seriously want a fatbike but I'm old school... what should I expect?

TheLonerider

Seriously looking at a fatbike. What should I expect in terms of riding, maintainence, etc? What weight should I shoot for when upgrading or tinkering? Good tires? Tubes? (not ready for tubeless though i've heard it cuts weight). I am used to old school i.e. 26" hardtails and singlespeeds.

Lonerider

They are just like skinny bikes except wider tires. Riding can be somewhat different. Tire pressure is more critical, a lb or 2 in either direction can make a real difference in how the bike rides. Too low and the bike will self steer and be sluggish, too high and it will be bouncy. But they have huge amount of traction and you can ride a lot more places than skinny bikes.

Maintenance is the same as skinny except you probably will break your OEM rear hub. Best upgrade is tubeless tireless on tubeless ready rims. Tubes are heavy and very bulky to carry when riding and a lot more work to fix a flat when riding. I have had huge thorns stab my tires, stans sealant spraying everywhere, just kept pedaling and it sealed up. With tubes, I would have been off the bike, changing tubes

Weight is going to be based on how much you want to spend. Best place to drop it is with new wheels

There are a couple schools of fat bikes imo. No suspension, over 4 inch tires and suspension with up to to 4 inch tires. Regardless what you pick, you need the the best tires you can get....now if you will excuse me, I have to go ride my fat bike, it's snowing!

Seriously looking at a fatbike. What should I expect in terms of riding, maintainence, etc? What weight should I shoot for when upgrading or tinkering? Good tires? Tubes? (not ready for tubeless though i've heard it cuts weight). I am used to old school i.e. 26" hardtails and singlespeeds.

Lonerider
Maintenance....none to minimal. Riding....fun, much more enjoyable on loose terrain like sand, snow or low traction dirt. Hard pack and rocks suck on fat bikes but you can make do. 4" tires are fine for everything from beach to snow. Too wide and too much float slows you down on sand but don't have an answer on snow. Knob style is key. pressure is key. There isn't really a gray line. It's either too much traction or too much bounce. Anything under 30b is enjoyable for a fat bike. Anything more and ascents suck. Tubeless is the only way to go for me. I have had two flats in three years on tubeless and one was on my skinny while the other was a 3/4" diameter stick went through the fat bike tire. People love the blot, I think it's too heavy. Some say it makes dirt riding a bit more enjoyable. Specialized ground controls are very durable, decent weight and last forever. They set up tubeless easy as well. Upgrade wheels, bars and post and be done with it. @jimvreeland will hook the Next's and I9s up.

They are just like skinny bikes except wider tires. Riding can be somewhat different. Tire pressure is more critical, a lb or 2 in either direction can make a real difference in how the bike rides. Too low and the bike will self steer and be sluggish, too high and it will be bouncy. But they have huge amount of traction and you can ride a lot more places than skinny bikes.

Maintenance is the same as skinny except you probably will break your OEM rear hub. Best upgrade is tubeless tireless on tubeless ready rims. Tubes are heavy and very bulky to carry when riding and a lot more work to fix a flat when riding. I have had huge thorns stab my tires, stans sealant spraying everywhere, just kept pedaling and it sealed up. With tubes, I would have been off the bike, changing tubes

Weight is going to be based on how much you want to spend. Best place to drop it is with new wheels
I had a small puncture during and out and back ride. No tool bag, stupid I know. Not that it would have helped me. Luckily, I was a half mile in and turned around in a panic. I asked the locals there if anyone knew how to fix a tubeless flat, they all laugh at me and said I was screwed. Anyway, not knowing how to repair it (as I was new to tubeless, even though I still couldn't imagine how to get that off the rim, cause lord knows I tried) I canceled my ride. Bought it to my local wrench and said, yup, u panicked. All u had to do was let the sealant do its job and add more air on u would have been on ur way.

Last edited:
weight, under 30, mine is around 38 and it's not always fun
if you want to ride it year round shoot for 26-7

Expect to have a shit ton of fun. Should've let me know while you were in the other day, we have a bunch of demos.

Definitely demo a fatty first. The wide Q factor can be an issue for some, it was for me. 200mm is the widest I can tolerate without hip pain. 183mm turned out to be perfect for me, but does limit my rim and tire choice.

Thanks for all the input! It'll be a bit fore i can afford it but wanted to learn first what to look for.

I will definately try one first,

btw if i really dig it can i get a set of traditional 26" rims on fat width hubs to swap so i can use it for both?

Lonerider

Expect to have a shit ton of fun. Should've let me know while you were in the other day, we have a bunch of demos.
It's partly your fault i saw how cool it was.
Partly the fault of those who blow past me on the trail like the speedsters in return of the jedi.
Lonerider

Lonerider

My friend, ur gonna ask 100 different people and get a 100 different answers. So here goes my looooooong winded reply, seeming I'm new to Fat Biking myself.

What u should expect is a blast and joyful ride. Buy what u can afford, but look to the future. Don't be a weight weenie or gear queer. People up here will still berate u for ur choices no matter what. LOL. No offense to anyone. Love u guys.

But here r some basic things to consider. What type of and where do u ride the most. Sand, snow, roots, rocks, etc.? Do u want full suspension or not? FS will add to ur maintenance cost/aggravation & weight. Weight is or was one of the primary issues with Fat Bikes back in the day. So factor that in. How much scratch r u willing to spend? (Carbon, aluminum or a combo) As Far as wheels I have 27.5's on my Farley 9.9. And they roll faster and over objects better. Grips, pedals, saddles, etc., all debatable.

The best bike is the one u enjoy.

Last edited:
[GALLERY=media, 1252]Talus650b8-27-16lewismorrisredswitchbacktrail by TheLonerider posted Mar 14, 2017 at 10:19 AM[/GALLERY]In the meantime... my 29er hardtail is running 650b, one of the few that does it well (heard from others that's hit or miss but works for me no pedal strike...or no more than usual lol) maybe ill put plus tires on it or near as i can get!

(all my other bikes are 26" and I'm short so I found 29 a bit much...and this thing needed a rebuild anyway at the time.)

Last edited:
Definitely demo a fatty first. The wide Q factor can be an issue for some, it was for me. 200mm is the widest I can tolerate without hip pain. 183mm turned out to be perfect for me, but does limit my rim and tire choice.
^this, I demo'd a Farley a few years back and was completely turned off by the self steer phenomenon. I learned later on its all about the tires and pressure.

^this, I demo'd a Farley a few years back and was completely turned off by the self steer phenomenon. I learned later on its all about the tires and pressure.

Word. This happened to me. Felt like it was pulling to the left at high speeds (ha ha). Just a tire pressure issue.

Brielle Cyclery has some nice selections to demo.
But demo the ride ur looking for. I "thought" I wanted the Farley EX 8 FS and was gonna purchase it sight unseen. I decided to rent one, and boy did I hate it! It almost killed Fat Bikes for me. Then I rode the EX 7, loved it upgraded to the 9.8, loved that even more, then finally settled in on the 9.9.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom