Running With the Foghorn Leghorn

The Cincinnati area is actually pretty nice. There are some cool bridges along the Ohio River, the city itself is so-so but across the bridge is Kentucky. Its sounds like a hillbilly state but the Mainstrasse Village is located right across from Cinci is a nice area to walk around and eat.
Good beers and decent food at this place.
http://candbpublichouse.com/

This man speaks the truth - I worked in Cincinnati for a couple of months back in 2011 and stayed over in Covington/Newport KY. Mainstrasse was my go to for dinner/drinks and I'd also check out Newport. There area surprising number of decent restaurants and beer selections. Not too surprising is that you can find a number Bourbon Barrel Aged Beers in that area - and I'm a fan of that.

Just avoid the Waffle Houses - and the jury is still out for me on Skyline Chili (Chili on top of spaghetti amongst other peculiarities)

Honestly two weeks in the Cincinnati area is better than a lot of the alternatives in Ohio - it could be Toledo

Wait you don't have to go to Toledo do you?

i'll chime in here since i'm a subject matter expert as i've ridden DH exactly one time. nothing any us of rides at any local park compares to Creek. nada. it is a whole different world. "jumps" in the middle of the trails we ride are speed bumps there. it gives you an entirely different perspective on what is actually a jump. if you want to get comfortable in the air and vastly improve your XC bike handling skills and confidence, Creek is the place to go.

i'd just steer away from the wall rides...

money shot at 2:12

@bonefishjake that was probably the worst POV I have ever witnessed. The wall crash is funny as shit. Same wall took my foot and turned it backwards. Just ask @map111158. Something about the first one gives you the ok I got this. @Norm Stay Off the Walls!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Columbus, not Cincinnati. Columbus is way closer to Mohican but still about 1:15 from it. Not sure what I'll end up doing but going to WKRP in Cincinnati is not on the agenda.

Anyway, before we get there let's rewind to this morning. Fred (I won't bother tagging him) and I had this ride lined up and we text a bit and it actually managed to come together. We meet at the Hippo at 10:00 am then hit up Rockaway and climb Hell Mountain, which Fred says has a Facebook page but is 100% unremarkable. There is nothing indicating we have arrived. So we keep going and roll out the ride. I take him part of the way home into Readington where we see the Metlife Blimp taking off. Then I head for home.

On the way home one of the project leads I'm going to be working with calls me since I said I'd be home around noon. Well I'm riding up a hill and the phone rings. I could ignore it but whatever, I'll take the call. My new philosophy is "fuck it", I am what I am. I answer the phone and cars are buzzing by me. He asks if it is a bad time and I say no, I'm just on my bike and I sit on the side of the road and take the call. Incidentally, I end up sitting across from Max's driveway. Max rides with the Wheelmen and actually showed up to help with the cross race last year.

Turns out that I won't need to leave the race Sunday and drive 500 miles to Columbus. They want to punt it another week and only have me out there 3-5 days. This is obviously good for any number of reasons. We talk a bit more and I roll out the ride and go home. I end up with 3 hours and change again. I felt really good today. I think I could have knocked out a 100 miler. I did consider it but figured this whole race prep crap should get some attention.

Got home, showered, decided to go to lunch with D, then headed home and did race reg swaps & details for about an hour then wrapped up everything and gave RU the a-ok that the waivers are set. It's crazy how many swaps and refunds people have wanted for this one. This has been more than any other race we've done. I mean you always expect it but it's kinda surprising how many people have gotten hurt and want a refund this year. Thankfully the demand is greater than the supply so filling up was a non-issue.

Then @mandi & @pearl came and dropped off the numbers & arrows.

image.jpg

its on the other side of pa right? can't be that far apart - everything wedged in there before getting to cali....

columbus was a the anglo version of the name anyway...

Rockaway road is nice when it is hot out. lots of shade and the water....

i got nothin here.

#lamepost

I got to see this in columbus

2429_135373905012_843920_n.jpg

Steve McQueen's Husky 400 that he rode in "On any sunday"...After I saw that movie as a kid I became obsessed with dirt bikes.

I used to drive to ohio somewhat often...Usually with my old roommate who would sing the Ohio song over and over...."whats round on the ends and highhhhhhhhhhhh in the middle"

Please tell me Julia was standing on a soapbox. Is Mandi really that short? Is that a CASE of Allegra? Are you smoking it?

Please tell me Julia was standing on a soapbox. Is Mandi really that short? Is that a CASE of Allegra? Are you smoking it?

I think the appropriate question would be, "is Julia really that tall?" Because she is a child, and I am an adult.

I also noticed that I look 100 pounds heavier when someone takes a picture of me while laying on the couch.

Friday, July 17, 2015

I was talking with an old friend yesterday on PM and he was asking me how everything was going. I told him that everything was really good, which probably meant that lightning was going to strike at any moment. At around 3:30 am, we had a potential strike. Zac staggers into the room sounding like he has been possessed by the devil. He cannot breath well. He sounds like an ogre. His throat is throbbing. He is a mess. He vomits in the sink then lays on the bed. D asks him if he swallowed any pool water at camp and he says yes. She gets nervous, so they are off to the emergency room 10 minutes later.

In the end it turned out to be an allergic reaction to the chlorine in the pool, in the form of an asthma attack. They roll in around 7:30 as I am trying to get the other 2 out of the house. Eventually I get them up, fed, and to camp. Then I come home and Zac & D sleep for a while. D wakes up a bit after 9 and Zac sleeps almost until 12. He wakes up still wheezing a bit, but feeling better. He hangs out with us during the day, on & off on the iPad and such, At some point I try to cheer him up with a story about my Canal ride earlier in the week.

image.jpg

Most of the morning is me working out some of the final details of the race. When I look at the overall finances I decide that we have enough money to pay out a little better than in years past. Turnout has been solid so we have some leeway in what we can pay out. Unlike some other unnamed races, I like to pay out equal between the men & women. Overall we're going to payout $3000 across the open classes, both 10 deep, $500 to the winners of each class.

image.jpg

Eventually got out for a ride a bit before 1:00 and managed to get 2 hours in. First hour felt pretty good but then the ride turned into creamed crap. I used that expression yesterday when @UtahJoe asked me how I felt. Actually the first thing I said was that I felt like I had repeatedly fallen out of bed. I know I'm running on a semi-empty tank these days but today the tank went below E to true E. The last 30 minutes was a veritable walk home.

Got the kids and had crepes for dinner. I didn't mess around and went right for the jugular.

image.jpg

Now we are doing the binders. By "doing the binders" I mean I am sitting here eating Chex mix and D is doing the binders.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

A post-posting. Or, keeping the log up-to-date.

image.jpg

Wake up and get the car loaded to go to Stewart to mark the course. It's a kid's weekend so this is not easy. However, we have a plan. First part of the plan is that Julia is going to Seattle for the next week with her mother so I drop her off at 8:45 and hit the road to Boonton and the world-famous DD meetup.com location. The second part of the plan is that I am bringing a 9-year-old Zac with me to mark a 15 mile course the day after he was in the emergency room. This also expected from a kid who has biked about 8 miles max ever on a MTB in the flat south of NJ. What could go wrong?

So we meet up with @muddybike and @UtahJoe and we roll up to Stewart and meet @Schilling. This is it. 4 adults. 1 child. 15 miles. Initially we were going to make Zac a mule but we reassess and decide that Zac is going to carry some spare water and help with some logs and such, and Kris/Chris will be in charge of the mule duties of carrying arrows & tape. Utah & I have the staplers. We park in the middle of the park and are off on our journey of 1000 (or 15) miles.

So for those of you who have never marked a course with Utah, let me give you the general idea of how type A he can get. Imagine that God were with us marking the course, and we were at an intersection where there was a possible 1% of 1% chance someone might go down the wrong path.

God: I have ordained by the laws of the universe that nobody will go that way
Utah: Fuck that, hang more tape.

This is Utah Course Marking 101. In general, I agree with it. If there is any slight minuscule chance someone can get lost, they will. If there is no chance someone will get lost, they will. You have to make it deaf/dumb/blind proof as best you can. So this is what we do for roughly 15 miles.

About 20 staples in, Utah runs out of staples. And he has no more as my T-50s do not fit his stapler that is apparently about 35 years old. So we are down to 1 stapler which is me.

Around 2 miles in, Zac asks me when lunch is. This is a concern, as we have not even scratched the surface of this endeavor. I tell him basically not for a while and we're going to have to live on Gatorade and bike food for now. I do not even entertain the idea of how to bail him out yet, as I cannot leave the 3 of them out there with 13 miles to go. I encourage him to eat the blocks at every stop and I give up my bottle of gatorade so he has 2. For the most part, he seems a little tired but all in all he hangs in there.

We get to the mile 10 mark (we started around mile 5) and we go back to the car for supplies. By this time he has knocked off 2 full bottles of gatorade and 2 bags of blocks. Still I'm not ready to entertain escape options. I want to get to 1 hour before I start to think about it and we're not there yet. We fill up with water and are on our way.

Shortly after Utah & I realize we need to move faster. So we stop the chit chat and keep rolling. For the most part at this point we keep Zac moving with someone, one way or another. Sometimes he'll go ahead with Kris or stay behind with Chris or me. But we minimize his standing time and he does better this way. The not moving seems to drain him more, and the moving works better, even if it does tire him out more. We bang out the next 5 and are at the end of the course much faster than the first 5. At this point, however, Zac looks like a baked eggplant.

We decide it is time to go plaid at this point and we have Zac & Chris stick to the road and hop from section to section for the next 2.5 miles or so. So he gets to rest and Utah, Kris, and I just smash out this part of the course as fast as possible. We all dive into the woods at the end of Bear because I want him to ride Camp at the end. That's the super fun stuff and I want him to enjoy the best trails the park has to offer. We ride together for a bit but when the 3 of us go to Sara's Way, Zac & Chris head directly to Camp then to the car. Many thanks to @Schilling for helping tremendously on this one.

We start at 11, end at 4. We get changed and loaded up and go straight to the pizza place where we decimate $50 of pizza in minutes. The 5 of us get like 7 drinks, 8 slices, and a sandwich. Chris then heads to camp and the 4 of us head to DD to decouple and go our own ways.

I get home and my parents are there. About 3 hours after lunch we eat dinner. Then I start to re-pack the car to drive right back up to Stewart. We shower, put the boys to bed, then get in the car around 10:00 for another long drive up there. We meet up with @Schilling, @gtluke, @mattybfat, and @soundz at the Darkhorse Campgrounds. At this point @Robin & @pedals are asleep, @capedoc is going to bed, and the kids are in the tent.

I Hulk Smash 2 beers while D gobbles up some salt & vinegar chips that Chris gave her. I sit 40 feet from the most useless fire ever (200 degrees outside) and get bitten 98 times then we go to bed shortly after midnight.

image.jpg

Classic - I need a nap after envisioning myself in your shoes this past week / weekend.

I know I've commended you guys on FB and in my latest installment and I'll do it again... The event was Excellent and I'm glad it all came together. Your team is solid!

After looking through the results and reading @pearl race recap, I researched the top 5 open men finishers... This event brought some significant names out to compete. That says a lot about the MTBNJ reputation.

:thumbsup:

Saturday, July 18, 2015

A post-posting. Or, keeping the log up-to-date.

View attachment 23986

Wake up and get the car loaded to go to Stewart to mark the course. It's a kid's weekend so this is not easy. However, we have a plan. First part of the plan is that Julia is going to Seattle for the next week with her mother so I drop her off at 8:45 and hit the road to Boonton and the world-famous DD meetup.com location. The second part of the plan is that I am bringing a 9-year-old Zac with me to mark a 15 mile course the day after he was in the emergency room. This also expected from a kid who has biked about 8 miles max ever on a MTB in the flat south of NJ. What could go wrong?

So we meet up with @muddybike and @UtahJoe and we roll up to Stewart and meet @Schilling. This is it. 4 adults. 1 child. 15 miles. Initially we were going to make Zac a mule but we reassess and decide that Zac is going to carry some spare water and help with some logs and such, and Kris/Chris will be in charge of the mule duties of carrying arrows & tape. Utah & I have the staplers. We park in the middle of the park and are off on our journey of 1000 (or 15) miles.

So for those of you who have never marked a course with Utah, let me give you the general idea of how type A he can get. Imagine that God were with us marking the course, and we were at an intersection where there was a possible 1% of 1% chance someone might go down the wrong path.

God: I have ordained by the laws of the universe that nobody will go that way
Utah: Fuck that, hang more tape.

This is Utah Course Marking 101. In general, I agree with it. If there is any slight minuscule chance someone can get lost, they will. If there is no chance someone will get lost, they will. You have to make it deaf/dumb/blind proof as best you can. So this is what we do for roughly 15 miles.

About 20 staples in, Utah runs out of staples. And he has no more as my T-50s do not fit his stapler that is apparently about 35 years old. So we are down to 1 stapler which is me.

Around 2 miles in, Zac asks me when lunch is. This is a concern, as we have not even scratched the surface of this endeavor. I tell him basically not for a while and we're going to have to live on Gatorade and bike food for now. I do not even entertain the idea of how to bail him out yet, as I cannot leave the 3 of them out there with 13 miles to go. I encourage him to eat the blocks at every stop and I give up my bottle of gatorade so he has 2. For the most part, he seems a little tired but all in all he hangs in there.

We get to the mile 10 mark (we started around mile 5) and we go back to the car for supplies. By this time he has knocked off 2 full bottles of gatorade and 2 bags of blocks. Still I'm not ready to entertain escape options. I want to get to 1 hour before I start to think about it and we're not there yet. We fill up with water and are on our way.

Shortly after Utah & I realize we need to move faster. So we stop the chit chat and keep rolling. For the most part at this point we keep Zac moving with someone, one way or another. Sometimes he'll go ahead with Kris or stay behind with Chris or me. But we minimize his standing time and he does better this way. The not moving seems to drain him more, and the moving works better, even if it does tire him out more. We bang out the next 5 and are at the end of the course much faster than the first 5. At this point, however, Zac looks like a baked eggplant.

We decide it is time to go plaid at this point and we have Zac & Chris stick to the road and hop from section to section for the next 2.5 miles or so. So he gets to rest and Utah, Kris, and I just smash out this part of the course as fast as possible. We all dive into the woods at the end of Bear because I want him to ride Camp at the end. That's the super fun stuff and I want him to enjoy the best trails the park has to offer. We ride together for a bit but when the 3 of us go to Sara's Way, Zac & Chris head directly to Camp then to the car. Many thanks to @Schilling for helping tremendously on this one.

We start at 11, end at 4. We get changed and loaded up and go straight to the pizza place where we decimate $50 of pizza in minutes. The 5 of us get like 7 drinks, 8 slices, and a sandwich. Chris then heads to camp and the 4 of us head to DD to decouple and go our own ways.

I get home and my parents are there. About 3 hours after lunch we eat dinner. Then I start to re-pack the car to drive right back up to Stewart. We shower, put the boys to bed, then get in the car around 10:00 for another long drive up there. We meet up with @Schilling, @gtluke, @mattybfat, and @soundz at the Darkhorse Campgrounds. At this point @Robin & @pedals are asleep, @capedoc is going to bed, and the kids are in the tent.

I Hulk Smash 2 beers while D gobbles up some salt & vinegar chips that Chris gave her. I sit 40 feet from the most useless fire ever (200 degrees outside) and get bitten 98 times then we go to bed shortly after midnight.

View attachment 23985

The kids a trooper.:thumbsup:

Apparently, too many markings is the perfect number for my navigational skill set.:rolleyes:

Even with all that, I STILL came in too hot (poor choice of words) and blew the hard right turn at the end of the rock filled mud hole intersection. o_O

Back
Top Bottom