seriously want a fatbike but I'm old school... what should I expect?

@TheLonerider

Two most important words:

TUBE LESS

My Spec aluminum FatBoi has a fork and weighs about 32 lbs. with a 1x. Tons of fun on the snow, beach, trails. Point and shoot-roll over everything, rip downhill. Got Nextie carbon rims a couple of years ago from @jimvreeland and they are snappier than the stock rims. Real deep snow (>6-8") before others pack the trails still stops the game, doe.

Some tire squirm/self steer, but you get used to it. Certainly heavier so it impacts times on long climbing sections of trail.

Still somewhat unusual so: Chick magnet on the trails if you are into that. I just replaced the rear Spec Ground Control tire after 2,000 miles. Snow doesn't wear out tires very quickly.

@FitmanNJ has a nice setup. Jim did the build (i think) - Dave, how did yours spec out?
I do think that I have a nice setup, but, as many have suggested, that's based on the type of riding that I like to do. @jimvreeland did do the build for me, although it's gone through a few changes since then. I've angled everything for maximum comfort to address wrist/hand discomfort that's developed over all these years of cycling. I also like never having to back down due to ride conditions like snow, roots, rocks, etc. Since I'm not a racer, I'm not too concerned about slight additions of weight if it helps me meet the above criteria.

Probably the best investment I made was in the wheels, the one place where I'm convinced that weight really does matter. The Nextie wheels with I9 fathubs make the bike pedal a lot easier than it appears, with quick engagement. I bought a 90mm wheelset, which I use with Bud & Lou tires during colder/snowy weather (to maximize grip and float), and I ride a 65mm wheelset on Jumbo Jim 4.8 snakeskin tires in the warmer weather (for a livelier feel without loss of "cush"). I've found that I can ride these wheels tubeless at extremely low pressures with no (Bud & Lou's) or almost imperceptable (JJ's) self-steer. This allows the tires to provide a noticeable amount of suspension, which I like.

I've also always had a suspension fork -- not necessary for snow riding and/or smooth hardpack, but, to me, a real benefit for rougher trails. My 1x10 drivetrain is setup to allow for about a 19 gear-inch low end -- so very low...I like the "help" during steep climbs and snow riding. I lose a little at the top end, but not being a racer, it's not really an issue for me. Also, I'm OK with a hardtail vs full suspension as I don't do big drops or kamikazi rocky downhills...at least not intentionally.:)

For a little older rider who especially values "cush" and a "go-anywhere/anytime" approach to riding, these might be some factors to consider.

Back
Top Bottom