Switched to Clipless

Astark

Whale Farts
I made the switch a few weeks ago and it has been a struggle. I started riding strictly on the road and my local fire road to get used to feel. All was good and i was constantly practicing clipping in and out.

It was then time to hit the trails, first down hill a few times then started with some easier climbs. All was good except I fell a few times. Nothing too bad..increased the level of trails just a bit and i have been getting my ass kicked. Biggest issue is i have trouble unclipping fast enough on my right side...or unclippijg if gravity isn’t in my favor.

All i hear from fellow riders is how great it is. I’m clearl not seeing it.

Any advice?

The biggest mistake I see in most new users is trying to pick their foot up off the pedal while twisting, but that lifting action actually makes the pedal grip harder. You want to push your heel downward and away from the pedal, almost like sliding off to the side. Once you get the hang of that it turns into muscle memory and you'll find yourself putting a foot down without even thinking about it.

Pick a dedicated foot as the first in and first out. I teach new riders to clip their right foot in before the mount the saddle and clip their left foot out when stopping. This will become more automatic over time. Of coure there will be times when the right foot needs to come out first, but in general this technique works for most.

I'd ask what pedals you are using?

I've been on shimano spds since the late 90's and although i've tried others, I keep coming back to these. I recommend using the m530 with the bigger platform and the mutlirelease cleat until you have better mastery of the pedals. These cleats will prove to release too easily, but they are great for learning.

I use clipless pedals on all my bikes including my DH bike.

Being able to pull up is why I use clipless. You will find it useful when you need that little extra umph to get over that hill. Ratchet pedaling is also easier with clipless.

Get the pedals to the loosest setting. Just gotta get muscle memory to twist as already said. Hard habit to break when your natural inclination is to pull or slide off.

Last edited:
two big points already mentioned

heal down and away, to get out
use multi-release cleats on the shoes (assume you are using SPD - sh56 i think)

keep practicing!

The Mulit release cleats are huge. I didn’t even know they had 2 options and was running the standards and would dump it constantly at slow speeds.
Moved the the multi Release and it’s a no longer a problem
Good luck !

Good luck. I would love to see you continue to update this thread as you progress. I have resisted switching to clipless but the temptation is getting harder to resist...

I started with a old set of M737 with SH51 cleats and hated it, went to flats afterwards
Switched to Eggbeaters for about 2 years before going back to flats last year
Rode the new pedals with SH51 earlier this year and they are much easier to release than the old pedals, I'm thinking to get the SH56 cleats as I slowly get the mojo back to ride clipless

As mentioned already, depending on the pedal there may be some settings to adjust the release. I ride eggbeaters (Mallet Enduros) and just flipping the cleats around will change from a 15 degree (easier) to a 20 degree ( harder) release. I haven’t ridden SPDs in over a decade but remember I was always playing with the release settings till I found my comfort zone.

What's wrong with riding flats ? I understand the itch to try different things especially when 95% of riders clip in but honestly riding flats will force you to learn proper technique . And who doesn't love drifting a high speed turn foot out flat out

Once in awhile I take a pedal spike strike to the shin or calf, but especially at a place like the sourlands, I like the ability to dab or bail out in a flash
dab.gif

Time! (not the brand). Just give it time, you'll get used to it.
I do recommend the brand too :) I used SPDs for years, but they came unclipped when I didn't want them to, and they clump up with mud easier than my times. I know I'll get a lot of push back on this, but I am just sharing my experience (and love of Time pedals).

Anyway, practice and it will become second nature to ride the clipless. If you are feeling like you don't have enough time to react, practice balancing/trackstanding on flats for a bit first. Or practice in the ball pit at Chuke e Cheese.

@Mare45 I'm a big fan of TIME as well. Tried spd (a few pedal types) for a season, then eggbeater, then TIME... to me they combined the best features of the other two types, and felt right.

All I use are Time pedals, mostly because they have more float than others. The float helps my knees btu does make it harder to clip out.
Having said that, since I got involved in NICA, I switched to flats after 25 years, much easier to be around people (especially beginners).
As already mentioned, flats do seem to make you work on your technique more.
Ironically, (good) flat pedals have NO float so I have to adjust my feet now and then.
I still use the Time pedals when I am doing gravel or trainer.

Good luck. I would love to see you continue to update this thread as you progress. I have resisted switching to clipless but the temptation is getting harder to resist...

I went from clipless to flats. My feet are much happier, and I don't really miss them. Still clip in on the road.

I still don't know how you ride Sourlands on flats
My shins would have been murdered after 1 ride if I was on flats there.

Heels down through the chunk!

Back
Top Bottom