Riding in the Carribean or Cancun

Ride On

My wife is planning a vacation for Spring Break with the family. We are thinking somewhere in the Carribean or Cancun...and I'd love to be able to sneak out for a day for a a ride. Could anyone recommend an Island that has things to do with kids for week while a guy (thats me) could get 1 or 2 days of epic riding in?

I wouldn't my doing a guided ride. I'd probably rent a bike. I also have a slight fear :scared: of getting kidnapped in Mexico and having my thumbs cut off for ransom...(I know...I've probably watch Dateline two much). Likewise I wouldn't want to get caught riding across someonese secret drug crop.:hmmm:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

My wife is planning a vacation for Spring Break with the family. We are thinking somewhere in the Carribean or Cancun...and I'd love to be able to sneak out for a day for a a ride. Could anyone recommend an Island that has things to do with kids for week while a guy (thats me) could get 1 or 2 days of epic riding in?

I wouldn't my doing a guided ride. I'd probably rent a bike. I also have a slight fear :scared: of getting kidnapped in Mexico and having my thumbs cut off for ransom...(I know...I've probably watch Dateline two much). Likewise I wouldn't want to get caught riding across someonese secret drug crop.:hmmm:

I've been to quite a few of the Caribbean Islands scuba diving. Riding a bike in Cancun would scare me, even if you got off the island of Cancun I don't recall the roads having shoulders for riding.
RC ...

I would think twice about even going to Mexico, let alone ride a bike there!!
I think now they cut off heads there, not thumbs.

Im from Mexico and even I dont want to go down there :scared:

But all murders aside, the beach resorts would be the safest places to be in Mexico, with Acapulco being the only exception. Now as far as riding the bike in remote places, I would avoid that.

Puerto Rico is great. Lots of elevation, and polite drivers. You can find lots of stuff to do with the family.

Im from Mexico and even I dont want to go down there :scared:

But all murders aside, the beach resorts would be the safest places to be in Mexico, with Acapulco being the only exception. Now as far as riding the bike in remote places, I would avoid that.

I've been in Mexico for 5 weeks crossing from Guatemala up all the way north to Tijuana with my wife in our trip to SA .(1997)
We did it as" muchileros" sleeping in cheap hotels (8$ a night ) and traveling by buses .
beside keeping your stuff, and avoid walking late in the night (same we do here in the US ) , we felt very safe and had good time in Mexico - including in playa del carmen area .

is the situation in mexico turn to be that bad since we have been there ?!:cry:

I've been in Mexico for 5 weeks crossing from Guatemala up all the way north to Tijuana with my wife in our trip to SA .(1997)
We did it as" muchileros" sleeping in cheap hotels (8$ a night ) and traveling by buses .
beside keeping your stuff, and avoid walking late in the night (same we do here in the US ) , we felt very safe and had good time in Mexico - including in playa del carmen area .

is the situation in mexico turn to be that bad since we have been there ?!:cry:

oh...how things have changed....
last couple of years drug related crime has escalated out of control. Right now northern Mexico is getting to be like Colombia in the 80's, and it is only going to get worse before it gets better.....I could go on and on with stories,

but I dont want to derail this thread...so help Ride On find a vacation spot :cool:

Back
Top Bottom