SS crew rigid vs front suspension

Dairyman

I'm currently running fully rigid with a carbon fork. Thinking about throwing a suspension fork up front. Anyone regret going from full rigid to suspension? Obviously it is easy to switch back but then I'm stuck with a $500 fork. I feel riding rigid is making me a faster rider as I have to choose my line wisely. Faster as in I'm faster on my fs after riding rigid.

Last edited:
I'm currently running fully rigid with a carbon fork. Thinking about throwing a suspension fork up front. Anyone regret going from full rigid to suspension? Obviously it is easy to switch back but then I'm stuck with a $500 fork. I feel riding rigid is making me a faster rider as I have to choose my line wisely.

I don't think rigid makes you faster. It will help make you faster when you get a fork - - those lines you choose become less important. You can choose the shortest distance more often instead of navigating, and since you should be developing good bike handling skills on a rigid fork, you should be able to handle the tech at a higher speed. But that's when you switch -- you probably aren't faster on the rigid than you will be on a fork.

But I would say go with the fork. Your elbows will be happier for it.

where do you do most of your riding? this will help your decision.

thankfully @1speed didn't write a novel so i can read what he wrote and agree. at some point though, the speed gets too high and you will be losing time on a chunky, techy downhill, like something at RV or CR.

I feel riding rigid is making me a faster rider as I have to choose my line wisely.

The one advantage to riding rigid is the weight savings, but you have to weigh this against how technical(how many rocks you encounter) the trails are. Rigid is fun at Allaire , 6mile, Stewart. Rigid is not fun at Allamuchy, Ringwood and Wawayanda.
Save the $500 on suspension fork and put it towards a full suspension bike.

I have both. Prefer riding the bike with the suspension fork. I just feel like I can have more fun with the squish fork, even if it's just to help pop over obstacles. My rigid mostly gets used as a sort of monstercross/bike packing rig these days.

someone wrote something here recently about bikepacking
no one actually does it, it's a made up segment by the manufacturers

weight is a big issue for me as I have no upper body strength
are there any "light" 120mm suspension forks out there? not interested in one of those silly Lauf forks that Mitch rides...

not only where you ride, but the type of riding. if you are looking to crush downhill sections, rigid will not be as fun. if you are looking to crush your friends on a climb or at a race, you can put some serious contention into rigid as the fun aspect is how fast you can ride, or you a weight weenie. plus its cheaper to stay rigid ;)

i think about buying a fork for @ArmyOfNone's old Selma, but trying to find a straight steerer QR 80/100mm fork is tough... plus the squish is on the scalpel :)

Keep it simple. Rigid with all things Carbon like wheels, bars and post plus some 2.4 or larger tires feels magical with the right pressure. I actually enjoy it at CR. It make you ride smoother and this conserves energy. No in between though. I have an FS SS or rigid SS....it's either tolerable or it's not.

The one advantage to riding rigid is the weight savings, but you have to weigh this against how technical(how many rocks you encounter) the trails are. Rigid is fun at Allaire , 6mile, Stewart. Rigid is not AS MUCH fun at Allamuchy, Ringwood and Wawayanda.

Agreed with a slight edit. I ride a rigid primarily for the simplicity and because I'm terrible with maintaining my bikes. Less moving parts....less breakage. In the end, I feel a fork would make me faster on some of the descents...especially in Allamuchy and Stephens.

I split the difference and run a short travel (80mm) suspension fork with custom internals to make the fork fairly stiff. It's basically like riding a Lauf fork for 1/4th the price.

someone wrote something here recently about bikepacking
no one actually does it, it's a made up segment by the manufacturers

weight is a big issue for me as I have no upper body strength
are there any "light" 120mm suspension forks out there? not interested in one of those silly Lauf forks that Mitch rides...
I think bikepacking follows the path of most outdoor gear purchases- big intentions, but little follow through.
I do like bikepacking once in a while, but only because I like camping in Harriman. And would rather ride than hike.
Also, as far as "light" forks- in the past you could set a Reba up at 120 and I believe the sid as well. Not sure about the newest versions. I have a 5 year old Reba that's been adjusted between 90-120mm over the years. Currently at 110.

I mainly ride hartshorne which has some rocky parts. I'm a believer that riding rigid makes u faster with suspension. I'm actually faster climbing with my rigid SS than my 12x fs. Overall I'm faster on the fs 12x.

Then next debate is ti vs carbon...

1037267d1450801505-cannondale-f-si-ss-rigid-16-lbs-img_3045.jpg

Vs

Scott-Livingston-SS-29er-201206.jpg

When I went back to rigid a few years back, it was the dumbest thing I ever did to my wrists.

If you are riding technical places faster on a rigid fork then you don't have the suspension fork set up right.

That being said, rear suspension is more of any impact on picking shitty lines and it not really
Mattering.

I mainly ride hartshorne which has some rocky parts. I'm a believer that riding rigid makes u faster with suspension. I'm actually faster climbing with my rigid SS than my 12x fs. Overall I'm faster on the fs 12x.

Then next debate is ti vs carbon...
Interesting topic. Hartshorne is my home turf too and I ride rigid ss considerably faster there than my fs. Only one or two recents where I can be slightly faster on the fs.

When I went back to rigid a few years back, it was the dumbest thing I ever did to my wrists.

If you are riding technical places faster on a rigid fork then you don't have the suspension fork set up right.

That being said, rear suspension is more of any impact on picking shitty lines and it not really
Mattering.
Hmmmm, CR is my favorite place to ride but not fastest on rigid. I love jungle on ss however and don't enjoy riding there with a fork. Rigid makes riding calculated. At jungle the calculation is necessary or you eat shit. CR I pretty much just bomb everything rigid because I can but FS is def faster especially in blue and on the chunky climbs.

DT is Dairyman confirmed.

The faster on geared is usually because you can put yourself in a comfortable hard pace. With the SS you are forced to push it. My highest HRs are in the SS. The scalpel may turn a time closer, but I used my body more efficiently. I think.

Back
Top Bottom