Q&A: Watts, Free To a Good Home -or- CX skills to make you faster, faster

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Free watts are all over the course. @Dominos likens it to grabbing those magic mushroom power-ups in Super Mario. You just have to reach out and grab them.

giphy.gif

In bike racing, watts matter. But in cross, you can be more handsomely rewarded for good technical ability than any other type of racing. Why? Math.

The cross course has about 50-60 corners per lap and it has two to three "features" that require dismounting. Usually, the cat 3/4/5 fields will complete 6 laps. This means during a race you might face as many as 300 corners and have to get off and on your bike 12-15 times.

In a typical ~80-100 person cat 4/5 field, somebody finishing in the top 25th percentile will complete the race 2 minute faster than somebody in the 50th percentile--that's 20 seconds per lap. There is a similar time gap between the 50th percentile and the 75th percentile. In other words, if you can shave 2 minutes off your race (or 20 seconds per lap), you will beat 20-25 more people. But how!?

Shave 1/4 second off every corner: boom, 75 seconds. Now if you can save 1-2 second per dismount/remount, you are practically at 120 seconds. Combine this with a little extra fitness and its easy to see how you can go from a mid-pack finisher to somebody at the pointy end of the race pretty quickly. Cornering ability, smoothness, line choice, technique, etc.... These things matter a great deal.

@The Heckler and I were chatting about doing a cross technique & skills thread...something like the CXMagazaine Techique Tuesdays. These days, there are so many more resources available to learn technique than there was even a couple years ago including clinics/cross-camps, practices, articles, coaches, etc... He raised the question about how this would be different. We concluded that the difference is this is much more community oriented -- Q&A with people you know, about courses or course features you actually get to experience. There is already a lot of great technique info discussed on race reports and blogs which gets lost in the noise and is hard to retrieve. Hopefully this format will be more useful to more folks.

This first post will be the index to the various topics. There is rarely a right way vs. a wrong way. Different things work for different folks. The hope is that this thread will fuel some good discussion and we will all learn something to give us some free watts.

INDEX:
Race Starts: "What Just happened?? I think I ran over my buddy!"
Brown Lines (Don’t Do It): Cyclocross Line Choice

Last edited:
First Caller: @hotsauce asks the following:

HELP HELP HELP!!
As my first season racing cross coming from the road, I'm getting comfortable with the technical skills and feel like I have a big enough engine for now. My biggest struggle is doing well at the start. Every race I get swamped and then spend the last 90% of the race trying to make up the ground I lost which is getting frustrating! As I'm getting ready to upgrade to Cat 4, staying towards the front is going to matter more and very well could have been the difference between me and points the last few races. Outside of peddling like hell, what should I do to do better at the start?

Maybe more of an equipment question, but how much do I really give up by running one set of tires (say Challenge Grifos) all season vs. having dedicated mud or sand tires available when the course might be better suited to them?

Won't this thread also make your competition faster?:confused:

This will be a good learning experience. Thanks guys!

To Delish and all in the race report thread: Thanks for your help! (not sure how to do the @ thingie)

Especially at Town Hall this weekend, I didn't feel like I had the ability to pedal hard from the gun. It seemed like everyone was pedaling away and I was stuck in the mud. I rode 3 laps of practice before and tried to make the last a hot lap and get my HR up, though Strava tells me it was a 1:30 slower than actual race pace. I had about 20 minutes after my warm up before staging and I should have stayed moving more than I did. I wanted to get my HR down but now I know to keep the engine on.

A good chunk of my hesitation stems from not wanting to crash into the rider in front of me or getting caught in a pile up going around a corner. I think being a bit more aggressive is necessary, even if it means a little light rubbing. Though in reality, there's plenty of room and feeling like I'm being aggressive will probably be just right.

I have a front row call up at Caffeinated on Sunday. Let's hope open road/grass in front of me makes it easier.

Thanks again for the help!

I would like to apply for membership with Team Free Watts p/b Doughnuts, how can I make this happen? Gee, I hope the form isn't too long...

Subscribed.

Question for @Delish

How do I determine the optimal line ? How do I know I am taking it?

I feel like I am, but what if I am just lying to myself and overestimating my skill?

Question for @Delish

I feel like I am, but what if I am just lying to myself and overestimating my skill?

Go ride laps while the UCI racers are out there warming up. They take the correct lines.

