Round Valley Conditions

Anyone know how close the mtb trails get to the campsites? I was thinking RV might be good bikepacking spot, although I’ve only kayaked there so have little intel.

Anyone know how close the mtb trails get to the campsites? I was thinking RV might be good bikepacking spot, although I’ve only kayaked there so have little intel.

there are a number of trails that lead down to the campsites - and the campsite road.
they might be separated by more vertical distance than horizontal in some places!
It might be fun to ride out the campsites, unload, do a loop, then hang out for the evening. the rangers do patrol in the car.

if you want some detail that you can't find - i'll mark up a map.

there are a number of trails that lead down to the campsites - and the campsite road.
they might be separated by more vertical distance than horizontal in some places!
It might be fun to ride out the campsites, unload, do a loop, then hang out for the evening. the rangers do patrol in the car.

if you want some detail that you can't find - i'll mark up a map.
Thanks. I’m hoping to camp there this spring so I’ll have a better idea of the terrain. I’ve heard there is a lot of climbing there, which is surprising since it looks fairly mild when you’re on the reservoir.

Thanks. I’m hoping to camp there this spring so I’ll have a better idea of the terrain. I’ve heard there is a lot of climbing there, which is surprising since it looks fairly mild when you’re on the reservoir.

the campground road is reasonable - it is right along the waterline - getting to it is something else.
take a look at the topo map - the trail crosses near the road below the south damn. about 300' climb to the split for the campgrounds.
the trails follow the ridge in most parts. It is a workout.
I'd be glad to take you on a preview.

Know this isn't a priority right now, but large tree down across trail on east side of Puke Hill (would be descent if started at main gate). Also small trees down in reroute area near dam and another closer to pay phone.

Thorn bushes starting to reach into trails but otherwise great condition and quiet on trails.

Anyone been by round valley recently? The boat launch is supposedly closed via parks website, but not sure if that includes the kayak launch as well? Want to bring the kayak down but it’s a long drive to find out it’s closed.

Anyone been by round valley recently? The boat launch is supposedly closed via parks website, but not sure if that includes the kayak launch as well? Want to bring the kayak down but it’s a long drive to find out it’s closed.

i'm going to drive by in the next hour - will post up.

Went for the traditional August 1st TM ride on the Eagle trail - it is clear of logs end-to-end. Not too bad.

The rose whips are brutal this year - so that needs to get done.

What i did notice is that it is more worn in than it has ever been. Plenty of hikers, and people going swimming.
1 MTBs couple - i can't believe what they just came down. She wasn't happy.

It would be nice if the hikers threw the sticks off the trail.

The ridge trail from northern 4 way to the fence needs some attention - it is a nice section - hard to get to.
could use a couple of switchbacks at the fence line.

I was there a few days ago and a few sections of the Cushetunk trail were so overgrown with prickers it was almost unrideable. Otherwise in decent shape though.

I would also like to report that there is toilet paper in the bathroom at the end of the campground road.

We cover all the necessities here.

Cushetunk trail (red) between the campground cut-off and the back gate (pay phone)

One large tree across the trail - easy to see.
One medium at head height in the overgrown area. Not as easy to see

The overgrown area is very overgrown (near the spot where the homeowner has a private trail)

puke hill is still there. carry on.
see ya all there wednesday after the rain.

Couple more trees down on Cushetunk/red between the phone booth an the top of puke.

Will try to get out there to take care of them..

The Cushetunk Trail (red) from the Eagle Trail intersection to the Campground Road Intersection is Clear.

I took out that stupid log at the start of the climb from reverse coaster.
dumbest log over ever. dirt piling against the uphill side and the only wet spot in RV,
low side getting washed away because of the waterfall.
#dumbingdownforthebetter

1598223096429.png

yeah, i cleared it after this cut - love when a plan comes together like this.
At the overgrown area near the private entrance from the home.
1598223143859.png

A floater!
1598223173948.png

Cut and roll worked!
1598223186423.png

Top of the red climb after coaster, near the Cush connector split.

1598223205207.png

Probably 5 more - and a bunch that i dragged off, rather than walk/ride around.
I'm toast!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions