Rumble in the Jungle 2014

I'm glad there is no h2h points associated with this race- I'm terrible with rocks lol

I'm with you on being terrible at rocks.

But are there really no points? Where's it say which h2h races have points and which don't?

I think clydesdale, open outlaw, and fat bikes don't have series points, but everything else does.

I'm faster on my fatbike in difficult rock sections and loose conditions.

Is it against the rules to ride the fatty in cat-2 group for points?

Miscellaneous answers to questions -

JimN is right, no series points for Clydesdale, Open Outlaw or Fat Bikes - everyone else is all in for H2H series points!

We don't have an exact distance GPS'd for the Cat. 3 lap yet, but from an earlier ride on it with our crappy phone GPS, it should be just under 3 miles, making the Cat. 3 race just under 6 miles in total. Roughly.

You can ride a singlespeed or fat bike in any class you are age eligible to ride in. A few years ago we had a singlespeeder do the whole series in the Pro/Open class - and he was awesome!

Course will be mostly marked Friday night (weather depending), finishing Sat. a.m. Arrows at critical intersections are going up all week as we ride around the course prepping, so there is some direction there already. Lots of the trails have been de-leafed (de-leaved? leaf-blown? ) and there have been a number of people riding it, so you should get a pretty good sense of the course already if you go up to ride it.

As for the rocks - well, they don't call us the Rock Garden State for nothin', right? They're there, we love 'em, the whole "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" thing applies here. Welcome to the Jungle .

Last edited:
rare opportunity to race jungle and shoot over mountain creek and race downhill just like the golden days though now you need more then one bike :D Hell make it a triple play and do the super D on saturday. Wish i was younger with no responsibilities sometimes...

Rode the cat 2 course this afternoon. Rocky (thats why they call it mountain biking and not smooth groomed trail biking ;) and technical, but with some good flow. If you run real wide bars chop em down!

Hey, my wife wants to come spectate the race if the weather is good. Whats a good spot near the lot for her to watch

The finish line is adjacent to the parking lot, that is a good spot to watch racers come in. Once you pull into the parking lot you will get a feel for the layout.

How technical is the Cat3 Loop? My 10-Year old son wants to race but I'm not sure if he'll be ok on the Jungle Habitat course that I'm familiar with...

-Jim.

Rode the cat 2 course this afternoon. Rocky (thats why they call it mountain biking and not smooth groomed trail biking ;) and technical, but with some good flow.

Define rocky? Rocks here and there throughout the course? Or occasional (nonstop?) patches of hard-core rock gardens? The doable kind, or hike-a-bike?

Define rocky? Rocks here and there throughout the course? Or occasional (nonstop?) patches of hard-core rock gardens? The doable kind, or hike-a-bike?

Um, I would say it's pretty rocky. It's pretty much personal opinion/riding level on what's "rideable" or not. There will be some who can ride everything and some who can't.

There is a video by Manny at the bottom of our wiki trail page - while some of the footage/trails shown aren't in the race, you can see some of the park.

http://www.mtbnj.com/w/index.php?title=Jungle_Habitat

How technical is the Cat3 Loop? My 10-Year old son wants to race but I'm not sure if he'll be ok on the Jungle Habitat course that I'm familiar with...

-Jim.

Cat 3 is a lot less technical then the other loops. There will be a few logs to go over and a couple of rocky streams to go through. One of which he may choose to walk. Most of the loop will be in a section of Warthog that is very ride-able. There will be rocks to go over, but the difficult rock gardens he will avoid. My 11 year old does fine on the trail.

Hey, my wife wants to come spectate the race if the weather is good. Whats a good spot near the lot for her to watch

Lots of good places close to the lot to watch - easy to walk in by the kids course to see just after the start, and the racing also comes through the parking lot each lap, and as stated, start and finish are in the lot.

Going to preride tomorrow morning. Anyone going to be out there?

GPS courses yet?

We've got someone leading a pre-ride today at 5:30 for the Cat. 1/2 lap crowd - light rain ok, but heavy rain will cancel. Rough GPS link for Cat. 1/2 is
here - http://connect.garmin.com/course/6586549 - unfortunately our favorite GPS rider forgot to stop his Garmin between laps, so Cat. 1 and Cat. 2 lap are one big file (one right after the other) - but it should give you the basic ideas.

-Jim.

Jim - take a look at the Cat. 3 course map - it's much less technical than the rest of Jungle, and it's 2 shorter laps rather than one big lap (just under 3 miles per lap), so if he decides it's not for him, he can jump out at the parking lot after one lap. We'll have course marshals out there too, and a sweep, so he'll be well covered!

Awesome, thanks for all the info and the maps!

I don't think I can get out from Manhattan for the 10:30 pre-ride - anyone interested in some gas money and grub/beer coming from NYC and willing to pick me up either in the city or at any NJ Transit or PATH stop? Or, anyone going to be out later (1:30ish) to pre-ride the Cat 3?

I would say no need to come all the way out from nyc just to preride such a weeny 5 mile lap.the jungle race always seems to have. I dont get why ttc makes it so easy and short....popcorn: Why is it always so easy when the place has such gnarly shiz? Lame...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom