Roadie Tips To Stay Alive...

It's really awkward while riding through Morristown waiting at a light in traffic (cars ahead and behind me) on my bike when a couple roadies proceed to do exactly as you describe.

I'm really surprised there isn't a road biker dead every week in this town due to their bad riding. I'm even more surprised there doesn't seem to be a large amount of doorings.

So I drove my wife to visit her friend in Mt Hope area today. We saw 6 adult rode bicyclists in our half hour ride.
3 were in a group, the other were riding alone.

6 of them had no lights on either front or rear. (I know, it's daytime)
5 of them weren't wearing helmets!
5 of them were riding on the wrong side of the road, as in coming at us.
1 of them was seen riding the wrong side without a helmet, by the state trooper driving in front of me.
Someday there will probably be a test to ride a bicycle, and a permit, to eliminate the lowest common denominator.

So I drove my wife to visit her friend in Mt Hope area today. We saw 6 adult rode bicyclists in our half hour ride.
3 were in a group, the other were riding alone.

6 of them had no lights on either front or rear. (I know, it's daytime)
5 of them weren't wearing helmets!
5 of them were riding on the wrong side of the road, as in coming at us.
1 of them was seen riding the wrong side without a helmet, by the state trooper driving in front of me.
Someday there will probably be a test to ride a bicycle, and a permit, to eliminate the lowest common denominator.

Were they "road cyclists" (ie, well-equipped enthusiasts) or were they just people on bikes? I see WAY more people who clearly are riding to their low-wage jobs on bikes than I see enthusiasts. No helmets, no lights at night, salmoning, on sidewalks with pedestrians, etc etc ...

Reactions: rlb
1 well equipped enthusiast riding on the correct side of the road and 5 just people. It just seems if people are investing in a bicycle and riding it anywhere, they would learn SOME basic rules before getting out there.

First off, thx to bikenben for starting this thread. Very helpful to a road newbie (just picked up a road bike to complement my mtb riding). For anyone catching up I thought I would re-post a very informative link that was posted quite some time ago

http://bicyclesafe.com/

I also wanted to comment on the topic of thanking motorists that are courteous to cyclists even if they are just doing what they should be doing. (Yes, even coming to a full stop at a stop sign as I'm crossing their path). To me, that thank you or positive acknowledgment goes a long way. All too often we come across people that are do self-absorbed and, as it relates to cyclists, truly ignorant. To me, it is so much better to wave thank you or give a thumbs up throughout a ride.

On a final note, for those that are interested, HBO Real Sports is airing an episode this week of the tension between motorists and cyclists. Very interesting to hear how Copenhagen has evolved to embrace cycling.

So I just watched the HBO thing over by breakfast. They put up Copenhagen as the model for the world...but I can't get over the video footage from there shows nearly no one wearing a helmet. Smart enough to build dedicated bike travel lane, bridges and lights, but don't require helmets? so close, yet so far....

So I just watched the HBO thing over by breakfast. They put up Copenhagen as the model for the world...but I can't get over the video footage from there shows nearly no one wearing a helmet. Smart enough to build dedicated bike travel lane, bridges and lights, but don't require helmets? so close, yet so far....
Being smart and wearing a helmet is different than requiring one. We don't need anymore laws to tells us what to do. Denmark got it right.

Being smart and wearing a helmet is different than requiring one. We don't need anymore laws to tells us what to do. Denmark got it right.

I disagree. Idiots who don't wear helmets and suffer severe injury because of that effect all of us. I was amazed to see so many motorcyclists in NE without helmets - same goes for them.

so i'm tooling along through the hamlet of south branch, and i come up on a touring group that has gotten strung out over a half mile or so.
Kinda up there in age, even older than me or rick....then this one guy stops, no shoulder on either side of the road, on the inside of a blind curve.
i'm thinking mechanical, and i'm 100 yds back - put on my hazards.

The guy, and his riding pal start discussing the cue sheet. in the road. i mean they are totally ignoring everything around them, and looking at
this aaron sized sheet hooked to his handlebars.

another 100 yards up the road, in full view is a church with a parking lot. in plain sight.

i left them for darwin to sort it out. Mostly cause i couldn't figure out how to make it better without making it worse....

meanwhile, the rest of the group is making their turns, and leaving quite a few behind. Older F on a recumbent dismounts on a bridge with almost no shoulder, and starts
walking her bike across the road to ride/walk back to find the dropped riders. at least she had her water skier in tow flag.....

I disagree. Idiots who don't wear helmets and suffer severe injury because of that effect all of us. I was amazed to see so many motorcyclists in NE without helmets - same goes for them.
Maybe the government should just restrict from riding bikes because we can get hurt on them. Maybe running too, because you can get hurt while you run. Riding is dangerous, really dangerous, as serious cyclists we assume these risks. If you aren't comfortable assuming the risk, then don't ride.

Maybe the government should just restrict from riding bikes because we can get hurt on them. Maybe running too, because you can get hurt while you run. Riding is dangerous, really dangerous, as serious cyclists we assume these risks. If you aren't comfortable assuming the risk, then don't ride.

That's ridiculous. Driving is dangerous too, but laws are in place (like mandatory airbags) that make it safer. Same principle.

That's ridiculous. Driving is dangerous too, but laws are in place (like mandatory airbags) that make it safer. Same principle.
I agree, running with safety gear is ridiculous.

For serious, it isn't the same principal. The same principal is mandatory items on a bike itself to help you not get hurt, like a handlebar airbag. But People get killed by airbags coming out to quickly, maybe we should wear helmets to drive too?

my point of view is just that I don't think we need anyone telling us you need to this to be safe and make a law of it. we (that includes you, Rick) can make our own decisions on how to be safe. Who cares if the other guy doesn't want to wear a helmet on the road, he made the decision not to and will have to live with the consequences.

Thing is, I don't want to have to pay for the idiots that get hurt and have a huge bill they can't pay, or are on life support that they can't pay for. I don't mean I pay directly, but through higher taxes, or insurance premiums, or hospital rates.

Thing is, I don't want to have to pay for the idiots that get hurt and have a huge bill they can't pay, or are on life support that they can't pay for. I don't mean I pay directly, but through higher taxes, or insurance premiums, or hospital rates.

This. Which is why I also believe cigarettes should be banned.

Yeah, but the uninsured cyclist that has a head injury resulting from not wearing a helmet that was hurt at their own fault (or even at someone elses fault) demographic is almost non-existent, and is completely dwarfed by uninsured anyone else that is receiving medical care. A helmet law doesn't change that and will result in higher taxes due to every police department in the state to have to spend time enforcing said law, the courts to process it, the DA's to defend it, money to put up signs, educational materiel, etc.... If anything, a helmet law cost us more than the 2 uninsured people who make a claim each year for a concussion.

Help- I've started a bad habit, over the past 2 months I've noticed when I look over my left shoulder to see when it's clear, as I'm looking I've been swaying in that direction further into the car path. I'm not joking or fooling around. It's like a nasty habit I'm trying to break but I'm having trouble with it. And now I know it's an issue it has gotten worse. I refuse to but one of those mirrors. Any advice? I'm serious, it's scary and it sucks. Any help? I think it's from my bmx days, "look where you want to go" while doing a 180. Either way I need advice on this one.

Help- I've started a bad habit, over the past 2 months I've noticed when I look over my left shoulder to see when it's clear, as I'm looking I've been swaying in that direction further into the car path. I'm not joking or fooling around. It's like a nasty habit I'm trying to break but I'm having trouble with it. And now I know it's an issue it has gotten worse. I refuse to but one of those mirrors. Any advice? I'm serious, it's scary and it sucks. Any help? I think it's from my bmx days, "look where you want to go" while doing a 180. Either way I need advice on this one.

If you're rich you could have a rear view camera with a small screen mounted in front. Ha!

You might want to try keeping your head down more when you look back.
I find that if I keep my chin almost touching my chest or shoulder as I look back, my shoulders stay straight and square to the bike.
If I lift my chin too much, my shoulders turn when I look back, then the bike follows my shoulders.
Turn your head, not your shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom