Roadie Tips To Stay Alive...

Good stuff, I fear this one the most while riding through princeton boro but the text made me laugh.

A driver opens his door right in front of you. You run right into it if you can't stop in time. If you're lucky, the motorist will exit the car before you hit the door, so you'll at least have the pleasure of smashing them too when you crash, and their soft flesh will cushion your impact.

Good stuff, I fear this one the most while riding through princeton boro but the text made me laugh.

A driver opens his door right in front of you. You run right into it if you can't stop in time. If you're lucky, the motorist will exit the car before you hit the door, so you'll at least have the pleasure of smashing them too when you crash, and their soft flesh will cushion your impact.

A hint to avoid the above is....

When riding near parked cars pay attention to the the rearview mirrors this will greatly reduce the chance of you blindly smacking into a door..

got *right hooked* in perth amboy today on the way to work...by none other then the elderly...i looked ahead saw 2 cars with blinkers on...so i pointed to let drivers behind me that may be planning to take that turn that i was going straight...got along side of *the old car* and out of the blue they turn...they didnt have a blinker on at all so i assumed i was safe...but i had it in the back of my mind that there was a good chance they were gonna turn...so no harm no foul...i guess but man you have to be on your toes while on the road...on the way home at 2am no problems...no cars...ahahahahah...

you have to be on your toes while on the road.

If the car is ahead of you and you suspect they may turn right...move to the left behind the vehicle. If they suddenly turn to the right you will be in a better position to go around to the left.

Do not ride alongside a vehicle at the same speed. Either take the lane ahead so they can see you or stay behind so you can see everything.

When approaching a right turn or driveway that I think could be an issue, I will move to the left to discourage someone from trying to speed up, go around, and hook me.

I often find it funny when a car gets just ahead of me then signals a right turn. They may start looking for me and can't find me. It's because I've gone around them to the left. They look at me as I go by as if I'm a magician.

If the car is ahead of you and you suspect they may turn right...move to the left behind the vehicle. If they suddenly turn to the right you will be in a better position to go around to the left.

Do not ride alongside a vehicle at the same speed. Either take the lane ahead so they can see you or stay behind so you can see everything.

When approaching a right turn or driveway that I think could be an issue, I will move to the left to discourage someone from trying to speed up, go around, and hook me.

I often find it funny when a car gets just ahead of me then signals a right turn. They may start looking for me and can't find me. It's because I've gone around them to the left. They look at me as I go by as if I'm a magician.
thank you...every little bit helps man...this thread is a keeper

Know your rights (and know that no one cares)

On the road you can pretty much go with the idea that no one sees you and that you have no rights.

Here is the issue:

Most people have no concept of how fast we go on bikes.

They see a person and figure that they are moving at person type speeds. NOT car type speeds.

I get cut off, beeped at, cursed at, given dirty looks, Middle fingered..etc DAILY!.

We as cyclists legally have every right to be out on the road but for some reason that was never made clear in drivers ED.

Ride like no one sees you and you will be better for it.

I had an incident a week ago where I punched a rear view mirror off a car because I was getting boxed out by a car. The police were called and when they arrived they scolded the driver. I was lucky that I wasn't hurt. They were lucky I don't carry a pistol.

Ride Sunday morning at 6 or 7 a.m. Ok, not practical for those wanting to road ride several times a week, but it's so nice out on the road at that hour. Less cars = less a-holes. They are still out there, but in a lower concentration.

Ride Sunday morning at 6 or 7 a.m.

6 or 7??? That's late!!! ;)

Allright, I guess it's not late but I agree that the earlier the better. While my riding area is mostly pleasant at any time, it is great to get out into the boonies before people are even out of bed.

Getting out really early also helps to keep the family happy. Last summer I did a few centuries but was still home at noon. Kinda cool to ride 100 miles and still have lunch at home with the kids. ;)

Just to keep the thread on topic...

Here is another common occurrence that can cause issues. You are approaching an intersection that is controlled with a traffic light. There are cars ahead of you waiting at the light as you approach. What to do???

Since every intersection is different, lets set some ground rules. This intersection has just one lane of traffic in each direction. There are no turn lanes. There is enough room along the curb/road edge for you to ride next to vehicles.

Here is what I prefer. Ride up along the right side until you reach the intersection. Pull slightly ahead of the first car so that the driver of that vehicle can see you through the windshield. This has two important benefits. You now have full view of the entire intersection. Everyone in the intersection can now see you.

There are also some exceptions.
1. If you can't make it to the front before the light turns green...take the lane behind a waiting car. If you end up along side a car turning right they will not see you and you get the old Right Hook.
2. The cars waiting at the light ahead of you may have just passed you before arriving at the intersection. On a very narrow road, they may have had to slow or wait to pass you. They may find it very annoying to have to do that all over again because you leap-frogged to the front at the intersection. Be courteous. If it's only a couple cars and the road is tight, just wait in line.

Disclaimer: As I mentioned, every intersection is different. This is my general rule of thumb. It does not work for some circumstances. Some may find this to be too aggressive and they prefer to just wait in line. I often travel during rush hours and that line of cars could be hundreds of feet long. I'm not waiting through multiple cycles of the traffic light if I can avoid it.

Picture to help describe what I am talking about:
roadietip.jpg

Do any of you guys use that "roadie ID" thing that was on here some time ago? I think it was just some sort of wristband with all your info on it in case of emergency.

How to deal with turn lanes? My best advice is to act like a car. Use the lanes. Here's another intersection. This one has three lanes. Left turn, straight, and right turn.

roadietip2.jpg

The green rectangles represent the cyclist. If making a left use path #1. If making a right..well that one is easy (#3). Going straight could cause issues. I say put yourself in the right side of the straight lane (#2). This will make it clear which way you intend to go. It also allows vehicles turning right to do so while the light is red.

This can get sketchy at a busy intersection or where cars are moving really fast. Use proper turn signals and let everyone know where you intend to go. If you look/act like an idiot...you will be treated that way.

A lot of really good points are made here. One thing I tend to do a lot of is hold my hand up in the direction of people driving even if it seems obvious that they see me and I always change my hand wave to a thumbs up gesture as I pass them. It seems like a simple thing but I really feel people like some positive reinforcement that they did a good thing that I appreciate.

A lot of really good points are made here. One thing I tend to do a lot of is hold my hand up in the direction of people driving even if it seems obvious that they see me and I always change my hand wave to a thumbs up gesture as I pass them. It seems like a simple thing but I really feel people like some positive reinforcement that they did a good thing that I appreciate.

I agree about the positive reinforcement. I always wave to people that appear to wait longer that I would expect, or drive very cautiously behind me, waiting to pass. I want them to know I appreciate their cautiousness so that they will continue to be that way instead of thinking "that biker didn't give a shit, so I am not going to do that anymore." I have ridden with some people that get mad when a car drives slowly behind and doesn't pass right away, but I would rather that than have some a-hole whizzing by and running me off the road.

I don't know what you guys think about this, but I generally think drivers don't know basic turn signals that we use on a bike. I often point in the direction I am going (left arm way out to signal left, right arm to signal right), thinking it makes it easier for them to figure out. Am I totally unsafe or does anyone agree?

I don't know what you guys think about this, but I generally think drivers don't know basic turn signals that we use on a bike. I often point in the direction I am going (left arm way out to signal left, right arm to signal right), thinking it makes it easier for them to figure out. Am I totally unsafe or does anyone agree?

I tend to point also and try to make eye contact for making a left turn. Right turns I usually don't signal.

riding in a group..

may seem obvious but when riding with a group if you loose something off your bike i.e water bottle pump etc. do not just slam on the brakes alert the group that you're slowing down first and then pull off the road when it's safe. I've seen too many people pile up because the first reaction is to just stop.

Do any of you guys use that "roadie ID" thing that was on here some time ago? I think it was just some sort of wristband with all your info on it in case of emergency.

I've got one as I ride alone a lot after work - the one with the online information as my "who to contact" changes on a regular basis being the singleton that I am.

Right now it just asks the Emergency guys to contact my dog's boarding kennel to ask them to come and pick him up and take care of him until I can walk again. If I get splattered across the road then my 401k, life insurance, and huge fortune that I've amassed are up for grabs - please apply within. Certain restrictions apply. Not valid in every state. Oh, and burn me, don't bury me.

Back
Top Bottom