R.I.P. Blackie

John Baumann

Blackie is(was) my 12 year old Trek Fuel 90.

Yesterday while working some gnar at MD with the Bfat clan, the frame broke right at the top tube/seat tube juncture. We had to bail despite it starting as a very good ride for us(me and Blackie- that is).

This was my first dual suspension bike. I bought it in an effort to advance my riding skills and technique. We've seen alot of action together, but it was a strange relationship.

Through the years, I never really became as devoted a rider as I have been recently. My interest waxed and waned in between whatever else was going on in my life. Blackie was either gettin' the sh*t beaten out of him by an inexperienced yet brutal rider, or neglected in the corner of a garage with last months mud and grime working its way into his soul.

I was hard on the bike, but always had it repaired and even upgraded alot of it. I often felt like it was an unreliable machine and that it was the cause of several crashes and injuries. But, I stayed with it knowing somewhere in my heart that the problem was more likely the loose nut behind the wheel.

After the first JORBA Fest and then signing on board here, I became somewhat hardcore. The nonsense in my life was ironed out and I could settle into a serious past-time. I bought a new mountain bike. A full squish 29er. I loved it so much, rode regularly, and became a decent handler.

Blackie became relegated to second string... only to be called upon when The Beast(my 29er) was in for service. I often still had trouble with him, and began to think that maybe he just didn't fit me right. The front end was squirrelly, it was hard to hold traction no matter what tire I used, and I got seriously hurt for the last time. But, once in a while he would shine....

Like yesterday. I went into the ride with caution as the watchword. We synched well and rode like one. We were clearing stuff that would be iffy on my best day on my best bike. An overwhelming enlightenment occured to me that the problem had been me all along and not the bike.

Shortly thereafter- snap, klunk, broken frame. It was over. For you guys, this might be just some guys bike story. But for me, it's a major life lesson.

I'll miss you Blackie. You deserved better...

Hey, sounds like a good end for a mountain bike: You weren't hurt and 12 years is a long time for an alloy frame!

Well, before it cracked, I witnessed you climb up on that rock like a mountain goat. Way to go! Sorry about the frame though :(

It went out in a blaze of glory.....

My first good mountain bike was a red Fat Chance I bought 1985 and rode everywhere, mountain, road and commuting for 11 years. It was my only bike and got big miles every one of those years. It was still OK at the end except the seatpost was stuck worse than I've ever seen. I guess I went a couple of years without checking it.
I then went through a ton of framesets, two Bontragers, several Bridgestones, a Rivendell Mountain Expedition and a really nice Schwinn Paramountain. I then bought a used Wicked Fat for 75 bucks and quickly discovered it worked way better for me than all the other frames. Rode it for a year or two and found a used Fat City Cycles Ti Fat frame that was going to be my mountain bike for the rest of my life...... then 29ers came along. I still like the Ti but rarely ride it, now it's just my Curtlo and Blackbuck and my Karate Monkey in the winter.
I'm perfectly happy with my rides but I still get a jones for a McClung sometimes.
bruce.b

It went out in a blaze of glory.....

My first good mountain bike was a red Fat Chance I bought 1985 and rode everywhere, mountain, road and commuting for 11 years. It was my only bike and got big miles every one of those years. It was still OK at the end except the seatpost was stuck worse than I've ever seen. I guess I went a couple of years without checking it.
I then went through a ton of framesets, two Bontragers, several Bridgestones, a Rivendell Mountain Expedition and a really nice Schwinn Paramountain. I then bought a used Wicked Fat for 75 bucks and quickly discovered it worked way better for me than all the other frames. Rode it for a year or two and found a used Fat City Cycles Ti Fat frame that was going to be my mountain bike for the rest of my life...... then 29ers came along. I still like the Ti but rarely ride it, now it's just my Curtlo and Blackbuck and my Karate Monkey in the winter.
I'm perfectly happy with my rides but I still get a jones for a McClung sometimes.
bruce.b

Boy you're quite the darkhorse aren't you? ;) That's some stable.

Sorry for your loss, she died doing what she loved. :cry:

Some people think bikes don't have souls, it seems like Blackie had one hell of a soul.

Back
Top Bottom