Rattlesnakes

I was surprised when I learned that there's a specific population of rattlesnakes in Ringwood...just after buying our house...in Ringwood. I have the highest respect for the animal but they scare the living sould out of me! The thing is the house doesn't have a basement but a rather shallow crawl space which I have to enter every time the electric, plumbing or A/C need servicing. So far I've only encounter cave crickets (which freak me out a big deal) but finding a rattlesnake in a crawl space where I can barely roll around would take it up a notch in terms of extreme experiences. I kind of feel not so bad about the ridiculous population of squirrels and chipmunks as well as the occasional deer mouse as they would not be so bold with a rattlesnake out and about...I hope!

There’s no reason to kill one of these, they’re amongst the most mild-mannered rattlesnakes in NA. You really need to antagonize when to get it into defensive mode. I see them in Ringwood quite often, just watch out because they blend in perfectly with the leaf litter.

Reason ticks are at an all-time high is because of the deer. The abundance of hawks, owls, foxes, and coyotes have been doing a good job with the smaller vermin. The deer though are dropping ticks off right in our yards.

so if my little trail dog is with me and he runs past this guy would he attack or what??

so if my little trail dog is with me and he runs past this guy would he attack or what??

They typically send a warning with a rattle that you are too close and will strike if they feel threatened. I was riding from the lookout on yellow to the top of white last July and almost ran over this timber rattler. It gave me a warning which definitely startled me. I steered clear and let it go it’s way.
6CC9CED6-2BF2-4A28-B385-6AFE0EE3F5BA.jpeg

Thanks for letting me know, i’ll complete the form provided on that website once I’m home. I didn’t realize they’re endangered, but given this is my first encounter of one in over 5 years of New Jersey mountain biking it makes sense. Really a beautiful animal.
I saw a 6’ timber rattler out at Hawk Mountain a few years back. We reported it to the visitor center and it went in file.

Whoa, that’s s big one! @capedoc is that a water moccasin?
I cant see it well enough to ID. If it's New Jersey or north of here than no, it's not a water moccasin (cottonmouth). They are not native to this area. Water Moccasins are only found from Virginia to the south, and throughout the Mississippi River Basin. It's most likely a northern water snake.

Back
Top Bottom