Question for @Delish

This is my favorite:
Go ride laps while the UCI racers are out there warming up. They take the correct lines.

but I am looking forward to this answer as well. @gtluke also said everyone should play a Gran Turismo for one day to understand apexes. As a car enthusiast, the optimal line in terms of dry/apex situations is natural. once weather, the ground, off camber, all that come into it, I'm a sheep.

This is my favorite:

but I am looking forward to this answer as well. @gtluke also said everyone should play a Gran Turismo for one day to understand apexes. As a car enthusiast, the optimal line in terms of dry/apex situations is natural. once weather, the ground, off camber, all that come into it, I'm a sheep.

I am a GT veteran. I understand the fastest lines and setting up for the next and then the next.... But want to see a real cross translation.

Want to drop this one here now before we hit the second page.

I see this string of threads as a series of 200 level classes. Bicycles 101 is whatever amount of time you spend pedaling whatever bike however many times a week.

Your base might be a ride a week, a full MTB race season, a year of road riding casually, hell maybe you've been riding an indoor trainer all year long and decided 'man that grass looks appetizing,' either way you're here because you pedal and you like to pedal and thought "hell, maybe i'll pedal a new way!"

Let's call Bicycles 102 your first exposure to racing. Maybe you went to cheer on a friend racing MTB, maybe you went to a CX race to see the spectacle. Either way, in Bicycles 102 you something inside your brain told you, woahhh racing looks like a good idea!

CX level classes start around CX110. You've dabbled in the blanket subject of bicycles, riding, gear, clothing. You already drool over build ideas. Maybe you even own more bikes then days of the week. Maybe you don't. CX 110 is your first CX race. You're a freshman, it's second semester and you're thinking about declaring a major, maybe a second major, maybe you're just auditing the class, perhaps you're in for a company sponsored continued of education.

I hope everyone goes out and just jumps into their first race without any preparation on whatever bike they have and just goes with the flow. CX110 is very important. It's about not just seeing, but being a part of the spectacle. Experiencing everything your friends have talked about first hand and going with it.

STORY TIME FROM BEFORE THE HECKLE REPORT WAS A THING
January 2013 - Madison, NJ
My best friend from college Zach got a job at my company, moved down to NJ and we started riding together end of that month. We both had two+ years of mountain biking/commuting and wrenching together at the UMass Bikecoop but this would be the start of our regular riding outside of the nice weather months.

Zach had raced a couple races the year before with a couple of our buddies Luke and Ty. I went to one at Cheshire to cheer him on with our buddy Dan. This was my Bicycles 102 with a focus in CX. Dan and I got wasted and cheered for Zach who finished 10th or so in the Cat 4 field. He was hyped, I was hyped, EVERYONE WAS HYPED.

We decided we should race CX that coming fall. I bought his Soma Double Cross off him and he got a Surly Crosscheck. We built the bikes planning to tour from NYC to Montreal and then race them in the fall. I broke my hand mid May and was off the bike the whole month of June. I was just healed enough to do the tour the week of July 4th.

Fast forward to August 25th. CX110. We met in Monson MA for our first weekend of racing. The course was at a school and had some pretty gnarly sections. There was a fast double track downhill through the woods followed by a sandy roller with a 90 degree turn at the bottom. I flatted in the woods and ran/rode half a lap at which point I left the course, went to the car and stole the rear wheel off Zach's GF's bike. I got back on the course and finished 26th/40. Our buddy Andrew won the race.

I was hooked.

I hadn't even done a cross practice before hand. I remember practicing mounts in Luke and Ty's driveway the next morning before we drove to race in Springfield. Barriers were done however I could get over them, I adopted the drive-side mount before I knew any better and the rest is history. I was racing a 50/36 11-32 set up. THE WHOLE 25 RACE SEASON. I survived, and I had fun doing it.

Yes you can race your mountain bike (sans bar ends), yes you can race your hybrid, yes you can race your tourer. The point is get out and try it, use your feelers to assess everything going on that day. CX110 should be one of those Libby self taught spiritual guidance classes. There are no tests and it's okay to show up hung over.

Get through CX 110 before you start fretting too hard. Bike racing is fun as hell and your first bunch of races should be about learning on the fly, laughing at your mistakes and meeting people.

Great... let the recurring nightmares about skipping class at college and not graduating begin... Thanks.

Great... let the recurring nightmares about skipping class at college and not graduating begin... Thanks.
I actually started having those about 3 years our of school, only I was enrolled in classes I didn't know about.

MAYBE ITS ALL CX RELATED.

Back
Top Bottom