Sports Physical Therapist Recommendations?

woody

Preferably in Union or Somerset county vicinity.
Ideally specializing in MTB riders who begin to develop right hip pain and leg numbness after 2 decades of singlespeeding.

Actually, it only bothers me when I'm NOT riding, so maybe I just need to ride more... :p

I'm almost 50 and left knee and heep pain bothes me after a week w/o cycling. I hate long trips on vacation bacause after 3 weeks i feel like 100 years old. My solution is ride often. Actually my knee is in better shape than it was 8 years ago when i started cycling.

Are you currently doing any stretches to open your hips and lower back?

I had exactly the issues you describe, and eliminated them through stretching and some position work on the bike.

I have had hip pain for ever and yes it is always when not on a bike. Sometimes it's worst then in other times. Welcome to getting old. That's all I got :)

RD246A00.jpg

Don't know how much experience she has with cyclists, but Michele Gilsenan, DO, is board certified in sports medicine and she has an office in Clark. Could be someone to consider...

Not a sport specific pt place, but Pro Care physical therapy has put several of us on this site back together. They have offices in South Plainfield and Bridgewater.

Are you currently doing any stretches to open your hips and lower back?

I had exactly the issues you describe, and eliminated them through stretching and some position work on the bike.

Yeah, I'm doing some of that stuff, but not getting improvement, so maybe not doing the right stuff. Hoping a PT can figure out exactly what's out of whack and tell me the right way to fix it.

we should really have a directory of doctors who understand actual athletes.

I went to the chiropractor for the first time in a few years Saturday morning. I told him my lower back hurts sometimes after long rides, and I wasn't sure if it was because I smacked my tailbone a few times crashing, or if people just aren't designed to sit on a bike that long. How long he says? 10-15 hours and my back will throb a bit the next day. He literally stepped back.

Each adjustment he made on me he had to ask what I broke in that area because it wouldn't move correctly.

Felt nice to have my skeleton lined up though.

I went to the chiropractor for the first time in a few years Saturday morning. I told him my lower back hurts sometimes after long rides, and I wasn't sure if it was because I smacked my tailbone a few times crashing, or if people just aren't designed to sit on a bike that long. How long he says? 10-15 hours and my back will throb a bit the next day. He literally stepped back.

Each adjustment he made on me he had to ask what I broke in that area because it wouldn't move correctly.

I'm currently looking for a Chiro, I went years ago (10 years) and it REALLY helped. But I was in BAD shape and it took the 3rd Dr to finally do it right. Chiro is really hit and miss with quacks and shit. The guy that finally got me was half quack and full weirdo but man he got me to loosen up good. He would do a LOT of super painful hard rubbing on certain muscles. Half quack, but it did get my body to finally relax and get my spine/back to loosen and flex and FINALLY get a good proper stretch.
My neck and mid back are super tight now, been like that for months now. Plus my chronic lower back sciatica. I should just eat a bullet.

FYI the notion of subluxations is complete quackery. Not that chiropractors do nothing - massage and deep tissue therapy will make you feel better - but the basis of their theory is nonsense.

From a former chiropractor:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/chiropractic-gimmickry/

I had/have a lot of the same pains and it stems from very tight hamstrings. My chiropractor fixed my knee by working on my hammie's, so you may be suffering from a similar issue. Get a foam roller and stretch them out.

I had/have a lot of the same pains and it stems from very tight hamstrings. My chiropractor fixed my knee by working on my hammie's, so you may be suffering from a similar issue. Get a foam roller and stretch them out.
I recently had very bad sharp pains on my kneecap for weeks. One trip to my chiro and a few days later and it was 100% gone. It was also a hamstring issue.

I swear by my chiropractor. You just need to fine a good one. They do so much more than just back issues.

Back
Top Bottom