Replacing a memory

RetroGrouch

A friend just found an old Voodoo Bizango frame to replace his Bokor that was stolen a while ago. The Bokor frame was a warranty replacement for his first real bike, a late 90s Voodoo Hoodoo.

bizango.jpg

My buddy says the bottom bracket is shot. Can anyone ID the XT crankset and tell me what sort of bottom bracket it needs? I'll give him a new-in-box square taper XT BB from my parts bin if it will fit.

Wschruba and rlb are looking for old headsets.

He found some wheels with an 8 speed cassette and a fork on Craigslist that he hopes to pick up this week.

I found a late 90s XT 8spd rear shifter/v brake lever in a box and hope to find its 3spd front shifter/lever mate.

My old 135mm Dean stem and Titec flat bar should work well enough for Hartshorne.

TBD: derailleurs, linear pull brakes, saddle, tires

Ahh, I see. The hold down bolts are larger in the Octalink stuff so my old school puller may be like a hot dog thrown down a hallway. I'll try stuffing something in there to fill the hole. My tool collection stopped growing in the square taper days except for a GXP BB tool.

@RetroGrouch they used to include a small adaptor pin you could drop in the hole to take up the space, and so use a regular crank extractor. I'll throw one in the headset box, as I no longer need them.

The headset is with the frame thanks to wschruba. You get a gold start for that one.

I rounded up everything that might be suitable from my junk drawers. My friend said it looked like a 2001 Nashbar catalog puked its guts out in my garage. I told him it was more like a 1997 catalog. The bottom bracket won't work. If necessary, I'll build a front wheel using the oddly new (for me) Shimano hub and a rim brake rim if the fork does not have a disc brake mount. I cannot find the front shifter/lever mate for the late 90s 8 speed XT rear shifter/lever. For the other retrogrouches out there... The bar ends have a Feb 1994 production date laser etched on them and the original Ti screws are still in them.

parts.JPG

shifter.JPG

are you sure the lever is v-brake compatible, seems to be older, what's the model #

looking forward to seeing the finished Frankenbike

That lever is absolutely v brake compatible. I operated my Avid Arch Supreme brakes with it. The lever has the little black plastic half moon spacers under the cable pull roller to fine tune the leverage while pulling.

Back
Top Bottom