Steerer Question

Jchoog

Hi All
I recently bought a used fork off another member. Apparently I never measured my bike and just assumed the steerer would be long enough. However, this bike happens to have a very big headtube and when installed, the steerer only goes halfway through the stem. The top cap bolt attaches but I am unsure how sturdy this setup is.
Do you guys think it's too risky and I should just get another fork or can I get away with a steerer that only goes halfway through my stem?
:hmmm:
Thanks

How much was the fork? If it was cheap sell it off and get something that fits. If it was expensive, go to a LBS and see about a thinner headset getting you some more room. If that's a no go and you still want to keep it you could buy a new frame but by the time you have it built up you'll be out of pocket even more cash.

Thanks all,
I had paid a good amount for it and really wanted to use it as it is perfect for my build.
what problems can I expect if I push it?

If you're looking for what is worst case, I'd imagine it would be stem/handlebars popping off the steerer after a hard hit. If you're only getting the steer tube halfway thru then you aren't applying the proper force the stem is designed for in order to hold the for on. Keep in mind that the cap is only to apply pressure to the bearings, and not to hold the fork on. Any spacers to can remove to make up the gap? You good if you can get it to within a few mm of the top of the stem.

Ya, this is something you shouldn't mess with. Unless you have good health insurance.

Have a photo of what the setup looks like now?

If you have a conventional 1 1/8th headset, The Crank Brothers headsets have a really low stack height. You could also look for a stem with a shorter clamp area.

is it just external cups?

Sorry, but I don't think any new headset or lower stack height stem will cover you. Only half way thru the stem is a lot of distance to cover.

This is one of those "pictures are worth a thousand words" situations. Think of it this way, if you have to buy a new headset, pay to have someone else install it (if you were close to me I would do it for a six pack), etc, it may be better to sell the fork and get another one (unless high end and more than $400 used). Either way...I would never feel safe riding an inadequate amount of steerer.

As a shop mechanic for four years I have seen this a few times, probably best to buy another fork.

I would ride it if I could get it so all the stem bolts were covered. but that's me, I'm dumb, and don't suggest you do the same.

You need the stem to fully clamp the steerer. There's not really another option... other than pain. for reals.

I had a similar situation a few years back. My steerer only came through 1/2 way up the stem. See if you can figure out your current stem's stack height then search for a stem with a lower one. There are quite a few but you might have to sacrifice your ideal stem length. Like someone else mentioned, remove all the spacers so the stem is sitting right on the top cup of your headset. I was able to gain just enough room to secure the steerer. The most important thing is to make sure the top bolt on your stem is bellow the top of the steerer tube. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom