD, Tru value don't carry a 3/4" flare.

Back
Top Bottom