Should i upgrade or get a new bike?

CrankDat

I have a Specialized Hardrock disc. Its in the shop now and im eithergonna upgrade the rims, hubs, suspension fork and brakes or just get a new bike. What do you guys/ gals think?

I have a Specialized Hardrock disc. Its in the shop now and im eithergonna upgrade the rims, hubs, suspension fork and brakes or just get a new bike. What do you guys/ gals think?

You're pretty much building a new bike w/ all those upgrades. It'd be cheaper to get buy a complete bike w/ everything or almost everything you want on it already. Then you can sell the old one and make back a few bucks.

not worth putting all the money into that bike, nice entry level bike though. Buy a new bike. Better wheels and a front fork alone will cost almost what you paid for Hardrock alone. Shop around and find a frame that fits you geometry wise, then find the parts level you're looking for. Keep in mind spending extra on a new bike, even $100 is much better than (putting 100 into the original purchase get you more than 100 of upgreades later) upgrading later

While you did yourself a favor by buying a very nice entry level mtb, it's not really worth upgrading many parts on it. You'd be better off buying a new bike.

Although, lets say you broke your RD. Sure, then just buy a new RD for it. But dont do to town throwing XTR components on a Spec Hardrock.

that's my 0.02

I agree with everyone else,... your money is much better spent on a new bike as you will continue to need to replace/upgrade the old bike. You can sometimes get a great deal on a left over bike at the end of the season. Talk to the folks at your local bike shop and see what they have to demo. Then check out more bikes,... borrow a friends, come to the JORBA Bike Fest and demo some of the many bikes that are to be had. Either way, Good luck!

I don't always agree with the new bike direction. Half the time people buy the new bike then upgrade parts anyway. Other people just build the bike to their own specs. If you see yourself going down the road where you build your own bike, then upgrading pieces is actually the slow and slightly easier way to do it from your wallet's perspective.

But that's pretty deep. Are you in that deep?

I pretty much upgrade my bikes like I upgrade my computers. In a perpetual stage of morphing where I never really get a new bike or computer, but 3 years ago none of the parts are the same.
That being said, make SURE you have the TYPE of bike you want to keep riding. If you want to keep on a hardtail, that bike better be a 29er or do not buy rims and a fork for it. If it is a 29er than buying nice rims and a fork for it will suit you well now, and next year maybe you'll stumble upon a nice deal on a better frame and you can swap that out.

Thanks for all the useful opinions. I have to put wheels on it or I don't have an mtb to ride. I found some mavic crosstrail wheels for like 300 bucks so I'm gonna replace the wheels and ride this until I improve my skills. I'll ride whatever I can at the local bike shop and am kinda interested in the Jobra bikefest one of you were talking about. Anyway thanks alot for your help guys. At least I still have my tricross to ride for now.

Back
Top Bottom