Sedona Recommendations?

I can recommend Thunder Mountain bikes for rentals:

Good selection, nice people. I would not recommend the place that I stayed at, though no reasonable person would book there anyway so I won't even mention what it was 😂

Thunder Mountain is a great place to rent from. It's right in the heart of everything.

You can also rent from the place in Oak Creek (Absolute Bikes) - they carry pivots.

We have stayed here both times:

Location is awesome. You can walk to Thunder Mountain from there. You can ride to pretty much all the trails from there. And you can walk to the various stores pretty much from there.

As for rides, bring it back up after you decide you're going.

Rentals: Thunder Mountain & Absolute Bikes are both good (rented from both). But as @Norm says, you can literally bike to the main trail network right from the Thunder Mountain's shop.
Trails: Plenty of options in the west Sedona area. You can easily string a loop together. Some of my faves in that area: Mescal, Aerie, Cockscomb, Outer Limits, Ledge n Airy, Last Frontier, Girdner, Chuck Wagon. But the trails considered "must do" are the 3 H's, i.e. Hi-Line, Hangover, & Hogs. These are double black and technical with some major exposure.
Lodging: I've stayed in several different places but it really comes down to the number of people & budget. Check Expedia & some of those other booking sites for deals. We got a 2 BDR suite (sleeps 6) with full kitchen & living room for ~$200/nite at one of the Hilton properties (granted it was December).

Rentals: Thunder Mountain & Absolute Bikes are both good (rented from both). But as @Norm says, you can literally bike to the main trail network right from the Thunder Mountain's shop.
Trails: Plenty of options in the west Sedona area. You can easily string a loop together. Some of my faves in that area: Mescal, Aerie, Cockscomb, Outer Limits, Ledge n Airy, Last Frontier, Girdner, Chuck Wagon. But the trails considered "must do" are the 3 H's, i.e. Hi-Line, Hangover, & Hogs. These are double black and technical with some major exposure.
Lodging: I've stayed in several different places but it really comes down to the number of people & budget. Check Expedia & some of those other booking sites for deals. We got a 2 BDR suite (sleeps 6) with full kitchen & living room for ~$200/nite at one of the Hilton properties (granted it was December).
This. The above route suggestion was my favorite ride there. Mescal, Aerie, Doe Mountain, Chuck Wagon was an awesome loop to string together. I started from the lot outside of the Enchantment resort.

Got time? Let’s go!
I might be going solo.
In (probably/maybe).
Oh I hope you change your mind at the last minute and decide to bring the kids @xc62701 Jim LOVES kids :)

Rent a side by side for a half day....was worth every penny
1704896414013.png

I will be there at the end of this month, I am probably going to do two days, one motorcycle and one fat bike. What trail/trails should I pedal on? Looking for scenery more than knar.

58A920B3-3AD8-4E61-A4C2-6702B30E8FA0.jpeg

What trail/trails should I pedal on? Looking for scenery more than knar.

Mescal should be part of your loop. Something like Chuck Wagon, Mescal, Aerie, then whatever to round you out.

This hits all that:

This is a slightly better loop but does not hit Chuck Wagon:

I would park in the spot in the second link, then ride the start of that, add Chuck Wagon to that loop, then follow it to the parking lot.

If you want to opt for 1 of the 3 Hs I would suggest Hiline. Hogs is a grade above that and Hangover is where people routinely hurt themselves because it's pretty exposed and high risk.

Our Hiline loop:

That is some solid scenery, but also more technical than the Mescal area. And while it's not a lot, there is definitely some gnar in the end of that Hiline loop.

Mescal should be part of your loop. Something like Chuck Wagon, Mescal, Aerie, then whatever to round you out.

This hits all that:

This is a slightly better loop but does not hit Chuck Wagon:

I would park in the spot in the second link, then ride the start of that, add Chuck Wagon to that loop, then follow it to the parking lot.

If you want to opt for 1 of the 3 Hs I would suggest Hiline. Hogs is a grade above that and Hangover is where people routinely hurt themselves because it's pretty exposed and high risk.

Our Hiline loop:

That is some solid scenery, but also more technical than the Mescal area. And while it's not a lot, there is definitely some gnar in the end of that Hiline loop.
Thank you sir!

- Bring your bike if you can? ( with the right bag and airline, it could be 30 bucks each way)
- Sedona is great-probably any part of it
- Flagstaff has some excellent higher elevation riding (April may have snow still)
- The Black Canyon City Trail to the south runs roughly 80 miles and in April will have some bonkers desert wildflowers

- Bring your bike if you can? ( with the right bag and airline, it could be 30 bucks each way)
- Sedona is great-probably any part of it
- Flagstaff has some excellent higher elevation riding (April may have snow still)
- The Black Canyon City Trail to the south runs roughly 80 miles and in April will have some bonkers desert wildflowers

I don’t know if I even want to bother with the hassle of bringing my bike. I kinda like the idea of beating the crap out of someone else’s bike and walking away.

Is a rental car required to enjoy Sedona?

It helps. You can take a shuttle from Phoenix which I believe Nagy has done.

Also keep in mind that eating out there sucks. Way expensive for average-to-bad food. You can drive to Cottonwood for better options. But you’ll want to be able to get to a food store.

I’m sure you can Uber as-needed though. Figure out the shuttle and go from there IMO.

Back
Top Bottom