Question about exercise and weight loss

I realize the sensitivity involved with most of these threads, but if it ever comes up in the mens lockroom Im gonna tell it how it is, plain and simple.

I realize the sensitivity involved with most of these threads, but if it ever comes up in the mens lockroom Im gonna tell it how it is, plain and simple.

Are you forgetting that you are in the ladies locker room right now :popcorn:

I do believe, to a point, that those of us who have been enormous don't actually get to play by the same rules. But I don't know the OP's history so I'm not going to assume anything.

i agree norm - there are many factors unknown here - but i think generally speaking - a good place to start is to start tracking your calories to see exactly how much you're taking in - once you start counting - you realize how quickly you can be in the 3000-4000-5000 calorie range if you arent paying attention to what and more importantly how much you eat

FFT, let me first say that you mentioned proper spelling and in your own post misspelled a word. That's pretty funny. Let me also say that I am so glad that in your little world every thing is so perfect and black and white.

Let me also stress that in no way did you or anyone else offend me here, and I welcome the fellas comments.

It is NOT as easy as calories in and calories out. I mentioned (lightly) that I have had professional assistance in this weight loss thing. My figure is not a true indicator of my diet habits. There are thyroid issues as well as genetics that make losing weight for me VERY hard. As well as the stress factor in my life, which thankfully has changed.

My original question was geared toward finding some answers why I can go to the gym and work out and sweat for 6 months and not lose an inch, but 2 months on the bike has accomplished something. There were many tidbits that were shared that can explain why. Perhaps it is not just one thing but a combination of them. So FFT, stop being so stuffy and say "hey way to go on losing some inches and keep it up" or I may throw a rock at you if I ever meet you. You really dont have to be so intimidated by us girls you know. We are people too.

I swore I would stay away because I have an history of unintentionally crossing the line and bad spelling but here goes. First off, welcome to the site, I assume your kinda new and I didnt get a chance to roll out the red carpet. Second, congrats on whatever goals youve been meeting, Its more than I can say for myself. Third, I can only tell you about my experience as these things differ for everyone.

My story starts and ends two years ago. My doctors always told me I was overweight, whatever. I was leading a lifesyle that was part xgames, part 'jersey shore', part 'celebrity rehab', and part all you can eat buffet. After a cardiac cath and complications as a result my doctor said 'your gonna die'. I wanted to piss him off so I turned over a new leaf. Ive gone into detail as to my diet and workout routine in other threads. If your interested you can skim through them. The only thing on my bucket list is to quit smoking. Today is day 2. But heres what ive learned:

The gym. I dont even know where to start so I will go with a chinese food buffet syle and just wing stuff out there. I spent half a lifetime in there and have read more magazines and taken more supplements than I care to imagine. And I was a cheater, big time. This is what I can tell you. Weights add weight. End of story, dont listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Resistance training is going to tear muscle down and the protein in your diet will built it back bigger than when you started. I could get scientific about amino acids and all that other stuff but Im not in the mood. Yes muscle burns more than fat but its not part of the 2nd grade math problem i mentioned earlier. Its more like calculus. For now its food-exercise=results.

The trainers: I dont know why they are there but unless you see one standing behind someone for an hour and a half at the eliptical its a waste of money. Get a heart rate monitor instead and study the charts, this is where fat is burned. Elevated heart rate for an extended period of time (see a doctor if ticker aint beatin right).

Food. This is the easy part(dont eat any). I think norm linked an article where people were drinking mop bucket water once a day or something. That just about sums it up. Add a few fruits and veggies and prepare to starve. When Im dieting I will have several sugar free jello cups per day just to avoid killing people. If you want to loose weight be ready to weight food in grams and journal it. Its the only way I know whats going in. I use my fitness. Self honesty becomes a major hurdle, especially when your hallucinating about sugar packets or an extra grape. Seriously.

Now, for the results BS. I can do it in either direction. Weight training I put 37lbs on in one month. My mother was fvcking furious because my little sister told her how. When I stopped training it all turned to fat, I got real depressed and went on a 5 year hiatus from life. I had to loose all that weight if I wanted to be a happy healthy pearson. I started reading and doing high intensity polymetrics and a sub 2000 cal diet. Im currently down about 25lbs, of which 15 was muscle. Im lighter, faster, and stronger than before the weight loss. Im currently not dieting and feel it. I hope I answered your question about the gym, if not, so be it. I wish you luck.

FFT, I personally dont feel you crossed a line. Just things are not so black and white for everyone. Dont be so quick to judge that fat girl and think that she doesnt eat right and exercise, because it may not be so. Thats all. :D

So when I meet you, I am not going to throw a rock at you, I am going to give you a big hug instead.

Good job on getting healthier.

Finally joined the gym today for 3 months. It helps me through the winter lul and fits easier into my sched. I have to fit exersize into my life or i go crazier. I also love food in all forms and beer and wine. So i must keep moving....

Finally joined the gym today for 3 months. It helps me through the winter lul and fits easier into my sched. I have to fit exersize into my life or i go crazier. I also love food in all forms and beer and wine. So i must keep moving....

Me too. I joined Monday. First day back in 10 months. I was starting to feel flabby. :cry:

Few more days and I will be measuring my waistline again (the first of the month) but I now have 2 pairs of pants that I dont need to unzip or unsnap them to pull them off. So the fat is melting WOO HOO!

I definitely dont do the weight thing but go by size, how I look, how I feel. I feel more fit now than I fit 3 months ago and dont huff and puff when I run up a flight of stairs.

While I really havent changed my diet much as I was already "dieting" I did tweak a few small things here and there. first when I look at a food I want, I ask myself "will this make me faster or slower on the bike?"

Next, the only butter I was using (I LOVE butter, harder to give up than chocolate! :cry:) was a TINY dab to fry an egg. I decided to use a tiny drop of olive oil instead for the "good" fats, and WOW! Love it. WAY better than cooking with butter. I havent used butter in over a week.

Then, if I do feel like a salty crunchy snack, I buy baked chips that are "all natural" whole grain no cholesterol no trans fat no GLUTEN etc and rather than eat out of the bag actually measure out a serving and put it in a bowl and make it a point to not eat all of them.

and finally 2 changes hard to do...I love tomato soup. Specifically Campbells brand. Good God ever read the ingredients???? Its awful!
So now I make my own. Its even yummier and surely healthier.
Then the pasta. LOVE pasta. But now I restrict it to ONCE a week and again, dont rely on my eyes, but measure out the serving size. NO BUTTER :cry: but a little sauce instead...hummm maybe olive oil?
To substitute the need for that full feeling from the pasta I eat a wild rice blend (black, brown, red) now and again, which is quite yummy and goes great in my soup.

Everything I buy now I try to buy a whole grain and gluten free version of it if I can. Gotta keep those arteries clear you know!

I also drink only one cup of coffee a day rather than 2, and drink water till I cant stand it.

Biking works!

happier and feel better than I have in a looonnngggg time.

Still dont weigh myself, but total 6 inches off the waist. Just thought ya all would like to know :D

Oh heck yea! I'm plugging away but certainly not at the rate you are. Congrats!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

:).....And now that spring & summer are arriving it gets a tad easier. Making it through the winter without gaining & keeping active is key. Keep up the good work !!

I do feel like I need to "up my game" though.

I ride every morning with hubby, but now I am looking to do an afternoon ride as well. Since we do trails in the morning, I may do road rides in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom