Real world reaction if/when markets crash? Will this time be different?

The idea behind the estate tax was to level the playing field for each generation. We all start crying, naked and poor. The problem with the estate tax is that it encourages rich people to foolishly spend it before it gets taxed: think Ross Perot. People with names like Kennedy and Rockefeller run for political office and change the rules. Face it, the government is not going to collect much on estate tax. People will instead play Brewster's Millions, and we will end up the worse for it. More money is spent on estate planning than is collected in estate tax. If a sales tax-ish rate of 6-7% were imposed on estates, we might see some Laffer curve pick up in estate tax revenue.

Appreciated assets in an estate get a date of death (or nine months later) step up in basis. Pat bought Weed for $1, and if his estate owns it, his heirs can liquidate it with no income tax.

So, the goal is: Leave you appreciated assets to your kids, sparing them the income tax. Leave your IRAs to charity, as charity is tax-exempt. Oh, and don't run out of money while you are still alive.
The classic estate tax evil is a family farm or other small business that is worth a lot of money because of it's land/building value but doesn't have that much revenue. The kids get hit with the estate tax and have to sell everything.

Tax laws are written by rich people for rich people.

$100K income, married jointly, no kids - 11% total tax rate

$500K (top 1% min) - same parameters - 24% total tax rate
Ahh, silly you, you forgot the loopholes...the problem with your theory here is that the wealthier you are the better you are at hiding income. You are a fool if you really think the wealthy pay a higher relative tax rate. This is where life insurance policies and all the other BS loopholes come into play.

Ahh, silly you, you forgot the loopholes...the problem with your theory here is that the wealthier you are the better you are at hiding income. You are a fool if you really think the wealthy pay a higher relative tax rate. This is where life insurance policies and all the other BS loopholes come into play.

To be honest Dave. The only advise i would consider from you in regards to gaining wealth, is moving to Maryland so i could afford a new bike. 🤘🏻🤘🏻😂

To be honest Dave. The only advise i would consider from you in regards to gaining wealth, is moving to Maryland so i could afford a new bike. 🤘🏻🤘🏻😂
This has nothing to do with gaining wealth. I don't care how you get rich either. I do my own things for myself and my family. Personally I just bought another JPM short note for October 23 expiry and 15% return. Basically $SPX, $NDX and $RTY need to be down 30% from here at expiry to lose money. Even if a month closes 30% down on one of those I only don't get paid that month's premium. I did just buy 200 shares of TQQQ yesterday but expecting to add another 400 over the next month or so for a long term hold.
Now, where do the markets stand in relation to my original crash call in 2020? Well, I guess we will find out soon enough as Jerome Powell seems persistent on pulling every printed dollar(QE) out of the markets since 2009(QT). I don't see markets correcting until we stop raising rates and reverse course.
On a side note, that last crazy sunup in SPACS in early 2021 created a ton of bag holders(many on here) that are now 60-90% in the hole on those. Cathy Woods ARKK ETF being the best example. And I still wouldn't touch that thing at this level. Everyone claims "in the long run it always goes up". Ok, right...so how long will it take before we see 4800 SPX again?

Point proven😳

I definitely invest with the goal to gain wealth
Then you should be retired by now. Every one of you that has all of these great investment plans. I mean, it's really pretty simple. Just double you money 10 times. $2000, 4000, 8000, 16000, 32000, 64000, 128000, 256000, 512000, 1024000...there, you're now a millionaire.

Again, point proven😂

A millions dollars in the bank, three kids at 46.

Retirement... Hell yeah!! Great idea🤘🏻🤘🏻
I don't get your point? And I didn't realize you were that old? Everyone here has all these great retirement plans but pretty much everyone I talk to plans on not retiring until 65 or older. I plan to be done in 12 years.

Haha billionaires are a far cry from those making 100 - 500K.

I don't get your point? And I didn't realize you were that old? Everyone here has all these great retirement plans but pretty much everyone I talk to plans on not retiring until 65 or older. I plan to be done in 12 years.

I don't get waiting until 65 - or older - either, unless you have to. I saw too many at work stick around too long, finally retire and then kick the bucket a few years later. I went out exactly years ago to the day at 58.

Then why all these fancy IRAs, Roths etc if you still wait that long?

tax deferment on trades, and a penalty if you get an urge to buy a boat when the market is up figuring it is going to the moon.
so your $120k becomes $60k and the market tanks and now it is $45k....and the value of the boat goes to $30k, if someone will buy it.

Then you should be retired by now. Every one of you that has all of these great investment plans. I mean, it's really pretty simple. Just double you money 10 times. $2000, 4000, 8000, 16000, 32000, 64000, 128000, 256000, 512000, 1024000...there, you're now a millionaire.

at 7% it doubles every 10 years.
at 10% is doubles every 7 years.
Rule of 72..
there area 40 investing years @ 7%, starting with $60k could make it...

I did the math somewhere else, I think it is $100/week starting at 20 yo
Using $400/month to make it easier. (i could have done it $4800/year.. but it would be quite a bit less cause of the slower compounding)

F = P * ([1 + I]^N - 1 )/I

7% is .07/12 - monthly rate .0058333
40 years * 12 per year = 480

400 * ([1.006]^480-1)/.006 = $1,110,775

At @clarkenstein or @thegock (please check the formula - i think this is the future value of a stream of equal payments.)

tax deferment on trades, and a penalty if you get an urge to buy a boat when the market is up figuring it is going to the moon.
so your $120k becomes $60k and the market tanks and now it is $45k....and the value of the boat goes to $30k, if someone will buy it.

at 7% it doubles every 10 years.
at 10% is doubles every 7 years.
Rule of 72..
there area 40 investing years @ 7%, starting with $60k could make it...

I did the math somewhere else, I think it is $100/week starting at 20 yo
Using $400/month to make it easier. (i could have done it $4800/year.. but it would be quite a bit less cause of the slower compounding)

F = P * ([1 + I]^N - 1 )/I

7% is .07/12 - monthly rate .0058333
40 years * 12 per year = 480

400 * ([1.006]^480-1)/.006 = $1,110,775

At @clarkenstein or @thegock (please check the formula - i think this is the future value of a stream of equal payments.)
And if you're lucky that $1.1 mil will last you about 10 years.

And if you're lucky that $1.1 mil will last you about 10 years.

The good news is the 50 year return is over 10% with reinvested dividends....
The 30 year return is 9.9%
so maybe get an extra double+ in there somewhere.
Still isn't going to last without being smart about it.
given the investor was smart enough to get there, i bet they can manage the other side.

Back
Top Bottom