Smart / bald pate

dirty bert

Banned
Good News Kids...

Well after 6 months of DIPLOMACY, Kevin Stout was successful in
getting SMART / BALD PATE officially recognized and approved as a trail maintenance organization at Bald Pate Mtn.

There are only two trails off limits to mountain bikes. Kevin was
given the OK to reroute almost anything he sees fit. In sections "P" east to sections "AD" 1-30 effectively the whole right side of the park on the map

He is still in the planning stages as far as what needs to be done and
what can be done in the future. Also TM days may be planned for Sundays.

Attachments

• Bald Pate map.pdf
    246.5 KB · Views: 420
The honey hollow trail is that step down trail right? That totally sucks that it's now off limits to bikers. :cry: The other trail I can understand because it had a chicane with a large step down that was impossible to pass on a bike.

Congratulations!
Thanks for all the hard work.
Maybe we can use your efforts as an example to get Garrett mtn and other areas open, legal and maintained

Nice, it was only a matter of time. We will get some people to those TM days.

What two trails are off limits? It wasn't clear from your post bert. . .

More PDFs

Nice, it was only a matter of time. We will get some people to those TM days.

What two trails are off limits? It wasn't clear from your post bert. . .

I couldn't post everything, here is another PDF with the listing of trails we can and can't be on.

Attachments

• Bald Pate-1.pdf
    203.5 KB · Views: 363
that sucks, we cant do the main climb from fiddlers creek anymore. The horses were starting to really destroy that area anyway. . .

Being that I have never been out there I can't add much to this conversation.

I will however say that if you are working with a blank canvas, it might make the most sense to almost ignore the existing stuff. Look at the bigger picture and imagine making the best use of the topography and natural features. Consider that as the trails get farther from the trailhead that they should get harder. Many newbie riders will never get more than 15 minutes from the car.

It is easy to look at the existing trails as permanent, but as I found at six mile it is pretty easy to add new trails. The best time to do this is in the winter when you have long sight lines and you can better read the terrain.

I am more than willing to look at the topo maps and do some drawings that might make good use of the landscape.

Being that I have never been out there I can't add much to this conversation.

I will however say that if you are working with a blank canvas, it might make the most sense to almost ignore the existing stuff. Look at the bigger picture and imagine making the best use of the topography and natural features. Consider that as the trails get farther from the trailhead that they should get harder. Many newbie riders will never get more than 15 minutes from the car.

It is easy to look at the existing trails as permanent, but as I found at six mile it is pretty easy to add new trails. The best time to do this is in the winter when you have long sight lines and you can better read the terrain.

I am more than willing to look at the topo maps and do some drawings that might make good use of the landscape.

Kevin Stout has already begun a process with a topo and has been in communication with the land manager. He will be looking for crew leaders soon. More info as we get it!

Last edited:
Kevin Stout has already began a process with a topo and has been in communication with the land manager. He will be looking for crew leaders soon. More info as we get it!

Woot woot! It's been a few years since I've been out there but I remember thinking that the place had plenty of potential. Keep us posted.

You can count the LBC "Lambertville Bike Coalition" to take on Trail Work. The best way to get in touch is through email: mcheney33@gmail.com or stopping in and talking to Arounkone at Pure Energy Cycling. Our group is new and ready for action! If you would like to join the group, please feel free to contact us. We usually meet up on Wednesday nights.

Kevin has been wearing a big fat diplomat Fedora for a while now and we're pleased that SMART will be expanding its reach and working within Baldpate.

Kevin's forming up a core trail crew now and would welcome any help you can give throughout the season. I'm not sure if he's ready to start work this month but I am pretty sure he's gel'n a few ideas together now (focusing on some fall line realignment and some mud spot armoring) and will be prepping for a couple of larger re-route projects in the year. as JDog mentioned there is one potential re-route that may have to wait until the foliage drops to get a full visual on the lay of the land.

in any case, the park has a lot of potential for super fun sustainable single track. good soils, solid climbs and nice all around terrain. if you're interested in improving bald pate's trail system, please drop him a line at baldpate at jorba.org and let him know that you want to be kept in the loop on future volunteer opportunities. thank ye! :D

awesome news! this place has really good potential...the top part of the summit trail is really good and it sucks no bikes on there...I will be down for some TM...

Back
Top Bottom