Riding in Rutland, VT?

MikeP

thinking of stopping in Rutland on the way up to Stowe this weekend with the family. Anybody ride Pine Hill Park in Rutland? I think Killington would be a waste, especially having to pay for lift passes. My wife and son(12) are low intermediate riders and could handle 6 Mile with a lot of stops, my daughter(14) rides more and can handle 6 Mile well and ride GCC (Summer Sizzler) with only a few spots of trouble. Any info would be appreciated on Pine Hill. Thanks.

Pine hill starts with a 1-2 mile climb, once you're up there, it's pretty sweet. There are quite a few up and downs. Most of the trails are incredibly buff, so really it's a question of stamina for a young kid. There are not too many spots that are very technical. You could also hit green mountain trails and do a shuttle run, you could all ride mostly down together, and then you could ride back up to the car and you're kids and wife could hang out, while you do that. Or if you could all ride the gravel road back to the top. If you're in Stowe, check out the Stowe town loops in cady forest. My son was 8 last year when and he was able to do most of it, with some stops for stamina.

we rode pine hill 7/4. it's a small park with shorter trails but still flowy. there were a lot of blow downs from the previous nights storm, so you might want to reach out to them for conditions. a guide would be optimal for putting together combinations as we sorta just meandered around. all in all it was fun!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/536944624

as mentioned in the previous post green mountain trails in pittsfield are also a blast.

both parks are on maprika.

We ride the tandem at Pine Hill every time we visit friends in Chittenden. We always have a blast there. We will be there in a few weeks.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

I am in Stowe on Sat if you want to meet up.

sorry Don, didn't see this until just now. Didn't get up to Stowe until Saturday nite. Riding Perry Hill Tuesday, with an old friend who moved up to Montpelier after college

No prob - I got out Sat around 5:00 and did a nice loop from the house - up Sterling, around PeakaView down Waterfall and StoweSchool to Kimmers up and then back down. Then to the Matterhorn for a beer, sushi and wings. Let me know if want any trail info but sounds like you have things covered riding Perry Hill!

We're staying at Smuggs, family vacation. They started putting some singletrack on property using the existing xc ski trails and building off that. Some if the stuff was fun. Whoever is doing the building has a decent idea of what they're doing. I did 5 miles w no repeats yesterday but it looks like there's probably double that. A lot of stuff wasn't in the map but marked.

https://www.strava.com/activities/168693114

Last edited:
Didn't know Smugg's had some trail going in. Good to know. Tons of riding up there.

As the others have said, Pine Hill is great. Hope you had a chance to check it out. You can squeeze about 13 miles in there without much doubling back if you're familiar with the system. There's a new trail in the works heading north to link up with another trail system in the area. Don't have all the 411 on that.

If you didn't get to Pine Hill, here's a video of us poking around the place on the fatties in the snow. Forgive the less-than-stellar videography, but it'll give you a sense of the fun bridges and rocky sections there. Those guys know how to build trail..amazing what they squeezed into such a small parcel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkJcYMR5p5k&list=UUtUW3Ou3F7ng_CwK4ZdTvrg

Didn't stop in Rutland this time but plan on stopping up in august on our way to Kingdom Trails. We'll drive up Thursday morning, ride Pine Hill then continue on to KT and ride up there fri, sat, sun. Probably gonna try Millstone too

Back
Top Bottom